997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Softronic Software Criticism

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2010 | 09:46 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Yeah but Tony, give Scott credit for helping you out alot with questions that allowed you to be successful in Porsche... You have done well and have a ton of dealers and cool products. Without Softronic, all my Porsche success is worthless. Anyone can weld pipes, but without tuning, there is no power kit.

Cannga - Many of these companies work together on files. There are 2 things here, the ability to write code and the ability to flash via OBDII. Alot of companies purchase basic code writing tools like WinOLS and then use hardware like DimSport, Byteshooter, CMD, Alientech, etc. That is easy, then you just need to know what you are doing with the tools. The problem with these tools is they are usually master tools that you can only do the file transfer at your place or customers can mail in the ECU. These tools are about $20K. Like a CNC machine, you can buy one, but if you dont know how to use it, its worthless. The key here is the importance of how the file is read out and altered. Like we have promoted heavily on www.Softronictuning.com, Softronic reads out the entire 1mb of the complete file. Not just a portion of it like others. We also provide the original file to return your car to stock. There are no massive global changes or stock like files. Unlike a STI or EVO, the Porsche has 1000s of maps.

The 2nd half is the hard part and that requires the ability to get the code to the ECU. Companies like Switzer, FVD, Protomotive all write/develop/share their own code to my knowledge. So when you get a tune from them, your getting a specific tune they created or developed. Their might be information sharing there. These guys share the information to develop the best map for their customers. For stock 997TT flashes, its not that this matters, its when you buy a VR825, or a Protomotive 800, or a SPI850 is where the individuality comes into play. Softronic, to my knowledge, has the hardware that allows for the OBDII flashing as well as the hardware to do the data checking which mates the code/maps to be written back to the ECU. They also have the OBDII technology that allows the flashing to the cars.

Old 04-29-2010 | 09:55 AM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vividracing
Yeah but Tony, give Scott credit for helping you out alot with questions that allowed you to be successful in Porsche... You have done well and have a ton of dealers and cool products. Without Softronic, all my Porsche success is worthless. Anyone can weld pipes, but without tuning, there is no power kit.
Absolutely 100% false. I had been tuning ME7 ecu's for years prior to even knowing the existence of softronic or Scott.

Scott and I have not once spoken about anything deeply technical.

Further more... From what I can tell, it looks like softronic has only been in existence since 2008 (Manta). I tuned my first 996 in early 2005.

Last edited by Tony@epl; 04-29-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-29-2010 | 10:20 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Well that is for you guys to discuss. Just remember your humbleness.

My first experience with Softronic was in 2007 after bad dealings with Upsolute and their inability to custom tune or OBDII flash. I was talking to Todd at Proto and Mitch our tuner reached out to Scott. Todd told us to deal with Scott. Been a great partnership
http://www.vividracing.com/forums/pr...eir-doors.html

Old 04-29-2010 | 10:24 AM
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tony@epl
Absolutely 100% false. I had been tuning ME7 ecu's for years prior to even knowing the existence of softronic or Scott.

Scott and I have not once spoken about anything deeply technical.

Further more... From what I can tell, it looks like softronic has only been in existence since 2008 (Manta). I tuned my first 996 in early 2005.
I think this is not all correct nor true as we have spoken and Porsche tuning required more than just tuning an ME7 before. Your dates are also not correct On Softronic nor my development and use before hand. I have been doing conversion files back to 1997 since the intro of OBD flashing.

Now as far as other posts by other users adding companies to the list I did not find them all in this thread and do not have the time to check yet yes Softronic does do tuning for many of them so the flashes would be the same unless specific changes had been made for that vendor.
Best Regards,
Scott Slauson

Old 04-29-2010 | 10:45 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Softronic
I think this is not all correct nor true as we have spoken and Porsche tuning required more than just tuning an ME7 before. Your dates are also not correct On Softronic nor my development and use before hand. I have been doing conversion files back to 1997 since the intro of OBD flashing.

Now as far as other posts by other users adding companies to the list I did not find them all in this thread and do not have the time to check yet yes Softronic does do tuning for many of them so the flashes would be the same unless specific changes had been made for that vendor.
Best Regards,
Scott Slauson
It's good to know that when we purchase a Proto tune, or FVD, or Switzer, or TPC, that we are really getting Softronic but at higher cost.

Old 04-29-2010 | 10:59 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TTdude
It's good to know that when we purchase a Proto tune, or FVD, or Switzer, or TPC, that we are really getting Softronic but at higher cost.
So you're saying that when i did some datalogs and collected data via Softronic cable and durametric diagnostic tool, and send them over to Todd Knighton, and then he send me back a new ECU program, what was that new program? Do you think that it was a creation of Softronic? I don't think so.
He did all the adjustments needed for my car to produce as much power as possible.

Old 04-29-2010 | 11:00 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by milou
So you're saying that when i did some datalogs and collected data via Softronic cable and durametric diagnostic tool, and send them over to Todd Knighton, and then he send me back a new ECU program, what was that new program? Do you think that it was a creation of Softronic? I don't think so.
He did all the adjustments needed for my car to produce as much power as possible.
No, I'm not saying that at all. This is what Softronic is implying. (Milou, read my post #120 about Proto)

Last edited by TTdude; 04-29-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-29-2010 | 11:07 AM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
These last few weeks 6speed has been a dangerous place for Tuners.

Old 04-29-2010 | 11:11 AM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
All I can say is WOW!!!!

Who to believe?

Old 04-29-2010 | 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by GotBoost?
All I can say is WOW!!!!

Who to believe?
That's the $60K question. You have EVOMsit but that's probably Tech Tec in disguise. Who really knows?

Old 04-29-2010 | 11:20 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
so,dyrametric cable is engineered by sofrtronic?If so well done...Via this cable many tuners can perform OBD flashing...

Old 04-29-2010 | 11:25 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
No one company is responsible or generates programing files for others.

There are several programming software programs available...WinOLS, ScanXL...Some are more limited, some allow you to do more. Tuners help each other behind the scenes. Generic files can be bought and sold, modified, customized. ECU tuning engineers change tuners often...RS Tuning engineers were former Ruf programmers...Euro tuners work with US tuners.

In the end...you need to trust the tuner you work with to provide your car with a safe optimal tune.

Old 04-29-2010 | 11:28 AM
[quote=bbywu;2821390]No one company is responsible or generates programing files for others.

There are several programming software programs available...WinOLS, ScanXL...Some are more limited, some allow you to do more. Tuners help each other behind the scenes. Generic files can be bought and sold, modified, customized. ECU tuning engineers change tuners often...RS Tuning engineers were former Ruf programmers...Euro tuners work with US tuners.

In the end...you need to trust the tuner you work with to provide your car with a safe optimal tune.[/quote]

So true and I would only add, do your homework before choosing a tuner.

Old 04-29-2010 | 11:47 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Todd Knighton is for sure one of the best ECU tunners out there

Old 04-29-2010 | 12:11 PM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
After reading all this, I am glad I went with Softronic for my tune. I did it my self and the 997 turbo runs great. No unbolting and mailing or going to some shop. Very very good communication and service. this is just my opinion. O and I can flash back to stock any time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Softronic Software Criticism