997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Paint Protection Film Gone Wrong - 997 Turbo Cab

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 03:12 PM
maverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to all
How difficult is it to remove the old film? Any special release agents requried?
Thanks

Old 04-25-2010, 10:22 AM
doug2255 has a spectacular aura aboutdoug2255 has a spectacular aura about
Finding a competent installer is definitely the key!

Originally Posted by BarrettG
I just had my car done by Autoarmor Clear Protective Films in Columbia, MD. I have used other vendors with different products and his is hands down the BEST! I would post pics but honestly you can't see the film. I don't remember the exact product but it is a 3M product and it is the film that covers the entire hood, not just a third. Bottom line, if you live in the Baltimore, MD area, check this guy out, he does fantastic work!
Cliff (Auto Armor) did my install a few months ago -He is definitely a competent installer!!

Old 04-25-2010, 01:55 PM
DBV
DBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud of
Wow, that I can't believe how bad the initial film application was. It's even worse considering it was a pre-cut kit! There shouldn't even be any razor involved! Regardless, you guys did a fantastic job with the new film.

BTW: You have something under your fingernail...

Old 04-25-2010, 10:56 PM
Basic Sponsor
Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gtKnight
Those close up pics are great examples of why it's important to find a good installer. The before and after pics are night and day. Premier is the best IMO. I've had numerous cars done by them and all have been flawless. I just hope the owner of that car was able to get his money back if he had paid at all.
Yes, thank you. I believe he did get a refund on the initial application from the other company.

Sharing our Passion on Youtube: https://urlgeni.us/youtube/Premier

Facebook: https://urlgeni.us/facebook/Premier

42630 Christy St, Fremont, CA. 510-623-1308 sales@premiermobilegroup.com
Old 04-26-2010, 02:37 PM
TXLonghorn911 has a spectacular aura aboutTXLonghorn911 has a spectacular aura aboutTXLonghorn911 has a spectacular aura about
What type of film did you use on that 997TT?

Also, any chance you'll be opening up a TX branch soon ?

Old 04-26-2010, 05:28 PM
Killer911 is infamous around these partsKiller911 is infamous around these partsKiller911 is infamous around these partsKiller911 is infamous around these partsKiller911 is infamous around these partsKiller911 is infamous around these partsKiller911 is infamous around these parts
i am not even sure why people apply film to their cars:

first, it's way too damn expensive!
second, you can get it painted brand new for almost the same price or less.
third, the film will eventually turn old and yellow,
and fourth, it's ugly!

Old 04-26-2010, 06:00 PM
FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !
~ Its all relative, for some possibly but if your dropping $150k+ for a vehicle that you plan to keep for a while $5k is cheap insurance

~ In my opinion, an outstanding quality paint job done by professionals will cost $10k+. Not to mention the resale on you car will take a hit for an average repaint.

and fourth, it's ugly!
~ In my opinion, if done right you cannot notice it is there at all. As for the yellowing your installer chose to use the wrong film.

Originally Posted by Killer911
i am not even sure why people apply film to their cars:

and fourth, it's ugly!

Last edited by cjv; 04-28-2010 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Edited in red to eliminate somewhat offensive language
Old 04-27-2010, 07:11 AM
ERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to behold
Rear fender cover 2008 997 TT

The factory clear cover on my rear fender is starting to look dirty around the edges. Do you have a replacement for this?

PM me with a quote.

Thanks

Old 04-27-2010, 09:30 AM
Basic Sponsor
Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ERSKATEDOC
The factory clear cover on my rear fender is starting to look dirty around the edges. Do you have a replacement for this?

PM me with a quote.

Thanks
We certainly do. Since you are in Southern California, please contact us by phone 714-628-0100. Thank you.

Sharing our Passion on Youtube: https://urlgeni.us/youtube/Premier

Facebook: https://urlgeni.us/facebook/Premier

42630 Christy St, Fremont, CA. 510-623-1308 sales@premiermobilegroup.com
Old 04-27-2010, 10:43 AM
carfan has a spectacular aura aboutcarfan has a spectacular aura aboutcarfan has a spectacular aura about
Night and day difference !

Old 04-27-2010, 11:03 AM
DLJ
DLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to behold
Wow, that original job was definitely ugly. Not to mention hacking up the paint. What a nightmare. The series of pics showing the replacement product by your shop looks impeccable. Thanks for posting.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:10 PM
Killer911 is infamous around these partsKiller911 is infamous around these partsKiller911 is infamous around these partsKiller911 is infamous around these partsKiller911 is infamous around these partsKiller911 is infamous around these partsKiller911 is infamous around these parts
i can see that you are really trying to rationalize your purchase of a clear bra.

5k really? ouch!

any high end repair shop will tell you that getting film is a complete waste of money. the only portion that you might ever need would be the bumper and maybe half the hood.

10k for a paint job? wow!

Originally Posted by TestJet
~ Its all relative, for some possibly but if your dropping $150k+ for a vehicle that you plan to keep for a while $5k is cheap insurance

~ Not even close, an outstanding quality paint job done by professionals will cost $10k+. Not to mention the resale on you car will take a hit for an average repaint.

and fourth, it's ugly!
~ Ignorant comment, if done right you cannot notice it is there at all. As for the yellowing your installer chose to use the wrong film.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 04-27-2010 at 01:58 PM. Reason: not the place to sell even if a joke
Old 04-27-2010, 12:59 PM
Rxxxdruggist is a jewel in the roughRxxxdruggist is a jewel in the roughRxxxdruggist is a jewel in the rough
ouch...glad he is getting it fixed

Old 04-28-2010, 09:39 AM
JimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Killer911
i can see that you are really trying to rationalize your purchase of a clear bra.

5k really? ouch!

any high end repair shop will tell you that getting film is a complete waste of money. the only portion that you might ever need would be the bumper and maybe half the hood.

10k for a paint job? wow!
Actually 10k for a paint job is not out of the norm. We have various hundreds of body shops in our network (I work for an insurance carrier's claims division) and the higher end shops charge $10k-$15k to respray an entire car. The trend that we've noticed is the lower the jobber price, the higher the customer dissatisfaction when we contact the customer for a follow up.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:23 AM
that's exactly the point!!!

when would you ever need to respray the entire car?

would you put film on the entire car as well? i don't think so!

you only need the bumper and half of the front hood...

if you are paying 5k to get your car covered... then you are throwing money out the window.

thanks for the negative rep Premier Films!

by the way, someone edited my previous post. is it "1984" in here?

Last edited by Killer911; 04-28-2010 at 10:31 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Paint Protection Film Gone Wrong - 997 Turbo Cab