997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

How to properly shift from first to second during WOT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 10:40 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by v10nut
I am very new to the Porsche driving experience so take my suggestion with a grain of salt. I was told by another porsche driver that you need to give a little throttle blip as you let the clutch out going from first to second. He recommends not entirely coming off the gas as you shift. I have tried it and it gets rid of any turbo lag and the shift is much smoother. I am used to driving Vipers and this seems like a great way to ruin a clutch. He says its fine. What do the rest of you think? Is he as nuts as he sounds?
^That.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:24 AM
sbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond repute
I am also coming from Viper with no hydraulic assist and I think I prefer the heavy feel vs. light.

The shifter itself feels just fine. I just can't seem to properly modulate the cluth for smooth shifting. Again, it's propbably purely operator error as opposed to mechanical issue...

Old 04-02-2010, 07:53 AM
NYNick is infamous around these parts
Having driven manual transmissions my entire life, and coming off a 2007 C4S, after a 2003 C4, and also owning a 65 Pontiac GTO, I was downright embarrassed taking my fellow 1996 Turbo owner out for a spin in my 2009TT the first day I got it. Bucking like a bronco, almost stalling, over revving...yikes, what's going on?
It's just a process of getting used to it. Completely different from all of the above, as is every clutch in e very car. Give it time.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:30 AM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
A lot of valid points here. We sell quite a few GT2 conversions here and I'd have to say that 90% of our customers are happy with it. The other 10% feel that the pedal effort is way to hard for daily driving. Personally, I would trade the ambiguous, sloppy factory set up for the much harder, much more communicative GT2 set up any day if I were not driving the car in stop and go traffic on a daily basis. If the car is a daily driver and rush hour traffic is something that you will have to contend with I would advise against it. If the vehicle is more of a weekend warrior than a daily commuter then it's the GT2 conversion all the way, for me at least.

F: 480.317.9901
E: info@evoms.com
Home of the Worlds Fastest 997TT Porsche(s)
997TT Standing Mile = 234.6 MPH
997TT Standing 1/2 Mile = 217.09 MPH
Fastest 1/4 Mile = 9.29 @ 172.7 MPH
60-130 MPH Time = 3.28 Seconds
Old 04-02-2010, 10:35 AM
MorePSiTehBett4 is just really niceMorePSiTehBett4 is just really niceMorePSiTehBett4 is just really niceMorePSiTehBett4 is just really nice
try using a more of a gradual 1 to 2, vs 1, 2 aka it's an H patter, go to the middle(netrual) and then into second in one gradual motion where you are counting 1 to 2 when doing it.

Sounds like you are letting out the clutch too fast and the engagement point is very small for this 997t.

Can't we tell him how to loosen his clutch line?

Old 04-02-2010, 11:13 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sbkim
I am also coming from Viper with no hydraulic assist and I think I prefer the heavy feel vs. light.

The shifter itself feels just fine. I just can't seem to properly modulate the cluth for smooth shifting. Again, it's propbably purely operator error as opposed to mechanical issue...
Not operator error. The engagement sucks, pure and simple.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:12 PM
sbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you so much for your input. I am happy to hear that I am not alone

Took the car in for some minor service and Porsche tech confirmed that turbo clutch blows relative to GT2/3 and even to non-turbo 997??

Old 04-02-2010, 09:29 PM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
no bro u're not alone

Old 04-02-2010, 10:02 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
I Was a little shocked when I drove the 997tt vs my Gt3.. I thought how the hell is the clutch this heavy to hold 400hp all motor and the TT with all the HP/Tq has a feel like a civic.. I prefer the GT2 feel as well.. Something you can get more feedback from regardless of how heavy it is..

Mike

Old 04-02-2010, 10:50 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
I Was a little shocked when I drove the 997tt vs my Gt3.. I thought how the hell is the clutch this heavy to hold 400hp all motor and the TT with all the HP/Tq has a feel like a civic.. I prefer the GT2 feel as well.. Something you can get more feedback from regardless of how heavy it is..

Mike
Maybe you'll let me try your GT3 clutch when I come over there.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:01 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ruf_turbo
Maybe you'll let me try your GT3 clutch when I come over there.
Would let you if i hadnt just traded the Gt3 for the 997tt..

Mike

Old 04-02-2010, 11:06 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
Would let you if i hadnt just traded the Gt3 for the 997tt..

Mike
It was worth a try.