997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Is everyone going PDK???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 06:20 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
^ Ummm, stomp on the gas, steer, AND shift.

*edit: And in response to an earlier comment about canyon driving and not having your hands in the right position to shift... It depends on your style, and position of shifters. In the GT-R, they are fixed (with an aftermarket ability to have them turn with the wheel - I prefer them fixed), in the 911 they are mounted on the wheel, and can be actuated either frontwards or backwards. So this would be something else to keep in mind as well, I guess.

Last edited by jaspergtr; 03-18-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:30 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
*edit: And in response to an earlier comment about canyon driving and not having your hands in the right position to shift... It depends on your style, and position of shifters. In the GT-R, they are fixed (with an aftermarket ability to have them turn with the wheel - I prefer them fixed), in the 911 they are mounted on the wheel, and can be actuated either frontwards or backwards. So this would be something else to keep in mind as well, I guess.
On the GTI they are fixed to the steering wheel. I found myself looking down to find them, which is obviously not too safe LOL. I think I would prefer not to have them turn with the wheel either; that way you know where they are at all times.
On the upside, you can also shift by pushing the shift **** up and down; I do it that way. I imagine the PDK does the same thing.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:04 PM
JamesNJB is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sbkim
Great question. It would be awesome to hear from people lucky enough to have owned 997.1 manual and PDK. I just got my 08 6 speed but after reading all of these glowing reviews and test results, I am having pdk envy
I recently traded my 1year old 997.2 C2S PDK for a 997.1 Turbo manual. PDK was very efficient but more often than not I left it in auto mode, and didn't involve myself in the 'driving' of the car. 6pseed just feels like a good part of the 911 experience for me. It's totally subjective of course.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:36 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JamesNJB
I recently traded my 1year old 997.2 C2S PDK for a 997.1 Turbo manual. PDK was very efficient but more often than not I left it in auto mode, and didn't involve myself in the 'driving' of the car. 6pseed just feels like a good part of the 911 experience for me. It's totally subjective of course.
I only use automatic mode warming up the car or in gridlock traffic. In short my car is basically a more efficient manual when I want it to be an an automatic when I need it to be .

Old 03-18-2010, 09:45 PM
drkbrent is a jewel in the roughdrkbrent is a jewel in the roughdrkbrent is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
a proper driver's car has 3 pedals. Shifting is an art form and a very rewarding part of driving the car. The only way i'll get paddle shifters is if i already have a sports car with a 6 speed.
exactly!

Old 03-19-2010, 05:31 AM
P2P
P2P is a jewel in the roughP2P is a jewel in the roughP2P is a jewel in the roughP2P is a jewel in the rough
I prefer the MT over the AT.
& yes i didnt try the PDK but i think it has the soul of the AT.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:09 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by P2P
I prefer the MT over the AT.
& yes i didnt try the PDK but i think it has the soul of the AT.
This is a pretty bold statement to make (thank you for offering the entire piece).

Prejudging, are we?

My oldest son didn't like chocolate for the first 3 years of his life (he refused to eat it), he said it looked like poo.

I'm just saying, try it. You'll notice a difference. A PDK (DCT) car will not choose the gear for you (like the suggestive manu-matics of today), unless you allow it to. You may not like it, but at least you'll know, without a doubt, what it is like.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:22 AM
P2P
P2P is a jewel in the roughP2P is a jewel in the roughP2P is a jewel in the roughP2P is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
This is a pretty bold statement to make (thank you for offering the entire piece).

Prejudging, are we?

My oldest son didn't like chocolate for the first 3 years of his life (he refused to eat it), he said it looked like poo.

I'm just saying, try it. You'll notice a difference. A PDK (DCT) car will not choose the gear for you (like the suggestive manu-matics of today), unless you allow it to. You may not like it, but at least you'll know, without a doubt, what it is like.
I didnt give a prejudge for the PDK but i said i love the soul of the MT the way u use the clutch with the engage lever & how its harmonic together it makes u feel the car like a 1 peace with ur body ,, U R controlling every thing. Thats what i mean. The PDK is an advanced technology
and has its advantages but i like the old school style of riding

Old 03-19-2010, 07:34 PM
nina is infamous around these parts
Do you want to drive the car or do you want the computer to drive the car???

Old 03-19-2010, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by nina
Do you want to drive the car or do you want the computer to drive the car???
I think I get the point of what you're saying, but I don't view F-1 drivers as letting the computer control the car...

Old 03-20-2010, 10:00 AM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
i love my 6speed and i'll never let it go 6speed for now and 6speed for later ... PDK or What ever!

Old 06-01-2011, 03:21 PM
CarreraTurbo is infamous around these parts
Thumbs down Long-term PDK experience

I've noticed that it has been over a year since the last post on this thread. I am curious to hear from those who have been driving PDK for a year or longer about their driving experience. Do you still like it, would you change to the manual if you'd have to decide again?

I drove PDK Panamera for 8 months. Loved the car, or so I thought while trying to adjust to the PDK. After about 4 months I grew progressively frustrated with the PDK, I even started to question why do I have a Porsche. I offered Panamera to my wife to replace her Acura MDX. After driving it a few times she said that she'd rather continue driving her MDX because she did not like how PDK felt to her in city traffic. Shortly after that I sold Panamera and felt very happy that day as I've just sold a boat. Getting back into 6 speed Turbo resurrected my enjoyment of driving and the appreciation of Porsche as a brand. Long-live 6speed MT!

Old 06-01-2011, 04:12 PM
thebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nice
After owning 2 Carreras along the way, both manuals and now with a Turbo S and PDK, I don't miss the hassle of the manual at all - if it were faster or more responsive, that would be one thing - but it's not. Just got back from Porsche's Driving school last week and the Porsche drivers all concurred that if speed and performance is your game, the PDK is the best option.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:22 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Automated manuals are a HUGE step over the traditional slushbox but for a fun ride, my preference still goes out to a car with a good ol' clutch; it's just fun!

Old 06-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
I guess that's why Porsche makes both versions. Because I learned one thing for sure on this forum not everyone will agree on the same thing.
I am a 6 speeder for now and probably will be as long as I can push the clutch down.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is everyone going PDK???