997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Softronic Software Criticism

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2010 | 07:23 PM
ThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to all
As newbie as I am to tuning, I would like to point out something about the warranty issue.

First, I would like to say that I have driven about 500 miles on the softronic tune and love it! Throttle response and turbo engagement are noticeably better than stock. As an aside, I got in my F250 last week and got on the gas which left me wondering if the turbo was even working on it ...

Back to the warranty issue, which seems to be a pretty straight forward issue to me. You are modifying the software to run different parameters than the factory recommends. If you have a blown engine due to operation outside of the parameters, is it really right that you cover up your modification and expect Porsche to pay for it?

Likewise, if the failed engine is due to a manufacturing or design flaw, Porsche should pick up the tab regardless of your ECU modification. Each case is going to be fact specific, and broad generalizations here are not going to be relevant.

Lastly, the Softronic site says: "Like any modification, there can be risks associated. SoftronicTuning.com, Softronic.us, or Vivid Racing does not cover any warranty claims."

Clearly, Softronic attempts to warrant nothing but that their flash is undetectable if you reflash your car with the original Porsche factory program. They are advocating that you will be able to make a claim under your Porsche warranty even if the software caused the engine failure, and even if Porsche does detect it, Softronic will not back up the Porsche warranty claim.

Soooo .... if your new tune caused the problem and Porsche detects it, you might get into a situation where Porsche says you reflashed with an aftermarket tune and deny your warranty claim. Then Softronic will say you assumed the risk and so what if Porsche detected it, you knew you did something that could void your warranty and why should Softronic pay for it just because you got caught. What are you going to say, that Softronic guaranteed that you could trick Porsche and you didn't??? That's a precarious position to be in.

All that being said, I really love the new responsiveness of my car with the Softronic flash, and don't regret it one bit. Responsible driving is a must always, and I don't believe that the Softronic flash is going to cause more abuse to my Porsche parts with my driving habits. I don't track, and I'm not excessive with my throttle. I just get on it once in awhile ....

Old 04-21-2010 | 09:53 PM
DAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to behold
Call it speculation or anything you want...blow it off, whatever. The OP asked for a criticizm and I provided a non-baised one. I'm not surprised that the resellers are upset by this... Simple fact is that some programs are written with new map values developed specifically for particular octane fuel and optomized A/F rations, timing and boost strategies, etc... others are not specifically tuned for any particular octane but simply designed to adapt within parameters of the ECUs inherent adaptability, which is a pretty small window of +/- 15 degrees of timing. Its also rather slow to recover once timing has been pulled to compensate for any knock events... I obviuusly have my prefence and others have thiers.

You can write it off as specuation...but I assure you its not. here is a good thread on the topic from when Softronic fist came out via FVD:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post1273585

Finally, I'll just say that if we could reliably rely on the ECU to maximize performance we wouldn't need Tuners. Theres a reason map writing is considered and art and why only a handful of people in the world can actually do it well....

Old 04-21-2010 | 11:05 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DAVE W
Call it speculation or anything you want...blow it off, whatever. The OP asked for a criticizm and I provided a non-baised one. I'm not surprised that the resellers are upset by this... Simple fact is that some programs are written with new map values developed specifically for particular octane fuel and optomized A/F rations, timing and boost strategies, etc... others are not specifically tuned for any particular octane but simply designed to adapt within parameters of the ECUs inherent adaptability, which is a pretty small window of +/- 15 degrees of timing. Its also rather slow to recover once timing has been pulled to compensate for any knock events... I obviuusly have my prefence and others have thiers.

You can write it off as specuation...but I assure you its not. here is a good thread on the topic from when Softronic fist came out via FVD:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post1273585

Finally, I'll just say that if we could reliably rely on the ECU to maximize performance we wouldn't need Tuners. Theres a reason map writing is considered and art and why only a handful of people in the world can actually do it well....
You've started an interesting discussion and gave your frank opinon so reps to you for that. I agree there are only a handful who can do this well it will come down to personal preferences as you say. Just curious, whose tune are you running?

Old 04-21-2010 | 11:35 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
So if I'm out of factory warranty, but have an after market warranty, that so far has covered some minor issues, is the dealer obligated to test for a "non-detectable" flash to cover any engine damage?

Old 04-21-2010 | 11:38 PM
DAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to behold
Thanks. I'm not running anything at the monent in the Gt3. Its only a few months old and I really haven't felt the need given the modest gains for a NA motor and how much I'm loving it as is. My last TT had a custom Protomotive tune. I've also run GIAC and Revo in a bunch of different street cars & motronic in race cars, as well as my own custom rewrites.

Old 04-22-2010 | 12:00 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Thanks. I'm not running anything at the monent in the Gt3. Its only a few months old and I really haven't felt the need given the modest gains for a NA motor and how much I'm loving it as is. My last TT had a custom Protomotive tune. I've also run GIAC and Revo in a bunch of different street cars & motronic in race cars, as well as my own custom rewrites.
That sounds cool. Your discussion with FVD was also very informative. Thanks for your input. So Softronic just started supplying tune files in 2007+?

Old 04-22-2010 | 12:57 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
With any warranty "honesty is the best policy". If you blow an engine, that reason causing the failure can and will be found through using failure diagnosis techniques and equipment. P would have both the equipment and technical know how so to make anything up is fraught with danger for the person fabricating the story of his blow. . So be careful with that.

Old 04-22-2010 | 09:56 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
TTDude - incorrect. Its pretty evident that DaveW has some bad blood or issue with Softronic.

Old 04-22-2010 | 03:59 PM
|
BarrettG is infamous around these parts
I just wanted to thank everyone for all of their input. This forum is an invaluable resource when it comes to our cars. I just drove my car again and the shear excitement that it brings to me makes it worth every penny spent. I personally want to thank Dan @ vivid racing for assisting me and I can't begin to tell you how satisfied I am.

Cheers,
Barrett

Old 04-22-2010 | 06:55 PM
to the contrary as well...I have absolutely no bad blood or issues with softronic, or anybody else for that matter. I think very highly of Scott and think he a stand up guy. He's accomplished a lot in a short period of time, does a lot for PCA, and from what I hear, he offers great customer service. Most seem pretty happy with his products as well...I simply dissagree with the approach taken with the software.

Old 04-22-2010 | 07:09 PM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
to the contrary as well...I have absolutely no bad blood or issues with softronic, or anybody else for that matter. I think very highly of Scott and think he a stand up guy. He's accomplished a lot in a short period of time, does a lot for PCA, and from what I hear, he offers great customer service. Most seem pretty happy with his products as well...I simply dissagree with the approach taken with the software.

"I simply disagree with the approach taken with the software."<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
what? who are you to say that? are you an automotive electronics engineer? what is your background?

Old 04-22-2010 | 08:37 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lardog
"I simply disagree with the approach taken with the software."<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
what? who are you to say that? are you an automotive electronics engineer? what is your background?
I was unaware that a a degree in engineering was required to have an educated opinion.

Last edited by bbywu; 04-22-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-22-2010 | 11:48 PM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
I don't understand why tempers are flaring to this extent.
It is perfectly normal that opinions are divided when it comes to mods.
These differing opinions, and our ability to freely state them without risking animosity or temper provocation among ourselves, are what enrich our 6speedonline experience.
We all end up with our preferences and our brand loyalties and, as such, our opinions should all be taken with a little bit of salt and a bit of a smile, then we move on to another topic.
I for one have already selected my upgrade path even before my car gets here.
I put my faith in Dan and Vivid and shall follow his advice (be it Softronic or otherwise) with the knowledge that he will always do his best to do right by me.

Old 04-23-2010 | 05:25 AM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
Originally Posted by bbywu
I was unaware that a a degree in engineering was required to have an educated opinion.

All i am saying is that if you disagree with the approach, what is your training to back up the claim? Just show me proof

Old 04-23-2010 | 05:37 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Arrrgh.....the sounds of clashing swords!

Its nearing time to put this one to bed before there are casualties.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Softronic Software Criticism