997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Softronic Software Criticism

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2010 | 05:28 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Softronic
Yes very good point for those companies that cant flash it back to original. Then again I feel sorry for the DFI customers that also have to remove their DME and have it taken apart to flash, that is very evident regardless.

I think it does all goes back to the one post that you highlighted and the word was "Ignorant".

Softronic was the first to OBD flash the DFI and also the 2010 Turbo so no removal is required. While we could have taken them out and done so it was in the customers best interest not to. I wouldn't want to sell a product early just for sales knowing it was an issue. We can also alter anything in either set of chips remotely without a customer having to send a DME in or re visit a Dealer etc. We have many first and make things that other tuners simply cant. I guess if they could then they would all be flashing via the port and doing what we can..

Perhaps some of the other experts could post at what points they are detectable since they know? What screen or section on the PIWIS shows this or how it is shown? This is what the Dealer would be using unless a Pano or 997 DFI Turbo. We all know a tuned file is period. I should know since I'm the guy checking them.
To be correct it could be a DME that had a tune and it was then re written with a PIWIS. Now lets take out the given 1 write index and the fact that the binary has written the extra string in the 29F800 or processor. The PIWIS would not show the strings anyways.

So now at what point is the new PIWIS original write going to show the old Tuned file that was in it? Granted the PIWIS does not write the original Porsche one it came with yet it is an original. Since I cant show people what would not exist perhaps they can show what they are saying does?

Best ,
Scott
You feel sorry??

I feel sorry for the people that get a SHELF tune that doesn't work as intended and must be corrected with custom mapping.. I feel sorry for the people that will end up at the dealer with voided warranty because they were misled.. Thats who i feel sorry for.. Not the guy or shop who spent 10 minutes removing their Ecu to insure the flash is done properly, voltage doesn't drop during the reflash, doesn't brick the ecu etc..

Mike

Old 04-30-2010 | 05:32 PM
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTdude
Where does Softronic do all the tuning, the tools, car, location, dyno, etc..? Or do they share those maps/tune files from Proto and others?

Well like most tuners at a shop and since we can remote data log and flash any dyno can be used yet I generally use a Superflow. The info uploads to our main server. In this day and age most custom tunes or tunes are spot on the first time and may require a rev, after all everything is in the data.

Best,
Scott

Old 04-30-2010 | 05:34 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Yes very good point for those companies that cant flash it back to original. Then again I feel sorry for the DFI customers that also have to remove their DME and have it taken apart to flash, that is very evident regardless.

I think it does all goes back to the one post that you highlighted and the word was "Ignorant".

Softronic was the first to OBD flash the DFI and also the 2010 Turbo so no removal is required. While we could have taken them out and done so it was in the customers best interest not to. I wouldn't want to sell a product early just for sales knowing it was an issue. We can also alter anything in either set of chips remotely without a customer having to send a DME in or re visit a Dealer etc. We have many first and make things that other tuners simply cant. I guess if they could then they would all be flashing via the port and doing what we can..

Perhaps some of the other experts could post at what points they are detectable since they know? What screen or section on the PIWIS shows this or how it is shown? This is what the Dealer would be using unless a Pano or 997 DFI Turbo. We all know a tuned file is period. I should know since I'm the guy checking them. To be correct it could be a DME that had a tune and it was then re written with a PIWIS. Now lets take out the given 1 write index and the fact that the binary has written the extra string in the 29F800 or processor. The PIWIS would not show the strings anyways.

So now at what point is the new PIWIS original write going to show the old Tuned file that was in it? Granted the PIWIS does not write the original Porsche one it came with yet it is an original. Since I cant show people what would not exist perhaps they can show what they are saying does?

Best ,
Scott
The EVOMSit reads out the stock file. That is then stored/backed up and it can be flashed completely back to the _stock_ file that was read out from said ECU. We can do that all day long and do it all the time when people sell their cars or want to put them back to stock. That does not mean that the ECU hasn't been modified. Again, reads, writes etc... all leave traces. I don't know what "generic" stock type of file system you are referring to.

Plain and simple, if you have/own a PIWIS and/or go to a dealership I recommend that you take a customer's 997TT (or whatever you use for R&D?) with a CEL of some sort and see what happens. Try being the end user and see it from their perspective (not to mention the service writer). Even after it's been flashed back with the stock file. I don't make the rules of the game Scott, PCNA does over here. Your warranty language is very cryptic on your web site I might add which is probably why there is all of this confusion. What happens when clients go in for service with thousands of ignition range 4, 5 and 6? PCNA will dig into the ECU right away. Those ranges are also stored whether or not a car has been flashed back to stock (along with the trace of it doing so) especially due to parameters being changed (then let's not get into it with raised rev limiters etc…)

I understand your partnership with Durametric has enabled the ease of upload/download and with Todd@Protomotive (who is obviously very talented etc..) doing files it certainly makes it easier for the end-user to do through the OBDII port but I'm afraid folks with _any_ software are still going to need to know up front that their warranty is indeed voided. I don't write software and have nothing to hide here and am merely letting people know how we as a company choose to deal with the whole software side of things as far as customers go. I agree you have to pay to play but I just don't think encouraging lying to the service adviser about being "stock" is the way to deal with a problem. Honesty seems to work best.

Either way, there are rules on this forum (about vendors vs vendors) which I also do not want to break and so I wish you luck and I’m stepping out with this as my final words… There were questions about Softronic and what software is/isn't detectable and all I want to do is let folks on the forum (many of whom are my friends and/or clients- past, present and/or future) know that no matter what software we sell that we will always be upfront about it being detectable and also about read/writes all leaving traces. It doesn't matter if you're upgrading the BIOS on your $150 motherboard or your $1200 Bosch/Seimens ECU tampering leaves traces.

Last edited by sharkster; 04-30-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-30-2010 | 05:40 PM
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
You feel sorry??

I feel sorry for the people that get a SHELF tune that doesn't work as intended and must be corrected with custom mapping.. I feel sorry for the people that will end up at the dealer with voided warranty because they were misled.. Thats who i feel sorry for.. Not the guy or shop who spent 10 minutes removing their Ecu to insure the flash is done properly, voltage doesn't drop during the reflash, doesn't brick the ecu etc..

Mike
Yes I agree with those shelf tunes as they are generic, unfortunately I do not know of any. Perhaps you may?

Porsche used to remove the DME's as a bit of info back in the pre Boxster 1997 era. The 993 in 1997 did have a CC460 chip yet the architecture was not there to port flash yet and required its removal.

Best,
Scott

Old 04-30-2010 | 05:47 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Yes I agree with those shelf tunes as they are generic, unfortunately I do not know of any. Perhaps you may?

Porsche used to remove the DME's as a bit of info back in the pre Boxster 1997 era. The 993 in 1997 did have a CC460 chip yet the architecture was not there to port flash yet and required its removal.

Best,
Scott
So every car that has softronic where they a receive cable and flash the car in their garage gets a mobile dyno sent along with it??

I wasnt aware you had every single possible combination of parts in your database.. Just because AFR or Timing appears in check doesnt mean that the car doesnt like LESS or MORE timing, or Rich or Leaner AFR to make Power..

The Possible issues i stated when Obd2 flashing the car i guess you are going to dodge..

Mike

Old 04-30-2010 | 05:49 PM
Former Vendor
Where does Softronic do all the tuning, the tools, car, location, dyno, etc..? Or do they share those maps/tune files from Proto and others?
Good question.. Curious to know as well Softronic themselves does all this R&D??

MIke

Old 04-30-2010 | 05:49 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sharkster
EVOMS has their own front end and hardware that they developed that's correct
Who developed EVOMS software? Todd Z or another person?
Robert

Old 04-30-2010 | 05:51 PM
Former Vendor
The EVOMSit reads out the stock file. That is then stored/backed up and it can be flashed completely back to the _stock_ file that was read out from said ECU. We can do that all day long and do it all the time when people sell their cars or want to put them back to stock. That does not mean that the ECU hasn't been modified. Again, reads, writes etc... all leave traces. I don't know what "generic" stock type of file system you are referring to.

Plain and simple, if you have/own a PIWIS and/or go to a dealership I recommend that you take a customer's 997TT (or whatever you use for R&D?) with a CEL of some sort and see what happens. Try being the end user and see it from their perspective (not to mention the service writer). Even after it's been flashed back with the stock file. I don't make the rules of the game Scott, PCNA does over here. Your warranty language is very cryptic on your web site I might add which is probably why there is all of this confusion. What happens when clients go in for service with thousands of ignition range 4, 5 and 6? PCNA will dig into the ECU right away. Those ranges are also stored whether or not a car has been flashed back to stock (along with the trace of it doing so) especially due to parameters being changed with raised rev limiters etc…

I understand your partnership with Durametric has enabled the ease of upload/download and with Todd@Protomotive (who is obviously very talented etc..) doing files it certainly makes it easier for the end-user to do through the OBDII port but I'm afraid folks with _any_ software are still going to need to know up front that their warranty is indeed voided. I don't write software and have nothing to hide here and am merely letting people know how we as a company choose to deal with the whole software side of things as far as customers go. I agree you have to pay to play but I just don't think encouraging lying to the service adviser about being "stock" is the way to deal with a problem. Honesty seems to work best.

Either way, there are rules on this forum (about vendors vs vendors) which I also do not want to break and so I wish you luck and I’m stepping out with this as my final words… There were questions about Softronic and what software is/isn't detectable and all I want to do is let folks on the forum (many of whom are my friends and/or clients- past, present and/or future) know that no matter what software we sell that we will always be upfront about it being detectable and also about read/writes all leaving traces. It doesn't matter if you're upgrading the BIOS on your $150 motherboard or your $1200 Bosch/Seimens ECU tampering leaves traces.
Yes I was thinking that as well.. With ignition ranges 4,5,6 from increased rev limiter its going to be in some of those ranges all the time.. How can that be explained while not having a tune supposedly??

Mike

Old 04-30-2010 | 06:00 PM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
All I can say (as a consumer) I re flashed (Softronic flash) back to stock. went back to the dealer for the 997c2 fan recall (in 2008). They re flashed the ECU with the fan update. I re sent the stock file back to Softronic. got the new file back. The dealer did not see the flash. THE END!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-30-2010 | 06:01 PM
Basic Sponsor

Plain and simple, if you have/own a PIWIS and/or go to a dealership I recommend that you take a customer's 997TT (or whatever you use for R&D?) with a CEL of some sort and see what happens. Try being the end user and see it from their perspective (not to mention the service writer). Even after it's been flashed back with the stock file. I don't make the rules of the game Scott, PCNA does over here. Your warranty language is very cryptic on your web site I might add which is probably why there is all of this confusion. What happens when clients go in for service with thousands of ignition range 4, 5 and 6? PCNA will dig into the ECU right away. Those ranges are also stored whether or not a car has been flashed back to stock (along with the trace of it doing so) especially due to parameters being changed with raised rev limiters etc…

Thanks for the info and just so you know I have a couple PIWIS testers and visit the Dealers often and check flashed and re-flashed cars, well have been for years now. The over revs etc are not written in stone as with anything is programmable.

You are correct that I work with Duram as I have for years in the development of the system. Durametric is separate from the flashing yet some customers like to get the cable for erasing and checking faults or just to check the over revs etc.
Todd is another as Markski's car was a success along with many other cars, don't you think?. I also work with about 60 other tuners people etc. Basically talented people often work together for a better product or info that helps them all.

I was also just trying to be honest and address points that had been made.

Thanks Again,
Scott

Old 04-30-2010 | 06:06 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by lardog
All I can say (as a consumer) I re flashed (Softronic flash) back to stock. went back to the dealer for the 997c2 fan recall (in 2008). They re flashed the ECU with the fan update. I re sent the stock file back to Softronic. got the new file back. The dealer did not see the flash. THE END!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The thing you must consider is that on a fan recall they dont necessarily look into the Ecu as far as a reason to void the warranty.. On a motor failure i wouldn't be so sure it would be THE END..

Actually rings a bell now that I had a customer who I flashed with EVOMSit that had to bring their car in for warranty.. We had never discussed bringing his car in for service and that i would swap the stock tune back in for free.. I dont recall if it didnt cross his mind or what but he had to have the car reflashed to set back something with the ABS he had an issue with.. He came back in and I reflashed it for him but the dealer never said a thing about the tune i put in his car.. Does it mean it wasnt seen?? or was it not looked for?? You tell me..

Mike

Old 04-30-2010 | 06:08 PM
Basic Sponsor
Good question.. Curious to know as well Softronic themselves does all this R&D??

MIke

Hey relax take a deep breath and look at post 167.

I have to go now so in...... now out.........

Best,
Scott

Old 04-30-2010 | 06:18 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Softronic claims that the overrevs will be wiped clean once you re-install the original stock file.

So, if I understand this right, if you buy a Softronic tune, you get some version of a Proto tune at lower cost which you can load using Softronic's flash client software using a Durametric cable/interface. That's a mouthful. When I was in the process of selecting a tuner, I was told by Vivid/Softronic that they would not provide custom tweaking of their tunes which is why I went with Proto who obviously does. Now I understand why.

Old 04-30-2010 | 06:20 PM
Former Vendor
Softronic claims that the overrevs will be wiped clean once you re-install the original stock file.

So, if I understand this right, if you buy a Softronic tune, you get some version of a Proto tune at lower cost which you can load using Softronic's flash client software using a Durametric cable/interface. That's a mouthful. When I was in the process of selecting a tuner, I was told by Vivid/Softronic that they would not provide custom tweaking of their tunes which is why I went with Proto who obviously does. Now I understand why.
So who that has the Softronic setup is going to do a before and after and Screen shot the Ignition Ranges to see if its wiped CLEAN?? any volunteers??

Mike

Old 04-30-2010 | 06:30 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
So who that has the Softronic setup is going to do a before and after and Screen shot the Ignition Ranges to see if its wiped CLEAN?? any volunteers??

Mike
++1. This would be very interesting to see as well as the overrev counter actually being disabled (which it should be) but how sure are you that it is? I suspect it isn't. You guys should really test your system.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Softronic Software Criticism