997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Softronic Software Criticism

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2010 | 10:07 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
So softronic will cover any engine related warranty issue, now that's a good warranty.

Old 04-17-2010 | 08:08 AM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
So softronic will cover any engine related warranty issue, now that's a good warranty.

And it a great tune. I love the fact there is no need to remove your ECU.

Old 04-17-2010 | 10:50 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sparkhill
From the www.softronictuning.com guarantee page, Softronic/Vivid states, "To answer the biggest question, no this will not affect your warranty of the vehicle when only using our files. " Kudos to you for going the extra mile and guaranteeing that the Porsche factory warranty will remain intact with a Softronic flash (as long as flashed back to stock). To my knowledge, you are the only tuner offering such a solid, written, warranty. What is the process for making a claim if you follow the instructions, flash back to stock and Porsche denies a warranty claim?
So if you blow your motor at 7200 and stock ECU red-line is 6750, Softronic will pay to replace your motor? I don't think so.

Old 04-17-2010 | 05:43 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTdude
So if you blow your motor at 7200 and stock ECU red-line is 6750, Softronic will pay to replace your motor? I don't think so.
I was certainly surprised to see anyone guaranteeing the factory warranty would remain intact after a flash.

Old 04-18-2010 | 05:48 AM
|
BarrettG is infamous around these parts
I just finished installing my softronic upgrade and all I can say is WOW!!! Dan, thanks for all of your help. What a difference!!!

Old 04-18-2010 | 12:10 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I was certainly surprised to see anyone guaranteeing the factory warranty would remain intact after a flash.
I too find that hard to swallow, we'll see when somebody has a problem, those are big $$ promises.

Old 04-18-2010 | 06:17 PM
DAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to behold
Well, since the OP asked for somebody to play devil's advovcate and criticize Softronic, and nobody has in 4 pages...I'll bite: I think their entire philosophy is flawed. They rely on the knock sensor (and other safety parameters) in the software to adjust map & boost values. This is not sound engine management in my book. Every knock is causing potential damage to your motor, and the presence of knock should not be used for map management. They will argue that the factory program does this out of the box, but this is a missnomer, as the factory program uses it to compansate and adjust when you are forced to run less than optimal fuel or other rare occasions that lead to random knock, and not as primary factor. Loading multiple maps and then letting the KS choose which one is optimal, is entirely different. Run 100 octane one day and then fill with 91 and you are going to get a ton of knock while the ECI tries to find the right parameters to run w/o knock. Every ping a massive pressure spike that is just hammering on your engine.

No thank you...

And for the poster that claims you cannot damage the motor if you are using the factory ECU, even when reporgrammed. This is completly not true. I could wreck easily your motor by reflashing your factory ECU with the wrong tables.

Finally, there is a difference being software being technically detectable, and legally voiding your warranty. Reflashing the ECU with any program by anybody other than a dealer is legally voiding your warranty. Whether Porsche finds out and is able to enforce this breach is an entirely different argument. Posting here is one way they might find out though....just saying.

Oveall, I'm not saying that Softronic or anybody else will trash your motor if you use it. I'm just saying its not all roses, and you should look at the underlying appraoch that each tuner takes to the way they change the EOM software, and how that effects your motor's long term health before you jump on any bandwagons.

dw

Old 04-18-2010 | 06:33 PM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
Originally Posted by DAVE W
Well, since the OP asked for somebody to play devil's advovcate and criticize Softronic, and nobody has in 4 pages...I'll bite: I think their entire philosophy is flawed. They rely on the knock sensor (and other safety parameters) in the software to adjust map & boost values. This is not sound engine management in my book. Every knock is causing potential damage to your motor, and the presence of knock should not be used for map management. They will argue that the factory program does this out of the box, but this is a missnomer, as the factory program uses it to compansate and adjust when you are forced to run less than optimal fuel or other rare occasions that lead to random knock, and not as primary factor. Loading multiple maps and then letting the KS choose which one is optimal, is entirely different. Run 100 octane one day and then fill with 91 and you are going to get a ton of knock while the ECI tries to find the right parameters to run w/o knock. Every ping a massive pressure spike that is just hammering on your engine.

No thank you...

And for the poster that claims you cannot damage the motor if you are using the factory ECU, even when reporgrammed. This is completly not true. I could wreck easily your motor by reflashing your factory ECU with the wrong tables.

Finally, there is a difference being software being technically detectable, and legally voiding your warranty. Reflashing the ECU with any program by anybody other than a dealer is legally voiding your warranty. Whether Porsche finds out and is able to enforce this breach is an entirely different argument. Posting here is one way they might find out though....just saying.

Oveall, I'm not saying that Softronic or anybody else will trash your motor if you use it. I'm just saying its not all roses, and you should look at the underlying appraoch that each tuner takes to the way they change the EOM software, and how that effects your motor's long term health before you jump on any bandwagons.

dw
Dave,

What are your credentials? are you an electrical engineer in the automotive industry?

Old 04-18-2010 | 09:42 PM

No thank you...

dw
Very informative, thanks.

Old 04-18-2010 | 10:37 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
TT Surgeon - no Softronic will not cover your warranty if you blow it. That is not what the warranty guarantee that VIVID RACING puts on SoftronicTuning.com.

Old 04-19-2010 | 12:02 AM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vividracing
TT Surgeon - no Softronic will not cover your warranty if you blow it. That is not what the warranty guarantee that VIVID RACING puts on SoftronicTuning.com.
I am confused. In post #40 and #44, I quote your website stating the factory warranty is guaranteed to remain intact. In post #45, you agreed with what I posted. Now you are saying that Softronic will not cover warranty issues denied by Porsche due to the fact the car has been flashed. I guess just don't know what the "warranty guarantee" is then.

It seems like you "guarantee" that the software is undetectable therefore ensuring your factory warranty remains intact; the exception is when the software is detected and your factory warranty is voided. In the latter circumstance, Softronic will not cover you and Porsche will not cover you, so you really don't have any warranty guarantee at all. And we are not even touching on the fact that, if issues arose, the owner would need to commit fraud by telling Porsche the car was unmodified when it was. The circular logic just makes my head hurt.

All of the other tuners state that, if Porsche looks hard enough, their software is potentially detectable and such modification jeopardizes your warranty.

Last edited by sparkhill; 04-19-2010 at 12:21 AM.
Old 04-19-2010 | 12:13 AM
Nico is infamous around these partsNico is infamous around these parts
GIAC would be a great option for anyone who is looking for a "true flash" all while obtaining the ability of switching maps through the OBD port. The ECU only needs to be removed during install but after that, all you gotta do is hook up the flash loader to the OBD port and you're set.

Old 04-19-2010 | 09:03 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Our guarantee is here - http://www.softronictuning.com/guarantee/. I have updated the text for those that like to read WAY to into things

I also suggest that people read these 2 things:
http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=60128
http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=60127

Last edited by vividracing; 04-19-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-19-2010 | 09:49 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !

No thank you...

dw
While there maybe some truth to this, I believe it is way overblown. From conversations I have had with my tuner, he says the new knock sensing algorithms in the 997tts are truly excellent. Yes it was a problem for the old 993na and TTs which used to wait for audible knock before backing off timing but the new stuff is sensing it way before it is even audible. With CA 91 pump, we are working off knock sensors all the time.

Old 04-19-2010 | 11:02 AM
I am confused. In post #40 and #44, I quote your website stating the factory warranty is guaranteed to remain intact. In post #45, you agreed with what I posted. Now you are saying that Softronic will not cover warranty issues denied by Porsche due to the fact the car has been flashed. I guess just don't know what the "warranty guarantee" is then.

It seems like you "guarantee" that the software is undetectable therefore ensuring your factory warranty remains intact; the exception is when the software is detected and your factory warranty is voided. In the latter circumstance, Softronic will not cover you and Porsche will not cover you, so you really don't have any warranty guarantee at all. And we are not even touching on the fact that, if issues arose, the owner would need to commit fraud by telling Porsche the car was unmodified when it was. The circular logic just makes my head hurt.

All of the other tuners state that, if Porsche looks hard enough, their software is potentially detectable and such modification jeopardizes your warranty.
The only one you don't have a worry with is Ruf. When they plug in the PWIS cable, "RUF" is on the opening screen, proud as hell.
Vivid has been upfront, this is a softronics warranty clarification issue.
c

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Softronic Software Criticism