997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Softronic Software Criticism

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2010 | 04:38 PM
|
BarrettG is infamous around these parts
Softronic Software Criticism

Can anybody play devil's advocate and give me a criticism to the Softronic software upgrade? Everything I have read seems to be positive and I was wondering if there is an opinion out there of a better software upgrade or more generally is there a downside to a software upgrade like Softronic (car running poorly, parts breaking due to increased Hp)? Lastly, my car is bone stock, except for a few minor cosmetic upgrades, with that being said, is there a proper order to doing performance upgrades as it relates to power. Ie: exhaust, software, etc...

TIA,
Barrett

Old 04-09-2010 | 05:33 PM
ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !
mmm its simple

aftermarket exhaust + headers + dvs + softronic tune = you will drive great car

am sure you will like it

Old 04-09-2010 | 05:51 PM
venkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond repute
Barrett

With Softronic tune + Exhaust, you will be close to 600hp at the crank.
I have nothing but positive things to say on the tune.
The ability to flash back to OEM is another great feature of the tune.

Scott can give you a custom tune specific to your car+mods.

Old 04-09-2010 | 06:03 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
A timely thread indeed. I'm very interested in the Softronic for the simple reason that the ECU doesn't have to be removed. Price is not outrageous either. Does anyone have direct experience with Softronic tune AND another tune (such as giac, evomsit etc...) for a comparison?

Old 04-09-2010 | 06:45 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
You can probably count the number of people who have tried more than one ECU flash on one hand and the number who have tried Softronic plus another is probably close to zero. In addition to Softronic, there are several very good companies that flash via OBDII port so I would recommend contacting each and start to develop a relationship. Don't just go by price but consider overall value and any long term goals.

Old 04-09-2010 | 08:12 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
I was thinking that perhaps someone with one tune has a buddy with a different tuner's ECU tune. Yeah, I agree it's doubtful that many have bought one then changed. In another thread someone had problems with a RUF tune and went with something else but that's not a common thing.

I haven't actually read about any other company that flashes via OBDII port WITHOUT requiring removal of the ECU first, do you know of any others?

Old 04-09-2010 | 08:20 PM
sam12345 is a splendid one to beholdsam12345 is a splendid one to beholdsam12345 is a splendid one to beholdsam12345 is a splendid one to beholdsam12345 is a splendid one to beholdsam12345 is a splendid one to beholdsam12345 is a splendid one to behold
the biggest plus of the softronic seems to be keeping the warranty, as they claim. i just find it hard to believe honestly

Old 04-09-2010 | 08:26 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by The Bogg
I was thinking that perhaps someone with one tune has a buddy with a different tuner's ECU tune. Yeah, I agree it's doubtful that many have bought one then changed. In another thread someone had problems with a RUF tune and went with something else but that's not a common thing.

I haven't actually read about any other company that flashes via OBDII port WITHOUT requiring removal of the ECU first, do you know of any others?
Actually there are several options for OBDII flash. Check out (alphabetically) FVD and Protomotive. Not sure if Switzer and TPC do OBDII flashes and I believe EVOMsit is working on one. I would personally try to make contact with each vendor and you might find that you connect better with one over the other. I would be happy to tell you about my experience with Protomotive. Just PM me.

Last edited by TTdude; 04-10-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old 04-09-2010 | 08:38 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sam12345
the biggest plus of the softronic seems to be keeping the warranty, as they claim. i just find it hard to believe honestly
There are no ECU flashes that can claim that it won't affect the factory warranty. It does not matter which ECU tune it is. They can all be detected by PCNA if they want to find it.

Old 04-09-2010 | 08:54 PM
batman46 is infamous around these parts
Unichip option

My situation is a bit unique as I prepare to add an ECU upgrade. A '99 Carrera can often have an 88 pin ECU, which was changed in the later production models of that year. Most software ECU upgrades will not plug in to a 88 pin harness. Softronic will sell their unit to me but it the software cable would need to be "hard-wired" into my ECU cable. Cost: $875 plus cost for approved installer to hardwire the software cable. Unichip sells their ECU "piggy-back" upgrade for $575 which comes pre-programmed based on the aftermarket upgrades that you tell them you have installed on the car. In my case: Agency-Power Mufflers, Evo Intake system, Maxspeed headers and High Flow Catbacks, Turbo muffler tails. ALL of the ECU people say that it is essential to add the ECU upgrade after opening up the stock system so much, even if you disconnect/connect your battery (supposed to reset your ECU when you do this.) According to them, the stock ECU unit will not reset properly for the AM additions without reprogramming help. I am eager to see how it performs after it is all in place and may have it dynoed after it is all done by my mechanic. Did this help, or just confuse you more??

Old 04-09-2010 | 09:01 PM
BCNeil is a splendid one to beholdBCNeil is a splendid one to beholdBCNeil is a splendid one to beholdBCNeil is a splendid one to beholdBCNeil is a splendid one to beholdBCNeil is a splendid one to beholdBCNeil is a splendid one to behold
It also depends where you live. I am up in Vancouver and the idea of being able to do everything myself is wonderful. The idea of sending my ecu across the border is a nightmare. I had some car parts held up in customs 5 weeks with my last car. Not stress I want to deal with again, especially on something as important as the ecu.

I am left to drive down to California, which isn't all bad.
Or find something I can do myself. I do also like some of the options with giac, the valet mode or race mode.

Powerwise I have heard positive reviews on pretty much everything.
People seemed jazzed no matter what they get.

Old 04-09-2010 | 09:35 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
If you are just doing a tune then the post w/ the alphabitical order is what I'd suggest as well. Call a few and talk to them about what they offer and their background/history is w/ tuning. Ask if they charge or give you free upgrades when and if you add a mod like exhaust? Do you get the ability to read and clear codes?
If your going to be adding mods w/ or after the tune then deffently talk to Neil Switzer and or Markski at 911tuning.
Just my .02$ worth. Good luck in you finding what you want.

Old 04-09-2010 | 11:36 PM
C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !
Other than the shipping internationally I don't see what the big deal is with removing your ecu. It's a easy diy and I wouldn't Exclude any company simply because of it. Also most companies do allow a 30 day trial period so why not give one a try and see what you think?

Old 04-10-2010 | 02:24 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Really easy to remove the ECU (takes like 10 minutes) and see here:
http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/techni...2-and-gt3.html

Old 04-10-2010 | 04:04 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
REVO is another option, each company offers different extras that might suit different customers needs.

For example EVOMS can add a switch to your ECU from where you can shift to racefuel and back without loosing sport mode button.

REVO offers same option but you have to connect to a laptop in orfder to shift to racefuel. (a bit more complicated) I think TPC uses REVO. (not sure)

I don't know about Softronic, what they do with the racefuel map. In my case i have bought a Softronic cable and do runs collecting data so my tuner will do a custom mapping for my car. I think this is the best option, the problem is that every time i use racefuel i have to pull the battery in order to reset and change to pump fuel, (this is something that i hate to do)

It you're just looking for a tune i think you cannot go wrong with Softronic or EVOMS

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Softronic Software Criticism