997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Softronic Software Criticism

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2010 | 12:21 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
BBYWU - Exactly...

Lardog - thank you!

Old 04-29-2010 | 03:59 PM
FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !
Wow, just read this and a couple other threads, lots of drama.

Old 04-30-2010 | 06:53 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Softronic
I think this is not all correct nor true as we have spoken and Porsche tuning required more than just tuning an ME7 before. Your dates are also not correct On Softronic nor my development and use before hand. I have been doing conversion files back to 1997 since the intro of OBD flashing.

Now as far as other posts by other users adding companies to the list I did not find them all in this thread and do not have the time to check yet yes Softronic does do tuning for many of them so the flashes would be the same unless specific changes had been made for that vendor.
Best Regards,
Scott Slauson
Hello Scott,

Thanks for taking the time to answer. Your expertise is obvious and to me the bottom line is this: you have many many happy customers. Congrats.
I did learn something from this thread: didn't realize there is so much sharing behind the scene. Don't think there is anything wrong with this either: the sharing companies all have good reputation and happy customers.

Safe to say, from the "Softronic" mother arise the triplets Swizer, Protomotive, FVD? :-)

Does the differentiation from the "mother" increase as power level goes up, for example, with added intercooler, larger throttle body, etc.? FVD *seems* to be a business office only in the US, does that imply the FVD file is the same as Softronic?

Old 04-30-2010 | 07:30 AM
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Hello,

The FVD files are different and done out of Germany. The interface is the same as with Proto and Switzer in the US though.

The point I was trying to make and yet we have gone offtrack is that while some say that Softronic adjust the files incorrectly it is done the same in the other tunes as well yet they are not questioned. Basically you could have the same file as an example from Vivid, Softronic and lets say Switzer yet they are not judged the same. Now there may be differences for all 3 as set by the vendor yet the tuning technique is the same in all of them.

Best,
Scott

Old 04-30-2010 | 08:25 AM
Tiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to behold
I think that is a pretty old news that the tunning for a basic flash these days is pretty much the same from all companies. Info and files are shared between engenieers because while one can be a expert in Porsche, others will be in Audi, BMW, Mercedes... Now some have more agressive maps than others just because some are pushing more to the edge the safety levels.

Old 04-30-2010 | 08:55 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Hello,

The FVD files are different and done out of Germany. The interface is the same as with Proto and Switzer in the US though.

The point I was trying to make and yet we have gone offtrack is that while some say that Softronic adjust the files incorrectly it is done the same in the other tunes as well yet they are not questioned. Basically you could have the same file as an example from Vivid, Softronic and lets say Switzer yet they are not judged the same. Now there may be differences for all 3 as set by the vendor yet the tuning technique is the same in all of them.

Best,
Scott
I understand. I have a question to ask though (no axe to grind -- I think all tunes have pluses and minuses, but all have more or less very happy customers saved for the occasional sour grapes LOL, just curious to learn here). Please try to explain in terms most of us amateurs, like me, could understand. (Hopefully it's also your chance to shine and defend yourself!)

The way I understand this, as explained by my tuner (I'm merely repeating here), is the Turbo uses knock sensor to determine fuel quality. Once fuel quality is determined, the DME then chooses among four ignition maps. In a stock car, these 4 maps are closely grouped close together and covered a small range of octane. In a tuned car, the 4 maps are spread further apart, more appropriate for say, 100, 95, 93, 91 octane.

I thought this method was the same for all tunes, and the only difference being the different levels of aggressiveness, such as boost/AFR/timing. Am I wrong? Is the way you do it different from above?

Thanks in advance, Scott.

Last edited by cannga; 04-30-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-30-2010 | 10:35 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Hello,

Best,
Scott
That's an interesting statement which I would agree with--same file from Vivid/Softronic, Proto, Switzer, etc.. and it would be judge differently. Human nature at work. But is that really the point? That these files ARE indeed different and custom modified by the tuner produces different results. Look at APR and the 6.4 60-130 recently posted for just a "Stage 2" upgrade. Also, Vivid's datalog time for 60-130 is 6.02, whereas Switzer and Proto posted 4.25 & 4.52, respectively.

Old 04-30-2010 | 11:24 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Hey guys I did just want to re-hash this thread where the same stuff came up before:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-hesitant.html

In fact one of the Admins of the board said it best in this post:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post2187074

Let me quote it again:
Originally Posted by IB Tim
The interesting part of this discussion on 6sp (anywhere) is the difference between stupid and ignorant…..stupid you cannot fix …ignorant is only temporary…..and many many members here are presently ignorant…only a few...

Anyone who believes any group of individuals that start/own/have a programming company that builds equipment to re-flash (ANY vehicle) for more power...that DOES NOT LEAVE A Foot print is extremely ignorant.

Now did I type...they will know if you have xx HP or if you changed the boost by XX no I did not, but to think that these companies have the resources to overcome the depth of knowledge/resources/intelligence ....of the entire _______ (add any manufacture name here) RD/warranty protection group ....coupled with the ability to know their components/units is just ….well in my own words STUPID…..ALL companies that build vehicles KNOW if you have screwed with the ECU or any part of engine management….GET REAL folks you cannot hide it….

NOW if each company you go to tells you …your are at risk with possible warranty issues …GREAT you decide and make your own choice but if one says …. ........... ............ ...................
Don’t shoot the messenger guys but as we tell everyone that calls in asking about software (whether it’s what we sell or what someone else sells) you need to be honest/up front and realize the potential risk. The rewards with software on the 997TT are obvious but if you think that Porsche cannot tell whether your ECU has ever had software on it you’ve been sadly misinformed. That situation is only getting worse for example with the new Panamera just ID’ing the ECU itself causes the car to go into a “lock-down” mode (ask me how I know lol!). If we loose sales because of just being upfront then so be it but honesty is always the best policy we feel. Furthermore if you have a good relationship with your service advisor it’s best to be upfront and honest in that regard too. Quite often they will more likely help you wade through the whole warranty scene. Yes there are issues that crop up on these cars and the good service advisors and tech will be able to detect whether the modified software has had anything to do with the resulting fault on the car. This is how we’ve been able to build up a good rapport with local (in particular) and other Porsche dealerships over the years and there’s always give and take. I guess being honest is key and you do need to be prepared to pay to play. You folks have been so good and supportive of us over the years (in fact since day 1 of this forum) and it’s only fair that you guys at least know where you stand without the smoke screens etc…

Old 04-30-2010 | 11:37 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sharkster
Hey guys I did just want to re-hash this thread where the same stuff came up before:

Let me quote it again:

Don’t shoot the messenger guys but as we tell everyone that calls in asking about software (whether it’s what we sell or what someone else sells) you need to be honest/up front and realize the potential risk. The rewards with software on the 997TT are obvious but if you think that Porsche cannot tell whether your ECU has ever had software on it you’ve been sadly misinformed. That situation is only getting worse for example with the new Panamera just ID’ing the ECU itself causes the car to go into a “lock-down” mode (ask me how I know lol!). If we loose sales because of just being upfront then so be it but honesty is always the best policy we feel. Furthermore if you have a good relationship with your service advisor it’s best to be upfront and honest in that regard too. Quite often they will more likely help you wade through the whole warranty scene. Yes there are issues that crop up on these cars and the good service advisors and tech will be able to detect whether the modified software has had anything to do with the resulting fault on the car. This is how we’ve been able to build up a good rapport with local (in particular) and other Porsche dealerships over the years and there’s always give and take. I guess being honest is key and you do need to be prepared to pay to play. You folks have been so good and supportive of us over the years (in fact since day 1 of this forum) and it’s only fair that you guys at least know where you stand without the smoke screens etc…
Alex,

I agree with the above. Now, I do have a question that I do not know the answer to. What if you buy a second ECU. That is what I did. Yes, I know they will know it is a different ECU, but I believe that is all they really can prove by the ECU alone. I know I believe the other one just broke and I replaced it.

Last edited by cjv; 04-30-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-30-2010 | 12:06 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !

Bravo!

Originally Posted by cjv
Alex,

I agree with the above. Now, I do have a question that I do not know the answer to. What if you buy a second ECU. That is what I did. Yes, I know they will know it is a different ECU, but I believe that is all they really can prove by the ECU alone. I know I believe the other one just broke and I replaced it.
So the original one "broke" but you didn't replace it under warranty? Sounds too suspicious and likely to have problems with any major warranty repair.

Old 04-30-2010 | 12:15 PM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTdude
That's an interesting statement which I would agree with--same file from Vivid/Softronic, Proto, Switzer, etc.. and it would be judge differently. Human nature at work. But is that really the point? That these files ARE indeed different and custom modified by the tuner produces different results. Look at APR and the 6.4 60-130 recently posted for just a "Stage 2" upgrade. Also, Vivid's datalog time for 60-130 is 6.02, whereas Switzer and Proto posted 4.25 & 4.52, respectively.
i think we should compare apples to apples here...there is no comparison between a reflash and a n exhaust Vs VR 825hp kit that incorporates turbos,intercoolers and much more stuff and of course Vs SPI sledgehammer...A true comparison is for same stage tuning...

Old 04-30-2010 | 12:27 PM
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !

Let me quote it again:

Great answer and truthful on your product and others, however I didn't want the readers to think it applies to Softronic.

I have made many posts on the subject in this and other forums including the PCA etc. A second DME is as bad as removing a DFI unit to flash and disassemble.....

Best Regards,
Scott Slauson

Old 04-30-2010 | 12:34 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
Alex,

Hey CJV... well remember that there's a 1K x 1K chip/file that stores a bunch of things such as operating hours etc.... so that's not really going to work either. So you could replace the ECU theoretically but some of the counters won't match which is fine if it's replaced/registered under warranty.

Old 04-30-2010 | 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by skandalis447
i think we should compare apples to apples here...there is no comparison between a reflash and an exhaust Vs VR 825hp kit that incorporates turbos, intercoolers and much more stuff and of course Vs SPI sledgehammer...A true comparison is for same stage tuning...
It's nearly impossible to compare "apples to apples". That said, my post was not meant to do otherwise. I think you missed my comment about "just a stage 2". You have the fastest recorded time (by far) for just a stage 2 flash. You also have CF wheels that probably shaves 50+ lbs of unsprung weight off your car. The others as you pointed out are high power builds with stock internals so I lumped those together for comparison. Now, how do you like those apples?

Old 04-30-2010 | 01:52 PM
Great answer and truthful on your product and others, however I didn't want the readers to think it applies to Softronic.

Best Regards,
Scott Slauson
It always seems to circle back to Mike's $60K question:

<TABLE id=post2821368 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center itxtvisited="1"><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px" class=alt2 itxtvisited="1"><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=6 cellPadding=0 width="100%" itxtvisited="1"><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD class=alt2 itxtvisited="1"></TD><TD noWrap itxtvisited="1"><!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) -->GotBoost?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

</TD><TD width="100%" itxtvisited="1"></TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap itxtvisited="1">Join Date: Dec 2007

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- / user info --></TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD id=td_post_2821368 class=alt1 itxtvisited="1"><!-- message, attachments, sig --><!-- message --><!-- google_ad_section_start -->All I can say is WOW!!!!

Who to believe?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Softronic Software Criticism