997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Wheel Offset Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 06:43 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Wheel Offset Question

Can someone confirm the offset for stock wheels is 56 mm front, 51 mm rear? What's the consequence of having a front wheel offset at 37 mm and 51 mm rear (same rim size)? I know it will move the wheels out more for a more aggressive look but what will the effects be to the suspension, alignment, more strain, less strain, no change, etc..? I'm thinking about getting some new wheels so I'm starting to look into things. Also, does anyone know the offsets for P40s (19 in). TIA

Old 04-08-2010, 07:20 PM
NWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond repute
ET37 is too much

Yes, stock offsets are 19x8.5 et56, AND 19X11 et 51.

If you go ET37 in the front, your tires/wheels will stick beyong the front fenders - I don't think this will look good and it will affect your steering. Your fronts will extend 19mm out - this is too much.

Ideally, consider going no more than 5-10mm outwards for the front IMO.

Spacers 7mm front and 15mm rear brings the wheels flush with the fenders.

Originally Posted by TTdude
Can someone confirm the offset for stock wheels is 56 mm front, 51 mm rear? What's the consequence of having a front wheel offset at 37 mm and 51 mm rear (same rim size)? I know it will move the wheels out more for a more aggressive look but what will the effects be to the suspension, alignment, more strain, less strain, no change, etc..? I'm thinking about getting some new wheels so I'm starting to look into things. Also, does anyone know the offsets for P40s (19 in). TIA

Old 04-08-2010, 11:04 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NWturbo
Yes, stock offsets are 19x8.5 et56, AND 19X11 et 51.

If you go ET37 in the front, your tires/wheels will stick beyong the front fenders - I don't think this will look good and it will affect your steering. Your fronts will extend 19mm out - this is too much.

Ideally, consider going no more than 5-10mm outwards for the front IMO.

Spacers 7mm front and 15mm rear brings the wheels flush with the fenders.
Thanks for the info! I actually got it backwards, it's ET51 front and ET37 rear. It's the Tech1-109 series that I'm interested in. Seems like a good price and quality for the group buy. So does a 6 mm front and 14 mm rear outward move affect anything mechanical or is it just cosmetics?

Old 04-08-2010, 11:33 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Thanks for the info! I actually got it backwards, it's ET51 front and ET37 rear. It's the Tech1-109 series that I'm interested in. Seems like a good price and quality for the group buy. So does a 6 mm front and 14 mm rear outward move affect anything mechanical or is it just cosmetics?
That would effectively give you same as using 7 & 15 m/m spacers front and rear on stock rims. That should work fine and it doesn't effect anything mechanical.

Be careful on 'deep dish' wheels that the wheel 'spokes' clear your disc calipers. I'm not familiar with the Tech1-109 wheel so just saying...

Old 04-08-2010, 11:44 PM
Originally Posted by ruf_turbo
That would effectively give you same as using 7 & 15 m/m spacers front and rear on stock rims. That should work fine and it doesn't effect anything mechanical.

Be careful on 'deep dish' wheels that the wheel 'spokes' clear your disc calipers. I'm not familiar with the Tech1-109 wheel so just saying...
Thanks.

I never participated in a group buy. Is it common for a vendor to ask for full payment up front, cash only?

Old 04-08-2010, 11:52 PM
NWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond repute
That's a perfectly fine offset. It's like adding a 7mm/15mm spacers.

Nice flush look. Go for it.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:54 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
I never participated in a group buy. Is it common for a vendor to ask for full payment up front, cash only?
It's not uncommon but you have to know and trust the vendor. In many cases the vendor has to order the goods based on subscription so payment (at least 50%) has to be advanced to firm the buyers commitment. In other words if you change your mind the vendor won't be eating the whole outlay.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by ruf_turbo
It's not uncommon but you have to know and trust the vendor. In many cases the vendor has to order the goods based on subscription so payment (at least 50%) has to be advanced to firm the buyers commitment. In other words if you change your mind the vendor won't be eating the whole outlay.
I can appreciate that but in this case it's full payment ($4K) while waiting 4-5 weeks for delivery. No credit cards. Not sure I want the wheels that badly. Even the most respected vendors can go south, especially in these tight ecomomic times. It's happened already on here.