997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Softronic Software Criticism

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2010 | 07:00 PM
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTdude
Softronic claims that the over-revs will be wiped clean once you re-install the original stock file.

So, if I understand this right, if you buy a Softronic tune, you get some version of a Proto tune at lower cost which you can load using Softronic's flash client software using a Durametric cable/interface. That's a mouthful. When I was in the process of selecting a tuner, I was told by Vivid/Softronic that they would not provide custom tweaking of their tunes which is why I went with Proto who obviously does. Now I understand why.
OK you must have read into something that was not there.

Did I say you get a Proto tune for less? NO. I think I said I help Proto along with 60 other Tuners etc in making files. I gave Markski as an example that Proto did.

Did I say that I do not make custom files or changes? NO. We do all the time yet they cost more . Bolting on clipped lets say VTG's to two 2007 997TT cars with the same Paf and daf file and octane etc would not require a custom file. I could tell you it would yet I would be lying. The files parameters that was already tested would be used for the application. This is based on the same principles that Porsche does. Do you think they make a different file for every 2007 997TT?

Vivid is a tuner and sells Softronic, Softronic Sell files to Vivid. Vivid is just the same as other companies that buy files from us.Two separate companies as Switzer is to us also.

The over revs are corrected with a different file however you only get them if you over rev the car and this would apply to ALL files in the DME stock or tuned. You could have the revs changed to 10K yet you would not get them unless you hit them.

Best,
Scott

Old 04-30-2010 | 07:13 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Good to know but evidently all these programs get shuffled and shared between vendors. Does Evoms (and others) not collaborate and everything they develop is de novo? That was my point.
There may some sharing of info but I know EvoMS sent several tune files in a couple of hours while my car was on the dyno. So EvoMS was definitely modifying the files on the fly to optimize my tune.

I am very thankful for their skill and their great customer service.

Old 04-30-2010 | 08:35 PM
ThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to all
++1. This would be very interesting to see as well as the overrev counter actually being disabled (which it should be) but how sure are you that it is? I suspect it isn't. You guys should really test your system.

This is a legitimate question and not to incite a vendor v. vendor war ...

Do any of the non-Softronic tuners on this thread have proof that the Softronic program doesn't do what Scott says, or are you just basing it on what you think you know about programming ECU's and your own programs?

Old 04-30-2010 | 11:57 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Softronic
OK you must have read into something that was not there.

Did I say you get a Proto tune for less? NO. I think I said I help Proto along with 60 other Tuners etc in making files. I gave Markski as an example that Proto did.

Did I say that I do not make custom files or changes? NO. We do all the time yet they cost more . Bolting on clipped lets say VTG's to two 2007 997TT cars with the same Paf and daf file and octane etc would not require a custom file. I could tell you it would yet I would be lying. The files parameters that was already tested would be used for the application. This is based on the same principles that Porsche does. Do you think they make a different file for every 2007 997TT?

Vivid is a tuner and sells Softronic, Softronic Sell files to Vivid. Vivid is just the same as other companies that buy files from us.Two separate companies as Switzer is to us also.

The over revs are corrected with a different file however you only get them if you over rev the car and this would apply to ALL files in the DME stock or tuned. You could have the revs changed to 10K yet you would not get them unless you hit them.

Best,
Scott
With all due respect, it's what you don't say/reveal that adds to the confusion/mystery. Are you saying that Todd K has never helped you develop your tune files? As for the bolt on VTG comment (and to use your analogy), did I say VTG anywhere? NO. I have no idea where you are coming from with that. And as for overrevs, I can't understand what you are saying here also. If you go back and read through the this long thread, somewhere Vivid stated (with confidence) that if you reload the original stock file it will wipe out the overrevs. Now you are saying that you need a "different file" to do this? What do you mean by a "different file"? Not the original file as purported by Vivid? Is it a "special file" that Softronic has developed? Please more info...

Originally Posted by ThunderRolls
This is a legitimate question and not to incite a vendor v. vendor war ...

Do any of the non-Softronic tuners on this thread have proof that the Softronic program doesn't do what Scott says, or are you just basing it on what you think you know about programming ECU's and your own programs?
Show me the money is what I'm saying. Lot's of you have Softronic tunes. Your rev limter has been raised beyond stock. Has your overrev counter been raised to not count overrevs? Did you ask your tuner about this? If so, do you know that it is actually working as advertised? If you do have overrevs, have you actually tried to "flash" remove them via the OBDII port? Just some simple straightforward questions to consider.

Last edited by TTdude; 05-01-2010 at 12:27 AM.
Old 05-01-2010 | 01:51 AM
FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !
Bingo! The contradicting starts and posts will be edited.

With all due respect, it's what you don't say/reveal that adds to the confusion/mystery. Are you saying that Todd K has never helped you develop your tune files? As for the bolt on VTG comment (and to use your analogy), did I say VTG anywhere? NO. I have no idea where you are coming from with that. And as for overrevs, I can't understand what you are saying here also. If you go back and read through the this long thread, somewhere Vivid stated (with confidence) that if you reload the original stock file it will wipe out the overrevs. Now you are saying that you need a "different file" to do this? What do you mean by a "different file"? Not the original file as purported by Vivid? Is it a "special file" that Softronic has developed? Please more info...

The one thing I cannot fathom is how much gull or ego it takes for Softronic Scott to come on a public forum and expose the backend on other companies of a particular business process. Blatantly stating that Softronic does the tunes for Switzer/Proto/vivid and "60" other tuner people. By saying this are you hoping your sales will spike from future customers who read that bs on the internet? I am sure your comments have undoubtedly upset a few businesses. That should be on a need to know basis, atleast Neil thought so...

Most of the comparisons listed are actually by the same company so in reality it is the brand name that drives us and not the manufacturer........ You may post on the name Softronic yet are using it under a different name given what Ive looked at in this thread.

Best Regards,
Scott Slauson

Yes Neil we all know now... Scott told us... It was Dans idea... since he obviously has a stake in Softronic.
Originally Posted by Neil Switzer
That is pretty cool how some of you can tell everyone else how our tunes work and what we run, considering there is a slim chance you have even looked at our files or seen what we do in person to know how we do it. I do not have the world's best memory but I don't think I have ever told anyone on here how we do what we do.

Old 05-01-2010 | 01:54 AM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TestJet

The one thing I cannot fathom is how much gull or ego it takes for Softronic Scott to come on a public forum and expose the backend on other companies of a particular business process. Blatantly stating that Softronic does the tunes for Switzer/Proto/vivid and "60" other tuner people. By saying this are you hoping your sales will spike from future customers who read that bs on the internet? I am sure your comments have undoubtedly upset a few businesses. That should be on a need to know basis, atleast Neil thought so...

Yes Neil we all know now... Scott told us... It was Dans idea... since he obviously has a stake in Softronic.
I found this a little bit odd myself.. I was never aware Switzer used Softronic.. Not that it is good or bad.. I havent said the software was ever good or bad because I honestly dont know 1st hand.. I just have a hard time believing that its UNDETECTABLE 100% so my line of questioning is just for that reason..

Mike

Old 05-01-2010 | 06:07 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Pass the popcorn.

Interesting and confusing thread.

Can someone explain how much difference there would be in a "tuned" file and a "generic" file that one could get from a variety of vendors. If I'm understanding correctly, at least one vendor is saying that the generic file is almost as good as it gets. So why pay more for a "tuned" one? I'm not being cheap! Just want to know why I should get a tuned one if I were so inclined and would appreciate any answers which will help me sort out my future power roadmap! This thread has actually added a bit to my confusion although there is good info here also.

Old 05-01-2010 | 06:11 AM
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
With all due respect, it's what you don't say/reveal that adds to the confusion/mystery. Are you saying that Todd K has never helped you develop your tune files? As for the bolt on VTG comment (and to use your analogy), did I say VTG anywhere? NO. I have no idea where you are coming from with that. And as for over-revs, I can't understand what you are saying here also. If you go back and read through the this long thread, somewhere Vivid stated (with confidence) that if you reload the original stock file it will wipe out the over-revs. Now you are saying that you need a "different file" to do this? What do you mean by a "different file"? Not the original file as purported by Vivid? Is it a "special file" that Softronic has developed? Please more info...

Show me the money is what I'm saying. Lot's of you have Softronic tunes. Your rev limter has been raised beyond stock. Has your over-rev counter been raised to not count over-revs? Did you ask your tuner about this? If so, do you know that it is actually working as advertised? If you do have over-revs, have you actually tried to "flash" remove them via the OBDII port? Just some simple straightforward questions to consider.
OK what does this say?

""Officer, I wasn't speed'n but I sure was pass'n some that were"
Proto 700 (ICs/VTGs/ECU), FVD Exhaust (Race Version)<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

This has VTG's in it and the the Proto tune that you posted you had. Why ask people to check? You have Softronic on your Desktop, An Original file, Tuned file, Softronic cable with original Durametric. Or should.

Now as far as the Over revs Ive never stated that the Tuned flash file clears them every time. I have stated that they DO NOT change so that hours, Over -revs, flash increments stay the same. Why would you want them cleared every time? Lets say you have work done to the car and had 1900 in range 1 and 600 in 2 and 3. Wouldn't it be strange that they are now all 0's and always change to 0's?

Softronic does have a separate flash that could change any of them . We could even take a DME that was programmed 3 times on a PIWIS and locked out and change it back to 1 and the PIWIS could flash it again.

Best Regards,
Scott Slauson<!-- / sig --><!-- edit note -->

Last edited by Softronic; 05-01-2010 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Clarification on Tuned file.
Old 05-01-2010 | 06:48 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by TestJet

Like I stated when I first noticed this thread after doing a general Softronic search I did not read all the 12 or so pages. I saw one that caught my eye and was tired of the mis information . How Softronic files are inferior,tuned incorrectly or less than others and so on. I wanted to make some clarifications.

I guess the mis information is OK if it helps sales for others? I rarely visit this site and only when I have to.

I have also never stated that I do all of Proto's work in fact I have stated that we as other talented people work together.Was this a secret as you state? No since Todd sends out and uses Softronic cables and flashing software. The other companies also post the Softronic logo.

I believe that all of the conclusions and once again mis-information is being posted by other people or the few. Many of which do not have or use Softronic in any fashion. You have another Tuner listed so why the concern in the Softronic thread and our Dealers?

I also posted on the over -revs in which may have been incorrectly posted by Vivid, yet I have not looked at all the posts.

Best Regards,
Scott Slauson

Last edited by Softronic; 05-01-2010 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Text
Old 05-01-2010 | 08:06 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by The Bogg
Pass the popcorn.

Can someone explain how much difference there would be in a "tuned" file and a "generic" file that one could get from a variety of vendors. If I'm understanding correctly, at least one vendor is saying that the generic file is almost as good as it gets. So why pay more for a "tuned" one? I'm not being cheap! Just want to know why I should get a tuned one if I were so inclined and would appreciate any answers which will help me sort out my future power roadmap! This thread has actually added a bit to my confusion although there is good info here also.
Hello,

A tuned file would be considered any one that is changed outside of the factory or stock one used in the car (altered). The generic in this fashion or used on this site has been labeled as one that would be given out to anyone of the same car regardless. Basically you have a 996TT stock as the generic term has been used you get the same file as the guy with a 996TT and 24/18. This though would not be correct as both aps require a different changes so in reality you would get a different tune.

The main difference would be Custom or not. A custom tune is used on cars that have special requirements that are outside of a tune that has been used for the same set up. As an example the same tune could be used for 2 or 3 of the same cars, or more. Perhaps instead of term same tune I should say the specifications are used, as every file has to be made for each car individually. A 93 or 91 octane file made for a specific package or turbo set up does not require customization in every car. Now you could change the rev limiter and other small aspects yet it is not a new customized tune. A customized tune by my definition would be if you added different injectors or wheels, cams, compression etc in which would change major factors in the file and making the specifications for that tune incorrect.

Porsche as a manufacturer makes one file for the 2007 997TT man trans in NA. This file is used in California, Florida , New York and every other state and Country in NA. They have made changes or updates to the 1 file yet they would still supersede to this one file. In fact the 08,09 car would then also use that file or super cession. This file started out a B720 and has progressed to a B742 series.

Making a tuned file for these cars then comes into how much the tuner has in information on the file or has access to. Some may just up the boost pressure while others would add more fuel or timing tables and other factors etc. This set of parameters would then be used in all same applications by that tuner unless it was changed requiring the custom file for that 1 car.

Basically the tune would be different on the tuners knowledge and information that he or she has access to. More expensive is not always better yet the least isn't either.

Best Regards,
Scott Slauson

Old 05-01-2010 | 08:26 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Hello,

A tuned file would be considered any one that is changed outside of the factory or stock one used in the car (altered). The generic in this fashion or used on this site has been labeled as one that would be given out to anyone of the same car regardless. Basically you have a 996TT stock as the generic term has been used you get the same file as the guy with a 996TT and 24/18. This though would not be correct as both aps require a different changes so in reality you would get a different tune.

The main difference would be Custom or not. A custom tune is used on cars that have special requirements that are outside of a tune that has been used for the same set up. As an example the same tune could be used for 2 or 3 of the same cars, or more. Perhaps instead of term same tune I should say the specifications are used, as every file has to be made for each car individually. A 93 or 91 octane file made for a specific package or turbo set up does not require customization in every car. Now you could change the rev limiter and other small aspects yet it is not a new customized tune. A customized tune by my definition would be if you added different injectors or wheels, cams, compression etc in which would change major factors in the file and making the specifications for that tune incorrect.

Porsche as a manufacturer makes one file for the 2007 997TT man trans in NA. This file is used in California, Florida , New York and every other state and Country in NA. They have made changes or updates to the 1 file yet they would still supersede to this one file. In fact the 08,09 car would then also use that file or super cession. This file started out a B720 and has progressed to a B742 series.

Making a tuned file for these cars then comes into how much the tuner has in information on the file or has access to. Some may just up the boost pressure while others would add more fuel or timing tables and other factors etc. This set of parameters would then be used in all same applications by that tuner unless it was changed requiring the custom file for that 1 car.

Basically the tune would be different on the tuners knowledge and information that he or she has access to. More expensive is not always better yet the least isn't either.

Best Regards,
Scott Slauson
Thanks for that clarification. I think you have confirmed what I suspected. Each tuner adjusts the parameters within safe operating limits but the adjustments each tuner makes are slightly different from each other which would differentiate their product from others. For example, one tuner has MASSIVE torque increases with just a relatively small horse power increase. Others might aim for high horsepower as the primary objective. Driveability may not be the same for each tune, and that's something that a buyer would have to determine by testing a car with a specific tune or relying on other members' impressions.
Just so that I'm clear, if I were to add an ECU tune to my car with an aftermarket exhaust and no other mods then I wouldn't need a "custom" tune from any manufacturer, just their "standard" tune for a car with aftermarket exhaust, is that right? For example, if I went with the Softronic ECU software upgrade then it would be the "standard" upgrade file which would apply to any 997tt (I'm not sure if you optimize the file differently for a car with an aftermarket exhaust vs the stock exhaust).
thanks

Old 05-01-2010 | 10:03 AM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Pass the popcorn.

I think a generic flash is good for a generic setup, ie, exhaust and high flow filter.

You would definitely want someone to fine tune the flash if you had anything else installed. I don't remember the exact numbers, but Mike @ AWD probably picked up another 30hp and a bunch more tq from the base file of EvoMSit. Mike and Todd Z. kept modifying the file to get the best and still stay at a safe level. Well worth it!

Old 05-01-2010 | 10:43 AM
That makes sense to me. I'm just a bit puzzled about what could be individualized within the context of specific upgrades like exhaust,i/c, vtgs etc... I'm sure there's far more to it than what I understand, and when I'm actually ready to get the upgrade I'll certainly ask the questions to the tuner I choose. It is useful to hear input even now, so thanks for yours.

Old 05-01-2010 | 11:03 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
OK what does this say?

""Officer, I wasn't speed'n but I sure was pass'n some that were"
Proto 700 (ICs/VTGs/ECU), FVD Exhaust (Race Version)<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

This has VTG's in it and the the Proto tune that you posted you had. Why ask people to check? You have Softronic on your Desktop, An Original file, Tuned file, Softronic cable with original Durametric. Or should.

Now as far as the Over revs Ive never stated that the Tuned flash file clears them every time. I have stated that they DO NOT change so that hours, Over -revs, flash increments stay the same. Why would you want them cleared every time? Lets say you have work done to the car and had 1900 in range 1 and 600 in 2 and 3. Wouldn't it be strange that they are now all 0's and always change to 0's?

Softronic does have a separate flash that could change any of them . We could even take a DME that was programmed 3 times on a PIWIS and locked out and change it back to 1 and the PIWIS could flash it again.

Best Regards,
Scott Slauson<!-- / sig --><!-- edit note -->
Wow. No distortion here. There you go again grasping at VTG where ever you can conveniently find it. I've now removed it from my signature.

You really should read through this thread since it's your product that is being reviewed. The OP, who is one of your customers, asked for criticisms about Softronic. People chimed in. DaveW had criticized Softronic's reliance on knock sensors to adjust timing. If you go back and read what I wrote, I supported this approach and said things were overstated and there was a lot of speculation. This was a good discussion. What became inflammatory was the statement that people's warranty's are safe with Softonic tunes. Now you can deny that you ever said this but nobody is going to buy it. The overrevs came up because of that "warranty safe" statement. I raised the issue that if there is something wrong with your motor and Porsche sees that you have spent time in stage 2-3 ignition ranges then you better pray that Porsche will honor your warranty. That's when Dan said if you flash it back with the original stock file it will clear the ovverrevs. Evidently, this is not true.

As for my set-up, if you send me that special overrev ablation file, I would be happy to check it out and see if it really works.

Last edited by TTdude; 05-01-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-01-2010 | 11:10 AM
Basic Sponsor
That makes sense to me. I'm just a bit puzzled about what could be individualized within the context of specific upgrades like exhaust,i/c, vtgs etc... I'm sure there's far more to it than what I understand, and when I'm actually ready to get the upgrade I'll certainly ask the questions to the tuner I choose. It is useful to hear input even now, so thanks for yours.
Not speaking for other tuners diverter Valves , air filter and typically an exhaust does not require any further changes to the file when set up correctly. The exhaust would allow more boost yet the parameters could have been pre defined so that you could add it on or already have it. This would apply to the cats and what controls the post O2 sensors for race elimination or 200 cell etc.

You could make a file without other provisions and then make changes to it every time yet why not make one that has these added items built in to it?. I started making the files like this back in 2005 and called them a "Smart file".

Now should you add G30/76 turbos 28's , different injectors, greddy etc then yes an upgrade to another file would be required.

Best Regards,
Scott

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Softronic Software Criticism