997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Which are the five lightest wheels for the 997 turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 09:29 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Those BBS are great wheels, very tempting. I'm surprised they will mod the hub to accept the Porsche centercap, that was always an issue in the past.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:54 PM
SpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by milou
I was searching around for the lightest wheels available for the 997 turbo but couldn't find much info, it would be a good idea if sponsors or owners could post images and specs of their lightweight wheels.

There are some post but not all of them have details and specs like what are they made of, weight, offset etc.

thx
u do realize that light weight alloys are very unstable at high speeds, dont u ?

Old 03-27-2010, 08:58 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SpunkyQ8
u do realize that light weight alloys are very unstable at high speeds, dont u ?
Huh?

Old 03-27-2010, 11:33 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by milou
About a month ago i contacted BBS Germany asking for info, and this is what they replied

BBS
The FI (Forged Individual) is the high end product of our product range.
It is a forged monobloc wheel which we offer in the following specifications for Porsche 997 Turbo:
19"x8.75, offset 50 (FI010); weight: 7.4 kg
19"x12, offset 50 (FI012); weight: 8.9 kg
The wheel is not for racing purposes but for road use. <---
We offer several options to individualise this wheel:
Three different finishes (I attached images of each finish):
- sport silver
- black / diamond cut
- ceramic polished
Possibility to drill the hub in a way the original Porsche logo can be used (instead of a BBS logo)
Additional rim protector to avoid scratches etc. if you hit the curb.
Due to the options for individualisation this wheel type is not available from stock but can be produced in a period of 4-6 weeks after receipt of the order.
The recommended retail price per wheel is
€ 1200,00 (silver finish)
€ 1250,00 (black / diamond cut finish)
€ 1400,00 (ceramic polished finish)
+ extras like special drilling and rim protector.

The fact that they don't think this wheel is good enough for racing would be a real turn off for me.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:51 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !

care to try to explain this?

Old 03-27-2010, 11:58 PM
SpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by eclou
care to try to explain this?
a friend of mine had a 2004 996 tt with set of BBS light weight .. i was personally with him in the car and it was literaly swirving on speeds above 280 Km .. when i asked why he said that the rims are light weight .. as far as my exprience with light weight rims.
No offence otherwise

Old 03-28-2010, 12:10 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
a friend of mine had a 2004 996 tt with set of BBS light weight .. i was personally with him in the car and it was literaly swirving on speeds above 280 Km .. when i asked why he said that the rims are light weight .. as far as my exprience with light weight rims.
No offence otherwise
This is what i heard from the guy with the Dymags, but i think it might be another reason.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:15 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ruf_turbo
The fact that they don't think this wheel is good enough for racing would be a real turn off for me.

That was the answer to my Question, Are they good enough for road use or just for the track? Having in mind the low quality of public roads compared to the tack.

And she answered that those wheels were made to be strong enough to be driven daily in public roads but still perform like a track wheel

Old 03-28-2010, 11:28 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
No offence otherwise
But this could be any number of factors in the suspension system though, no? It's difficult for me to understand why this could be so easily pinpointed to lightweight wheel, especially since there is no such association written in black and white. I've seen this issue, lightweight wheel and stability, mentioned before but I thought it was only because that company doesn't have light weight wheel!

Until some wheel company/expert is willing to write about this in black and white, in public, it just seems to be too anecdotal, too much "urban legend" to be believed.

As far as wheel, with the demise of Dymag, the BBS F1 is now the number one choice for Turbo wheel on the market IMO. Two things might hold this wheel back IMHO: the price has to be below 7k, and the styling (not for everyone).

BTW I think the BBS F1 styling looks odd to some (me included) because this is a mesh wheel, and mesh wheel could look a little funny when there are less than 6 or 7 forks. But wow, on all other aspects, weight, pedigree (BBS Motorsports, made in Germany), brand name, etc., this BBS F1 is hard to resist.

Last edited by cannga; 03-28-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:01 PM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset;"> Originally Posted by sparkhill
Here is what comes to mind (roughly in increasing weight but the last 4 are all about the same):
  • Dymag
  • HRE CF40/CF43
  • Champion MS61
  • Tech1
  • Champion Monoblocks
  • HRE Monoblocks
  • BBS F1
  • OZ Ultralegga HLT

Wheels can be light, strong, and affordable - pick two.

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
Thanks for the input Sparkhill, i think BBS FI comes second after the C/F wheels with little of difference

BBS FI specs:
<!-- google_ad_section_end --> <!-- / message --> <!-- sig --> __________________
+1 on that !!!

Old 03-28-2010, 05:12 PM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
if thats the BBS u guys are talkin about

count me in +1

Last edited by yalmutawa; 03-29-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:06 AM
Alex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond repute
2 most important things for me on the BBS F1's though would be:

1) Can you get them in exactly the same 19" dimensions as the OEM wheel?
2) Can they be fitted with TPMS?

These 2 were at the top of my list when I bought my P40's.

I think the styling is good though IMHO:

Old 03-29-2010, 03:13 AM

I don't think the won't be TPMS compatible

Old 03-29-2010, 03:14 AM
Alex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond repute
I wonder how the weight of these HRE's compare to the BBS?!

http://www.hrewheels.com/wheels/seri...=/CARBON/CF40/

For me though, these are THE best looking wheels on the planet. Not the lightest, but jaw dropping gorgeous...

(HRE P40 in black with brushed face)

Old 03-29-2010, 03:17 AM
BBS FI are lighter than the C/F HRE's

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which are the five lightest wheels for the 997 turbo?