997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Tiptronic in Sport mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 01:08 PM
getz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud of
Tiptronic in Sport mode

I apolgize for all the noob questions, and I promise I have been using the search section. However, I have noticed that when in sport mode that the tiptronic still starts from a stanstill in 2nd gear, where as the manual states in should start in 1st. Is this simply a misprint in the manual, or is it operator error :P I have been using the buttons to select 1st manually, but it seems somewhat counter productive to the whole "sport" tuning of the tiptronic. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
-Getz

Old 03-21-2010, 01:30 PM
W1N
W1N is a jewel in the roughW1N is a jewel in the roughW1N is a jewel in the roughW1N is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by getz
I apolgize for all the noob questions, and I promise I have been using the search section. However, I have noticed that when in sport mode that the tiptronic still starts from a stanstill in 2nd gear, where as the manual states in should start in 1st. Is this simply a misprint in the manual, or is it operator error :P I have been using the buttons to select 1st manually, but it seems somewhat counter productive to the whole "sport" tuning of the tiptronic. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
-Getz
I think it works such way that you turn on the sport mode, spress brakes hard and start revving up. It switches to the first and launch control will beep. Then just release the the brake and you're off.

And at least for me when I turn on the sport mode you need to do it at full stop and it will go to first at next stop. not at where you at when turning the sport on. You can do it while driving too.

I think...

Old 03-21-2010, 02:37 PM
dk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by getz
Thanks,
-Getz
I have an 07 C4S but I bet the programming is similar. I think the transmission is adaptive so it will "learn" what your driving patterns are. If you accelerate hard in sport, it will start you in 1st, at least that's what seems to happen with mine.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:19 PM
zooyorkthang is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by W1N
I think it works such way that you turn on the sport mode, spress brakes hard and start revving up. It switches to the first and launch control will beep. Then just release the the brake and you're off.

And at least for me when I turn on the sport mode you need to do it at full stop and it will go to first at next stop. not at where you at when turning the sport on. You can do it while driving too.

I think...
Did I miss the tiptronic launch control section in the manual somewhere? I thought the launch control was first introduce in the new pdk models. If so where is it under? thanks

Old 03-21-2010, 03:33 PM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by zooyorkthang
Did I miss the tiptronic launch control section in the manual somewhere? I thought the launch control was first introduce in the new pdk models. If so where is it under? thanks
There is no launchcontrol on the tiptronic.

On sport mode the car starts on 1st gear but if you drive it normal it will strart to act like on normal mode

Old 03-21-2010, 04:10 PM
W1N
W1N is a jewel in the roughW1N is a jewel in the roughW1N is a jewel in the roughW1N is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by milou
There is no launchcontrol on the tiptronic.

On sport mode the car starts on 1st gear but if you drive it normal it will strart to act like on normal mode
well at least there is in the 2010 model. You engage sport mode, step on the brakes, press gas and as the rpm's are over like 3000 it will beep to signal you are ready to launch. Have seen it myself.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:15 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by W1N
well at least there is in the 2010 model.
There's a big difference between Tiptronic and PDK. Launch control is only available on PDK and the '10 model is PDK. OP has Tiptronic.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:57 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
So tip cars do not have launch control...However by pressing the brakes and throttle simultanesly the car boosts up and when you release brake take off takes place...How do we name this procedure...?

Old 03-22-2010, 03:43 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
brake launch

Old 03-22-2010, 08:58 AM
W1N
Originally Posted by skandalis447
So tip cars do not have launch control...However by pressing the brakes and throttle simultanesly the car boosts up and when you release brake take off takes place...How do we name this procedure...?

Scary?!

Old 03-22-2010, 10:29 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by W1N
Scary?!
if someone is in front of you...

Old 03-23-2010, 05:20 PM
Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !
Mine starts in 2nd gear when cold- once you run it up high in the rpm range and then come to a standstill it drops into 1st. You can always manually place it in first if you like too by using the paddles but if you shift back to Auto while at a stop it will revert back to 2nd.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:34 PM
M3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the rough
If you drive the car hard in sport mode, it will drop to first gear. The harder you push the car in sport mode that faster the transmission reacts.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:18 AM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by skandalis447
We used to call it power braking.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:34 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ruf_turbo
We used to call it power braking.
Universally it is called power braking, but then again it refers more to the procedure where you want to light your tires up in RWD cars

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic in Sport mode