997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Cup tire question pls: Pirelli vs. Michelin -- which one has softer ride?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 11:27 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Cup tire question pls: Pirelli vs. Michelin -- which one has softer ride?

After all the "talk," think I'd better try the tires myself. For the summer I plan to install either Pirelli Corso or Michelin Cup. Questions please:

1. For those who have had both Pirelli and Michelin: which one has the softer ride? And which one is more quiet?
2. What pressures do you run front and rear for street driving? Is it at a range that will trigger a TPMS low pressure alarm? If so, what do you do to turn it off?
3. I've read repeated comments that Pirelli is better in the wet than Michelin. True? (I do plan to switch to the regular street tire after the summer, when it starts raining here in Southern Cal.)
4. Any difference between Michelin NO and N1?

Car is primarily street use, with weekend drives in canyon roads at a little higher speed. Any advice would be welcome (Not the type the says "don't use it" though. LOL) & thanks in advance.

Last edited by cannga; 04-13-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:34 AM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
Go for pirreli softer and better ....

Old 04-13-2010, 12:24 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Can I have run 2 sets of N0 Cups and they really don't feel much different than the PS2's save for more tramlining. I am going to switch to Corsas next.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:13 PM
NeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond repute
I love the Michelin PSCs...no complaints at all. I know Alex(Sharky) also likes the Corsas. Can't go wrong with either. But if you're not going to track the car, I suggest to spend the money on other stuff. These tires are not exactly cheap, you know.

By design, the Cups have stiffer sidewalls and have more of a square stance vs PS2s....just fyi.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:27 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
keep in mind also that the Pilot Cups have no rim lip protection whereas the Corsas do.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:04 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eclou
Can I have run 2 sets of N0 Cups and they really don't feel much different than the PS2's save for more tramlining. I am going to switch to Corsas next.
Thanks guys. Neil, no tracking. Only canyon road drives on weekends, during the dry months in Southern Cal.

eclou, why are you switching to Pirelli please? TIA.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:08 PM
^^ I got a deal on some new factory take offs.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:13 PM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
Go Michelin Cup

Old 04-13-2010, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by eclou
^^ I got a deal on some new factory take offs.
LOL. I was expecting a more complicated answer! Thanks for the chuckle.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:50 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
I run PS2's on the street and RE-11's for track use but I may switch to RE-11's for all around use. Driving them out to the track they seem to really perform well, are fairly quiet, and ride really nice.

They MAY not be quite as good as the others, but at half the price for MSC's or Corsa's they are well worth the price.

Just saying...

Old 04-13-2010, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by ruf_turbo
I run PS2's on the street and RE-11's for track use but I may switch to RE-11's for all around use. Driving them out to the track they seem to really perform well, are fairly quiet, and ride really nice.

They MAY not be quite as good as the others, but at half the price for MSC's or Corsa's they are well worth the price.

Just saying...
Thanks. I was quite excited with your recommendation. Until I looked up the weights. That's a lot of extra weight to carry. Did I look up the wrong tire or something?

Michelin Cup: front 20 rear 27
Pirelli Corsa: front 21 rear 26
Bridgestone Potenza RE-11: front 27 rear 32
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...=58154&tab=All

Last edited by cannga; 04-13-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:12 PM
freeman is infamous around these parts
What is the best tire pressure front and rear for track use with MPSC N0?

I have cups n0 for track use right now,but i will try the new pirelli trofeo once they are available.

RE11s seems to be the best tires for the money,however,they are a lot heavier than cups,which is not ideal for light weight track rim/tire combo. The dry traction is close to cups,but still not there yet.

Nevertheless, RE11s are excellent tires for weekend drives in canyon roads! Better than PS2s on street,but not quite as good as cups on track.

Last edited by freeman; 04-13-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:17 PM
Rufesq is infamous around these parts
Here's a link to Michelin's document on PSC tire pressure (and other PSC topics):

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...nd_Feeding.pdf

I've had one tech tell me that his company ran all their PSCs at 38 hot (track). I think the above document says to run at 34/36 hot and that cold should be around 6 psi less. Keep in mind that you'll heat your tires far more on the track than you ever will on the street. My notes on the topic for street for my Rt12 were to have cold at 30/31.

I've never loved the PSC and will probably try the Corsa's, if I can find them (hmm, for the first time since I've been checking, TireRack shows them as in stock).

Old 04-13-2010, 08:06 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
The cups will tend to get loud after some miles, great street track tire IMO. I have the RE11 for daily use, they are heavier but the price is right. That said I'll switch back to cups next time around.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:01 PM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
2. What pressures do you run front and rear for street driving? Is it at a range that will trigger a TPMS low pressure alarm? If so, what do you do to turn it off?
TPMS needs dealer ECU setting to be switched off.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cup tire question pls: Pirelli vs. Michelin -- which one has softer ride?