997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.2TT PDK Nurburgring Times?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 07:29 AM
cc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud of
The best thing Porsche can do right now is not post a time. It's best for them to just ignore the situation. It's the same as with forums. Why get in the debate? You can't win wars on opinions. Porsche should just keep building the turbo and people will keep buying it, and fights with time against a GTR are not relevant when comparing to a turbo. Now, comparing time to a GT2 or GT3 is a different story based on why each car was produced and to what market.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:25 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cc08gt2
The best thing Porsche can do right now is not post a time. It's best for them to just ignore the situation. It's the same as with forums. Why get in the debate? You can't win wars on opinions. Porsche should just keep building the turbo and people will keep buying it, and fights with time against a GTR are not relevant when comparing to a turbo. Now, comparing time to a GT2 or GT3 is a different story based on why each car was produced and to what market.
You took the words right out of my mouth. This is the point that the many casual observers are not aware of: Porsche is more than capable of making the PDK Turbo beat the GT-R at the track (Any doubt? 3 flat 0-60! ), but it doesn't want to since it's a. not the corporate philosophy for this particular car, b. the change would screw up the ride and character of the car.

ItalianStallion: the rumored time is 7:42 or so for 997.2 PDK, versus 7:52 for 997.1 manual. This would be 3 or 4 seconds faster or slower than the GTR, depending on whom you want to believe. But the point that cc08gt2 and I are talking about is this: a simple suspension and tire tune would make the Turbo faster than the GTR, easy (again, 3 flat 0-60 is the first clue), but then it will no longer be a daily driver. I've driven the PDK turbo, it's still very soft, like a daily driver should be, and nothing like GT2 or GT3. Horses for courses.

If anyone has any doubt about Porsche engineering prowess, instead of wasteful argument, I would just remind him to "look at the scoreboard".

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Am...Season_results

GT2 standings<TABLE class=wikitable style="FONT-SIZE: 90%"><TBODY><TR><TH>Pos</TH><TH>Team</TH><TH>Chassis</TH><TH>Engine</TH><TH>Rd 1</TH><TH>Rd 2</TH><TH>Rd 3</TH><TH>Rd 4</TH><TH>Rd 5</TH><TH>Rd 6</TH><TH>Rd 7</TH><TH>Rd 8</TH><TH>Rd 9</TH><TH>Rd 10</TH><TH>Total</TH></TR><TR><TH>1</TH><TD>Flying Lizard Motorsports</TD><TD>Porsche 997 GT3-RSR</TD><TD>Porsche 4.0 L Flat-6</TD><TD align=middle>20</TD><TD align=middle>20</TD><TD align=middle>20</TD><TD align=middle>20</TD><TD align=middle>20</TD><TD align=middle>20</TD><TD align=middle>10</TD><TD align=middle>8</TD><TD align=middle>18</TD><TD align=middle>25</TD><TD align=middle>181</TD></TR><TR><TH>2</TH><TD>Risi Competizione</TD><TD>Ferrari F430GT</TD><TD>Ferrari 4.0 L V8</TD><TD align=middle>30</TD><TD align=middle>0</TD><TD align=middle>16</TD><TD align=middle>13</TD><TD align=middle>16</TD><TD align=middle>8</TD><TD align=middle>8</TD><TD align=middle>16</TD><TD align=middle>30</TD><TD align=middle>0</TD><TD align=middle>137</TD></TR><TR><TH>3</TH><TD>BMWRahal Letterman Racing</TD><TD>BMW M3 GT2</TD><TD>BMW 4.0 L V8</TD><TD align=middle>0</TD><TD align=middle>16</TD><TD align=middle>13</TD><TD align=middle>4</TD><TD align=middle>13</TD><TD align=middle>13</TD><TD align=middle>20</TD><TD align=middle>2</TD><TD align=middle>26</TD><TD align=middle>11</TD><TD align=middle>118</TD></TR><TR><TH>4</TH><TD>Farnbacher-Loles Racing</TD><TD>Porsche 997 GT3-RSR</TD><TD>Porsche 4.0 L Flat-6</TD><TD align=middle>13</TD><TD align=middle>4</TD><TD align=middle>1</TD><TD align=middle>16</TD><TD align=middle>10</TD><TD align=middle>6</TD><TD align=middle>1</TD><TD align=middle>10</TD><TD align=middle>23</TD><TD align=middle>18</TD><TD align=middle>102</TD></TR><TR><TH>5</TH><TD>Panoz Team PTG</TD><TD>Panoz Esperante GT-LM</TD><TD>Ford 5.0 L V8</TD><TD align=middle>23</TD><TD align=middle>13</TD><TD align=middle>6</TD><TD align=middle>10</TD><TD align=middle>6</TD><TD align=middle>4</TD><TD align=middle>0</TD><TD align=middle>6</TD><TD align=middle>12</TD><TD align=middle>15</TD><TD align=middle>95</TD></TR><TR><TH>6</TH><TD>Corvette Racing</TD><TD>Chevrolet Corvette C6.R</TD><TD>Chevrolet LS7.R 6.0 L V8</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD align=middle>16</TD><TD align=middle>13</TD><TD align=middle>20</TD><TD align=middle>20</TD><TD align=middle>21</TD><TD align=middle>90</TD></TR><TR><TH>7</TH><TD>Robertson Racing</TD><TD>Ford GT-R Mk. VII</TD><TD>Ford 5.0 L V8</TD><TD align=middle>14</TD><TD align=middle>6</TD><TD align=middle>2</TD><TD align=middle>1</TD><TD align=middle>2</TD><TD align=middle>1</TD><TD align=middle>4</TD><TD align=middle>1</TD><TD align=middle>11</TD><TD align=middle>0</TD><TD align=middle>42</TD></TR><TR><TH>8</TH><TD>Primetime Race Group</TD><TD>Dodge Viper Comp. Coupe</TD><TD>Dodge 8.3 L V10</TD><TD align=middle>0</TD><TD align=middle>0</TD><TD align=middle>4</TD><TD align=middle>2</TD><TD align=middle>3</TD><TD></TD><TD align=middle>2</TD><TD align=middle>3</TD><TD align=middle>0</TD><TD></TD><TD align=middle>14</TD></TR><TR><TH>9</TH><TD>Team Falken Tire</TD><TD>Porsche 997 GT3-RSR</TD><TD>Porsche 4.0 L Flat-6</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD align=middle>0</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD align=middle>0</TD><TD align=middle>8</TD><TD align=middle>8</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited by cannga; 04-13-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:29 AM
cc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud of
^Yeah! What he said^

Old 04-13-2010, 10:52 AM
911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about
Unless you modify any Porsche turbo, they do not make great track cars. You are comparing "apples to oranges" by suggesting that an RSR is similar to a 997.2 turbo.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:25 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cc08gt2
I agree which is why Porsche left that vague lap time quote of 10 seconds faster than the previous Turbo because no one really knows what time they are talking about, the 7:42, 7:38, 7:48 or what??? 10 seconds faster than what!!!!!!

They are determined to keep the Turbo slower than the GT3 around a circuit. I still have not noticed a 997.2 Turbo tested on MPSC whereas you could barely find a 997.1 Turbo tested without them.

Maybe they are saving the MPSC for the Turbo S which will set nearly everything ablaze. That car is going to be so fast it's rediculous.

I would bet a 997.2 Turbo runs a mid 7:30's superlap test on those regular tires it's running, and easily low 7:30's with MPSC. Maybe we see horst run a 7:2x in the 997.2 Turbo S. But at that point the car to watch for is the 997 GT2 RS and 997.2 GT3 RS.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:41 AM
ItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant future
Thanks for posting up your oppinions. I was also thinking that maybe Porsche just wanted to step out of the Nurburgring arena...even though they tested and boasted about their Panamera Turbo being the fastest sedan and their hybrid Spyder exotic posting very quick times. I guess they find that the 997.2TT is a masterpiece and any mention of track times and such will just cause a debate which will not end in Porsche's favor.

I love the way the 997.2 Turbo rides and I wouldn't ever change the suspension because I need it to be soft on these treacherous NY roads. I drove a GTR and to me, it wasn't a daily driver. Too high strung and the suspension was too stiff for my roads. But this wasn't a Porsche vs Nissan thread. Just wondering if the new Porsche was ran yet.

Again, consensus is that either Porsche feels theres no point giving Nurburgring lap times OR they are saving the times for the Turbo S (which should be similiar to a non-S 997.2TT since the rumored Turbo S will just be a regular Turbo but in overboost all the time?).

Old 04-13-2010, 11:51 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
Thanks for posting up your oppinions. I was also thinking that maybe Porsche just wanted to step out of the Nurburgring arena....

I love the way the 997.2 Turbo rides and I wouldn't ever change the suspension because I need it to be soft on these treacherous NY roads. I drove a GTR and to me, it wasn't a daily driver. Too high strung and the suspension was too stiff for my roads. But this wasn't a Porsche vs Nissan thread. Just wondering if the new Porsche was ran yet.
This is ***E-X-A-C-T-L-Y*** what I've been talking about.

About N'ring time: I think it's still very much an important parameter! I have no doubt Porsche will still use it as a measurement standard -- but readers have to be aware of the implication of the result. It matters much less for a daily driver (even so, remember 997.1 Turbo's 7:52 is the fastest time for a manual gear 2+2, still!!), much more for a GT2 for example. It's really unfortunate that some companies use it, in a quite dishonest way (7:29 ring time for a 3800 lbs car is what I am talking about) in fact, to hang on to the Porsche coat tail and lure customers.

Last edited by cannga; 04-13-2010 at 06:05 PM.