997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Trouble with TPMS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 01:03 PM
getz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud of
Trouble with TPMS

Well I finally picked up my 2007 Turbo yesterday, and part of the CPO process, they put on new rear tires. Driving home I got a message stating that the tire pressure monitoring system was inactive and I need to set new parameters. I have been fooling around with it for about an hour and still no luck. I have put in summer tyres, clicked everything in allegedly right per the manual, and still get the red exclamation point and yellow tpms warning. Any suggestions?
-Getz

Old 03-20-2010, 03:14 PM
alin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud of
Any chance the dealer forgot to put the sensors on the rear wheels after putting the new tires on?

Old 03-20-2010, 03:34 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Once you reset the TPMS, you do need to drive for several miles. IIRC, the fronts come online before the rears. If you have already done this, then the idea they forgot the sensors is probably valid.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:24 PM
getz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud of
lol. I bet they forgot to put on the sensors.
-Getz

Old 03-20-2010, 06:28 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
But it begs the question, "Why would they remove the TPMS sensors to change the tires?"

Old 03-20-2010, 06:45 PM
handdoc is infamous around these parts
there is a tool to check if the sensors are working, start there...dealer or tire store

if there is no signal then either they are faulty or not there

Old 03-20-2010, 07:12 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
I've had a faulty sensor and still had the 3 other tires show up so my question is do you see pressure listed for the front tires?

If not, it may be that the sensors were used on other wheels and not put on the ones on the car.

If the car was CPO'ed the dealer didn't do a very good job if they missed out on the TPM sensors.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:10 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Takes about twenty minutes of driving to reset on average.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:00 PM
Justahonda has much to be proud ofJustahonda has much to be proud ofJustahonda has much to be proud ofJustahonda has much to be proud ofJustahonda has much to be proud ofJustahonda has much to be proud ofJustahonda has much to be proud ofJustahonda has much to be proud of
There really is no way to "forget to install the sensors" The sensors are the valve stem. If you have aluminum valve stems on all the wheels you have the sensors. Im sure they just forgot to set the parameters (which you already did). After you set them up like you said you have to drive the vehicle may take yo to 20+ miles. It has different guidlines it looks at, and they must be met before they are able to read. Just take it for a highway cruise and the light will shut off

Old 03-21-2010, 12:03 AM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Justahonda
The sensors are the valve stem. If you have aluminum valve stems on all the wheels you have the sensors.
The sensors are ATTACHED to special metal valve stems but I had metal valve stems put in a set of track wheels and they don't have sensors. My point is that metal stems DON'T necessarily mean you have sensors. However, if the stems are rubber you DEFINITELY DO NOT have sensors.

Im sure they just forgot to set the parameters (which you already did). After you set them up like you said you have to drive the vehicle may take yo to 20+ miles. It has different guidlines it looks at, and they must be met before they are able to read. Just take it for a highway cruise and the light will shut off
The funny thing is when I change to the track wheels it will sometimes take 10-15 minutes before the warning light comes on, but when I change back to my road wheels (with sensors) I can see the pressure reading within 2-3 minutes.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Well the sensors are working as it displays pressure in all 4 tires, however, it keeps asking me to enter new paramters. I have no idea what that entails, as I have gone through the menu selecting the summer tyre option, ect., but still get the same error. It records pressures in all 4 as within the specs in the owners manual, although at 39 psi in the rears, that is higher than what I have seen in performance cars in the past. They had to order the tires in which took a couple of days, but the CPO process went well and the car is in great shape per the tech whom worked on it. I pushed them to get the car to me before the weekend as the tires came in late friday, so they must have forgoten to reset the system, which I have failed miserably at my attempts as well. I have definetly driven it longer than 20 minutes
-Getz

Old 03-21-2010, 01:33 PM
You might the the following.

Inflate your tires to the desired levels.

Use the stalk on the left to:
TPM > Load > Partial
TPM > Set > Winter (probably not necessary, but easy)
TMP > Set > Summer
Go on a continuous drive until all four pressures are displayed. If this does not resolve your issue, go to the dealer.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by sparkhill
You might the the following.

Inflate your tires to the desired levels.

Use the stalk on the left to:
TPM > Load > Partial
TPM > Set > Winter (probably not necessary, but easy)
TMP > Set > Summer
Go on a continuous drive until all four pressures are displayed. If this does not resolve your issue, go to the dealer.
Thanks I will give it a try. For some reason I can't get the load function to come up, but I have done the summer tyre setting.
-Getz