997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Paint Protection Film Gone Wrong - 997 Turbo Cab

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 06:41 PM
nberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to behold
I really see no reason to dump on a vendor who is giving us a warning about poor quality workmanship. If you are not a believer in clear bra; fine. The tread has nothing to do with whether you should clear bra or not.

I am familiar with Sam's work and it is outstanding. Personally, I have not used him only because when I buy a car I usually work a deal out with the dealer to have it installed by a local reputable clear bra dealer. Any problems, my dealer becomes involved.

My 430 Spider and recently my 997.2 PDK Turbo Cab. were done that way.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:15 PM
Basic Sponsor
Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by maverick997
How difficult is it to remove the old film? Any special release agents requried?
Thanks
Not difficult to remove, just takes some time in pulling the film off. And no residual effect to OEM paint.

Sharing our Passion on Youtube: https://urlgeni.us/youtube/Premier

Facebook: https://urlgeni.us/facebook/Premier

42630 Christy St, Fremont, CA. 510-623-1308 sales@premiermobilegroup.com
Old 04-30-2010, 05:17 PM
Basic Sponsor
Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nberry
I really see no reason to dump on a vendor who is giving us a warning about poor quality workmanship. If you are not a believer in clear bra; fine. The tread has nothing to do with whether you should clear bra or not.

I am familiar with Sam's work and it is outstanding. Personally, I have not used him only because when I buy a car I usually work a deal out with the dealer to have it installed by a local reputable clear bra dealer. Any problems, my dealer becomes involved.

My 430 Spider and recently my 997.2 PDK Turbo Cab. were done that way.

Thank you very much. It means much for us coming from someone who has never even used our services / products.

Sharing our Passion on Youtube: https://urlgeni.us/youtube/Premier

Facebook: https://urlgeni.us/facebook/Premier

42630 Christy St, Fremont, CA. 510-623-1308 sales@premiermobilegroup.com
Old 05-22-2010, 01:33 PM
SonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Killer911
i am not even sure why people apply film to their cars:

first, it's way too damn expensive!
second, you can get it painted brand new for almost the same price or less.
third, the film will eventually turn old and yellow,
and fourth, it's ugly!
Killer,

Obviously you have not driven on Jersey or Montana roads... I would never bring a car uphere unless has the Clear bra installed. Is it expensive? Well, depends on who does the job. Can it turn yellow? You get what you pay for... Is it ugly? Why should it be ugly when it's almost invisible. The 3M bra on my ex Aston was visible from a very low angle and it saved the front of the vehicle more than a dozen times. Just my .02 cents.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:25 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
i am not even sure why people apply film to their cars:

first, it's way too damn expensive!
second, you can get it painted brand new for almost the same price or less.
third, the film will eventually turn old and yellow,
and fourth, it's ugly!
Because we don't want our front ends to be full of rock chips.

A good quality clear bra is the first thing a wise owner does. Some even have them delivered to the installer.

Only the older low tech films yellowed. Done properly, you can't even see it from more than 5 feet away.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:45 PM
Killer911 is infamous around these partsKiller911 is infamous around these partsKiller911 is infamous around these partsKiller911 is infamous around these partsKiller911 is infamous around these partsKiller911 is infamous around these partsKiller911 is infamous around these parts
In my opinion getting a clear bra is just really a waste of money...

drive the car, enjoy it for a few years, and then if you get a few rock chips, just repaint the front bumper.

people get carried away wrapping their cars because it provides them some peace of mind albeit at a highly inflated price.

the point is you won't get rock chips on your side view mirrors or some other random place on your car.

if and only if you have a high end car, i.e., newer ferrari, lamborghini, bentley, rolls royce, or some other luxury car where the cost of the paint job is more expensive and more difficult to match, then by all means get the clear bra.

if you are going to wrap, then do the front bumper and part of the hood. that's it.

but when you have an early model 2002 GT2 like Dr. Jitsu, why bother?

Last edited by cjv; 05-23-2010 at 06:52 PM. Reason: "bold" clarifies opinion not fact
Old 05-22-2010, 09:07 PM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
Yeah.
While we're at it, why should Jitsu even bother with locking the car or parking it in a locked garage?
Just park it out on the street unlocked...
Better still, why should he even bother with insurance?
Just drive it and take your chances...
After all, it's only a 2002 GT2!!!

Killer911, the value people attach to their possessions is relative to them. If someone wants to spend some money to get even perceived peace of mind, so be it, let alone actual beneficial protection!

A frontal clear bra here costs around $750/-. Guaranteed you'll easily pay at least twice that for a front bumper and hood paint job, no matter what value your car has or how old it is.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:59 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
getting a clear bra is just really a waste of money...

drive the car, enjoy it for a few years, and then if you get a few rock chips, just repaint the front bumper.

people get carried away wrapping their cars because it provides them some peace of mind albeit at a highly inflated price.

the point is you won't get rock chips on your side view mirrors or some other random place on your car.

if and only if you have a high end car, i.e., newer ferrari, lamborghini, bentley, rolls royce, or some other luxury car where the cost of the paint job is more expensive and more difficult to match, then by all means get the clear bra.

if you are going to wrap, then do the front bumper and part of the hood. that's it.

This is not a personal attack, it is an honest medical inquiry:

Did the doc who delivered you drop you on your head at birth, or were you already mentally challenged? I ask because I have never heard a GT2 regarded as a car that does not deserve care.

Paint work will drop a GT2's value by $10 k easily, btw.

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 05-22-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:13 PM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
getting a clear bra is just really a waste of money...

Wow Killer, relax... first of all, many on here track their cars, a clear bra will save you lots of money in the long run because 1 day at the track could ruin your front bumper, hood, yes, even side mirrors... so as you can see, it would make sense for those guys because how often will they have to respray?? It's so easy to chip a bumper, but in many instances, with a clear bra, you won't have any damage at all. In regards to your insult to a 2002 GT2, that is still a dream car of mine and to many on this forum. I'm sure you're fully aware that a 2002 GT2 that is over 8 years old runs circles around 99% of sports cars today, not to mention its a rare specimen... if I owned one, the whole car would be wrapped.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:40 PM
SonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of light
Can't wait for his comment

Old 05-23-2010, 09:31 AM
Killer911 is infamous around these partsKiller911 is infamous around these partsKiller911 is infamous around these partsKiller911 is infamous around these partsKiller911 is infamous around these partsKiller911 is infamous around these partsKiller911 is infamous around these parts
In my opinion your GT2 isn't worth much at this point: it's a ten year old car.

what's it worth now $60k?
further, it's been highly modified ( in my opinion another hit on the open market).

wrap or respray: In my opinion it won't make a difference on the value of your car!

fyi: medical inquiry or not (i have no bumps on my head and i went to grad school with a professional degree). thanks for the inquiry though and no offense taken!

i hope you take no offense as well! :-)

sonickrack: thanks for wanting me to comment :-)

Last edited by cjv; 05-23-2010 at 06:47 PM. Reason: To bring the post on par to professional standards (in bold) and remove inciting language
Old 05-23-2010, 10:39 AM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
LOL, "only" a $60k car...

You're right, time to ship it off to a junk yard!

Old 05-23-2010, 10:50 AM
your GT2 isn't worth much at this point: it's a ten year old car that you probably bought used.

what's it worth now $60k? if that.

further, it's been highly modified (another hit on the open market).

wrap or respray: it won't make a difference on the value of your car!

fyi: medical inquiry or not (i have no bumps on my head and i went to grad school with a professional degree). thanks for the inquiry though and no offense taken!

i hope you take no offense as well! :-)

sonickrack: thanks for wanting me to comment :-)
The 996 GT2 was the last real drivers car made....it has the Metzger engine which you probably know nothing about. I am not even going to try and correct your ********, I will just write it off to the *** ****** type experience that you apparently had on the ***** ****** of ***** ********.

Last edited by cjv; 05-23-2010 at 06:50 PM. Reason: ********* to remove insulting language
Old 05-23-2010, 11:02 AM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
Jitzu, Killer...get it back on topic and knock off the personal stuff