997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Softronic Software Criticism

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2010 | 07:11 AM
|
BarrettG is infamous around these parts
Has anybody had any kind of problems with any particular software? Is there a possibility to damage the car/engine?

Old 04-10-2010 | 09:16 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
no chance of damage, knock sensor is saving the engine before its too late. Even if you upload a very bad program on the ECU worst case the car will not rev just idle

Old 04-10-2010 | 09:20 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by milou
REVO is another option, each company offers different extras that might suit different customers needs.

For example EVOMS can add a switch to your ECU from where you can shift to racefuel and back without loosing sport mode button.

REVO offers same option but you have to connect to a laptop in orfder to shift to racefuel. (a bit more complicated) I think TPC uses REVO. (not sure)

I don't know about Softronic, what they do with the racefuel map. In my case i have bought a Softronic cable and do runs collecting data so my tuner will do a custom mapping for my car. I think this is the best option, the problem is that every time i use racefuel i have to pull the battery in order to reset and change to pump fuel, (this is something that i hate to do)

It you're just looking for a tune i think you cannot go wrong with Softronic or EVOMS
i cant beleive that you mentioned revo , revo is junk do a quick search on here and see, some blown motors cuase of it... you have a 20k +engine why risk it with a crappy cheap tune like revo.

softronic is good. if thats what you want then go for it.

Old 04-10-2010 | 09:21 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
no chance of damage, knock sensor is saving the engine before its too late. Even if you upload a very bad program on the ECU worst case the car will not rev just idle
not true !!! if the flash is crappy , you can damage the motor.

Last edited by unvmy996; 04-10-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-10-2010 | 09:25 AM
xseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to all
I have no criticism of Softronic. I can say - since you're in MD - you'd be making a mistake if you didn't consider TPC. I did their software upgrade (and suspension), nothing else to the engine, stock exhaust. My RWHP went from 430 to 514 with software and a dyno tune. Dead flat torque curve. Have a module with the stock map, so I can put back to stock for warranty work, and they gave me a second map with about 50 less hp that they recommend for DE/track days. Plus, they are great guys and will support you at the track if you go. What more to you want?

No sure how price compares, but its probably close. If I was in SoCal, perhaps I'd be working with SW, but if you're DC area, TPC is a no brainer.

Old 04-10-2010 | 09:29 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
xseal makes a very good point indeed. If you're in an area with a really good/reputable tuner it's always best to consider utilizing them. If something every goes wrong etc.. or for general support etc... it makes sense

Old 04-10-2010 | 09:31 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
I'll wait for the professionals to answer to if the 997tt engine can be dammaged from a bad ECU.

If i'm not mistaken TPC uses REVO on their 997tt, a think they know better

The only way to blow the engine is to go with another than the stock ECU

Old 04-10-2010 | 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by sharkster
xseal makes a very good point indeed. If you're in an area with a really good/reputable tuner it's always best to consider utilizing them. If something every goes wrong etc.. or for general support etc... it makes sense

Can you please answer to this question, can the engine be gammaged using the stock ECU?

Old 04-10-2010 | 09:52 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I would recommend a obd port flash, such as FVD. I had another flash on my car (PES) which required ecu removal, it was never 100% what I wanted, and driving to PA was a hassle. The FVD is a great custom German flash, and the customer support is 2nd to none. I was on the phone with the guy from Germany at 10pm sat nite, of course the fact that I speak German helps. Call Rhonda.
That being said, if you're in MD you should go to TPC, if they were closer that's where I'd go. They do use the revo, as farnbacherloles also did, so I think they know what they are doing. A bad flash can ruin your motor, it's not all about max boost and max HP, but reliability and a steady TQ curve. If you ever have a choice, take a race shop like TPC/FL over a tuner that also installs 21" rims on escalades.
The only negative about softronics is the feature where they turn off the CEL, I'd rather know about problems.
Giac is another off the shelf flash, some love it, some don't. My brother had it on his car and it sucked, he eventually did the Ruf550 conversion and the car runs fantastic, like OEM, but that's 25k.
The only negative about the evo flash is the ecu removal which I'm not fond of personally, but they may be changing that soon.
The other advantage to port side flashes is the cost, tend to be about 1000$ cheaper.
Those are my opinions and I'm sticking to them!

Old 04-10-2010 | 11:25 AM
|
BarrettG is infamous around these parts
Thanks guys, I will reach out to TPC. Does anybody know of any other reputable tuners in the Maryland area?

TIA,
Barrett

Old 04-10-2010 | 12:04 PM
Arone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud of
AWE isn't to far

Old 04-10-2010 | 01:30 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTdude
Actually there are several options for OBDII flash. Check out (alphabetically) FVD, GIAC, and Protomotive. Not sure if Switzer and TPC do OBDII flashes and I believe EVOMsit is working on one. I would personally try to make contact with each vendor and you might find that you connect better with one over the other. I would be happy to tell you about my experience with Protomotive. Just PM me.
I believe the GIAC tune can be changed on the fly via the obdII port but the initial setup requires the ECU to be sent in (at least that how it seems on AWEs website and they do a GIAC tune).

You're right about having a reputable dealer nearby and I think I'll at least give Pfaff Tuning a call and discuss with them. heck, I may even get to keep my warranty if I buy from them!

PM sent

Old 04-10-2010 | 01:35 PM
I'll wait for the professionals to answer to if the 997tt engine can be dammaged from a bad ECU.

If i'm not mistaken TPC uses REVO on their 997tt, a think they know better

The only way to blow the engine is to go with another than the stock ECU
The afr 's can be super lean and there for damage the engine. a few wide open throttle runs and there you have it .

Old 04-10-2010 | 04:08 PM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I would recommend a obd port flash, such as FVD. I had another flash on my car (PES) which required ecu removal, it was never 100% what I wanted, and driving to PA was a hassle. The FVD is a great custom German flash, and the customer support is 2nd to none. I was on the phone with the guy from Germany at 10pm sat nite, of course the fact that I speak German helps. Call Rhonda.
That being said, if you're in MD you should go to TPC, if they were closer that's where I'd go. They do use the revo, as farnbacherloles also did, so I think they know what they are doing. A bad flash can ruin your motor, it's not all about max boost and max HP, but reliability and a steady TQ curve. If you ever have a choice, take a race shop like TPC/FL over a tuner that also installs 21" rims on escalades.
The only negative about softronics is the feature where they turn off the CEL, I'd rather know about problems.
Giac is another off the shelf flash, some love it, some don't. My brother had it on his car and it sucked, he eventually did the Ruf550 conversion and the car runs fantastic, like OEM, but that's 25k.
The only negative about the evo flash is the ecu removal which I'm not fond of personally, but they may be changing that soon.
The other advantage to port side flashes is the cost, tend to be about 1000$ cheaper.
Those are my opinions and I'm sticking to them!

"The only negative about softronics is the feature where they turn off the CEL " what are you talking about? Do you mean the post cat O2 sensor range in order to run 100 cell or No cats?

Old 04-10-2010 | 04:55 PM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
I would call switzer if I was you.. Tym does outstanding work

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Softronic Software Criticism