997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Recommendations for 997TT headers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 05:30 PM
NWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond repute
Recommendations for 997TT headers?

Trying to decide on some aftermarket headers?

Any advice.

Wanting to go with either AWE-tuning or FVD.

More economical would be Agency Power...

Any experience with any of the above?

Thanks in advance. BTW, my mods are: FVD stage 1 ECU, AP divertor valves, BMC filter, IPD plenum and a modified "catless" OEM exhaust

Last edited by NWturbo; 04-06-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:32 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Stock. I don't think there is much to be gained with headers.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:49 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Gasman
Stock. I don't think there is much to be gained with headers.
I agree... Pick a tuner and go with his plan. You dont want to randomly hang parts on these cars. It costs mega $ and many times gets you nothing or even slower.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:46 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Hi NWturbo,

You might want to read this very good thread first: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...e-headers.html

Pardon me if the following info is old news to you -- just trying to help here: The header should not be the first component in your power upgrade. The most typically recommended path is exhaust, then ECU, then intercooler, and maybe header later on down the upgrade path.
Header is a complex component and requires matching with the rest of your setup, including your ECU tune. Some argue a re-tune of the ECU after adding header. So to decide which header, you almost have to decide which tuner you are going to use for the ECU mod, then follows the recommendation of that tuner regarding header. In other words, if you are going to use GIAC, then yes AWE is the tuner you would talk to as the AWE header is developed as a package with the GIAC ECU tune. Most definitely do not pick based on look, or sound, or cost.

A header shifts the power band (see below) and may not always be beneficial. From the boldfaced sentence below, one could almost argue the choice depends on your driving style!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manifold_(automotive_engineering)
Great care must be used when selecting the length and diameter of the primary tubes. Tubes that are too large will cause the exhaust gas to expand and slow down, decreasing the scavenging effect. Tubes that are too small will create backpressure against which the engine must work to expel the exhaust gas from the chamber, reducing power and leaving exhaust in the chamber to dilute the incoming intake charge. Since engines produce more exhaust gas at higher speeds, the header(s) are tuned to a particular engine speed range according to the intended application. Typically, wide primary tubes offer the best gains in power and torque at higher engine speeds, while narrow tubes offer the best gains at lower speeds.<!-- google_ad_section_end --> <!-- / message --> <!-- sig -->

Last edited by cannga; 04-06-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:51 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Stay away from the cheap stuff, ask NeilM why.
I use fvd bc it was part of their total package, having said that, there is probably zero gain in a street car with under 600hp. Stock is just fine.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:01 PM
NWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks everyone!!

OK....very very informative and excellent advice. Thank you.

I do have an FVD stage 1 ECU, divertor valves, BMC filter, IPD plenum and a modified "catless" OEM exhaust. Car drives great right now. The wrong headers could ruin it eh?

You guys saved me some money.

Cheers

Last edited by NWturbo; 04-06-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:03 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NWturbo
OK....very very informative and excellent advice. Thank you.

I do have an FVD stage 1 ECU, divertor valves, BMC filter and IPD plenum. Car drives great right now.

You guys saved me some money.

Cheers
Exhaust...exhaust...exhaust. If you are looking for more power...if you are looking for a better sound...think exhaust. Lower exhaust gas temperatures, lower intake air temperatures (slightly), significantly lower backpressure.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:47 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
I think you have maximized investment $$ for power. Better off saving for IC's and turbo uprade + headers. Headers alone will net near zero.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:48 PM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
I can say I absolutely noticed a positive change with my headers

turbo spool became louder, exhaust sound deeper and angrier and an improved seat of the pants feel

expensive bit worth it to me

Old 04-06-2010, 08:53 PM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
forget about the headers for now u'll get zero gain ... go for exhaust and ECU ...

Old 04-06-2010, 09:05 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Not much to be gained with headers if not pushing at least in the mid to high 600hp range. I think the exhaust should be more of a priority for you.

Having said that, AWE, EVOMS, and FVD all make quality products. You can't go wrong with any of them. Stay away from cheap priced bargains when modding your tt. You get what you pay for. Make sure your ECU program is setup for the mods for your car. You might need a reflash with added mods.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:37 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Here is what we achieved by adding the Agency Power headers. An ECU Flash will have no affect on headers at all. Its a good mod to do once you have done the other basics...

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/a...6-p-46159.html

Old 04-06-2010, 10:55 PM
Former Vendor
Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !
You will not see the gains you think you may with better headers, mainly because "better" when compared to stock is a hard thing to accomplish. A couple of the benefits is improved spool/throttle response, top end power, and usually only noticeable when you get over 650hp.

Shoot me an e-mail with your goals for your car, like said above, we have a "plan" for all of your plans/goals.

Been there, done that, get the best value for your money and in the end your driving experience is second to none...

Old 04-07-2010, 01:21 PM
Former Vendor
Louis@Champion has much to be proud ofLouis@Champion has much to be proud ofLouis@Champion has much to be proud ofLouis@Champion has much to be proud ofLouis@Champion has much to be proud ofLouis@Champion has much to be proud ofLouis@Champion has much to be proud ofLouis@Champion has much to be proud of
Champion Motorsport offers the Tubi Style 997.1 Twin Turbo headers. Like most of the Porsche-Tubi Style product line, CMS had influence on the design.

Features: 1.5" primary tubes, twin layer flanges, Hand formed fully welded merge collectors with full internal cone, near equal length tubes, full stainless steel construction, and hand polished.

We find that the smaller primary tubes do bring in the torque quicker. I however do agree that it is pretty important to stick with a package developed by a reputable tuner. Random components without a proper tune can produce disappointing results, we have seen it time and time again..

Some photos..

Attached Images