997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Tiptronic upgrade the movie :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 03:10 AM
Tiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to behold
Oil coolers (engine, gearbox, transmission) is such a old school mod, that i bet that you can make your own for 500€ with the same efficiency that those high price kits.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:22 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Tiago
Oil coolers (engine, gearbox, transmission) is such a old school mod, that i bet that you can make your own for 500€ with the same efficiency that those high price kits.
Tiago,

Its not that miple a guess, the kit includes electric transmition oil pump with thermostatic control system, oil cooler and oil cables, thermostat switch,wiring loom, and alloy bushings

Old 04-29-2010, 09:54 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Cargraphic oil cooler is for MT

Old 04-29-2010, 10:15 AM
ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !
good news man ..

Old 04-30-2010, 05:27 AM
Tiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by milou
Tiago,

Its not that miple a guess, the kit includes electric transmition oil pump with thermostatic control system, oil cooler and oil cables, thermostat switch,wiring loom, and alloy bushings
In the end, from the most elaborated to the basic kit, all will do the same job. A year ago i was almost to make a custom kit for the SMGII of my M3. The cooler, oil pump and thermostat would be from Mocal and the lines made by the installer.

As you showed a pic of the torque converter, did you ever thought change it for a race spec?

Last edited by Tiago; 04-30-2010 at 05:30 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:33 AM
ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !
In the end, from the most elaborated to the basic kit, all will do the same job. A year ago i was almost to make a custom kit for the SMGII of my M3. The cooler, oil pump and thermostat would be from Mocal and the lines made by the installer.

As you showed a pic of the torque converter, did you ever thought change it for a race spec?
am planing to mako a custom cooler for the gearbox

Old 04-30-2010, 05:48 AM
996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute
Guys,

I have a 996tt tiptronic. I sent the gearbox to MKB for the upgrade including the TCU upgrade for tq limit to 1300nm.

I have an upgraded Torque Converter.

I do not have the upgraded TCU other than what MKB done.

Running full proto kit with k24/20gs.

Ran at 1.4bar today hard for 100 miles.

Gearbox is perfect, and we check twice the ATF temperature by pulling over. It was perfect. Remember the MB box already has an oil cooler.

I do have an aftermarket one, but have not fitted it. At the moment I do not see the point.

I know the MKB is not cheap and it is in germany, but it works. My previous gearbox would not hold 1bar without slipping and then that overheated the gearbox oil which compounded the problem.

I spoke with Max in Bahrain who had the same upgrade done to his tip. He had been running 1.4bar as well without any issues, but had the same problems as me before the upgrade.

The gear change is quick and it is not hard. It is like driving an Audi DSG.

I will update in a few more weeks once I put on more miles. Currently at 250 miles of hard constant testing with no Tiptronic DME fault codes.

I have no affliation with MKB. Just passing on that it worked and that is the important point.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:18 AM
Originally Posted by 996ttalot
Guys,

I have a 996tt tiptronic. I sent the gearbox to MKB for the upgrade including the TCU upgrade for tq limit to 1300nm.

I have an upgraded Torque Converter.

I do not have the upgraded TCU other than what MKB done.

Running full proto kit with k24/20gs.

Ran at 1.4bar today hard for 100 miles.

Gearbox is perfect, and we check twice the ATF temperature by pulling over. It was perfect. Remember the MB box already has an oil cooler.

I do have an aftermarket one, but have not fitted it. At the moment I do not see the point.

I know the MKB is not cheap and it is in germany, but it works. My previous gearbox would not hold 1bar without slipping and then that overheated the gearbox oil which compounded the problem.

I spoke with Max in Bahrain who had the same upgrade done to his tip. He had been running 1.4bar as well without any issues, but had the same problems as me before the upgrade.

The gear change is quick and it is not hard. It is like driving an Audi DSG.

I will update in a few more weeks once I put on more miles. Currently at 250 miles of hard constant testing with no Tiptronic DME fault codes.

I have no affliation with MKB. Just passing on that it worked and that is the important point.
Great info, rep point to you

I'm very interested on the cooler, who makes it?

Old 04-30-2010, 06:20 AM

Tiago,

changing the TC will not solve anything, i believe it will make the car more violent and imidiate which for me will be less reliable as a dd drive

Old 04-30-2010, 08:17 AM
996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute
Great info, rep point to you

I'm very interested on the cooler, who makes it?
It is a Mocal oil to air cooler, 194mm/25 row x 115mm , heavy duty, with 1/2" hose connectors.

The original one we had was too large, but the above is fine.

Cost is around 200 EUR or less.

http://www.thinkauto.com/plist010106gweb.pdf (15mb)

Last edited by 996ttalot; 04-30-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:24 AM
It is a Mocal oil to air cooler, 194mm/25 row x 115mm , heavy duty, with 1/2" hose connectors.

unfortunatlly the link does not work for me

Old 04-30-2010, 11:52 AM

996ttalot,

i checked their web side thx for posting, i've been looking for a tiptronic oil cooler long time now.

I know tiptronics have a water/oil cooler, this one is a oil to air cooler which might affect the oil pressure, i have my tiptronic removed so it would be a great opportunity for me to install it now.

I guess you have to connect it on the tip somehow and add extra oil to fill the extra tubes and cooler, pressure might not be affected, it will only make the oil go aroun.

Another thing is that it might drop oil temp below normal levels at normal driving, especially on winter.

Have you tried it ?
Do you have any pics?

Old 04-30-2010, 04:06 PM
996ttalot,

i checked their web side thx for posting, i've been looking for a tiptronic oil cooler long time now.

I know tiptronics have a water/oil cooler, this one is a oil to air cooler which might affect the oil pressure, i have my tiptronic removed so it would be a great opportunity for me to install it now.

I guess you have to connect it on the tip somehow and add extra oil to fill the extra tubes and cooler, pressure might not be affected, it will only make the oil go aroun.

Another thing is that it might drop oil temp below normal levels at normal driving, especially on winter.

Have you tried it ?
Do you have any pics?
I give you the answer on Tuesday. The reason being that we brought a different one to start off with, and was planning to install it when we put the MKB transmission back this week. However we could not fit it anywhere - it was too big and I have no space in the I/C area either (full blow thru proto kit).

So my indy done some research and found the above. You can fit it with the transmission in - that is the good news. It is on order now and we wait delivery.

I will ask the questions you posed and come back to you.

What I can say is that the ATF fluid temp after 30 minutes hard driving at 1.4 bar on k24/20s was within range. But I did no brake boosting and to be fair i don't plan to after spending 5k EUR on the upgrade and install.

Ken

Old 05-03-2010, 06:16 AM
This is from the "Think Automotive" catalog:

Fitting an automatic transmission cooler.
Most mod ern au to matic trans mis sions tap into the re turn from
torque con verter to sump, where very lit tle pres sure ex ists, to ob tain
a full flow of oil through an oil cooler tube in the wa ter ra di a tor, a sec -
ond ary cooler may be con nected in se ries by in ter rupt ing this flow
cut ting one of the oil pipes lead ing to the wa ter ra di a tor and se cur -
ing hoses to the sev ered ends us ing hose mend ers . Where wa ter
over heat ing is a prob lem in ar du ous con di tions or where the pri mary
cooler has failed the wa ter ra di a tor may be by passed by con nect ing
di rectly to the Mocal cooler by cut ting both hoses, the hoses to the
pri mary cooler may be taped up to avoid the in gress of dirt if the sys -
tem is to be re in stated. Old Borg Warner gear boxes are pro vided
with means of tap ping the oil flow ei ther by a loop pipe or two plugs
on the right hand side of the gear box just above the sump. Renault
gear boxes have two plugs ad ja cent to the left hand drive shaft. Only
ZF boxes with an ex ist ing cooler can have ad di tional cool ing.
Cooling gearboxes and steering pumps

Old 05-03-2010, 07:13 AM
great info keep posting guys
thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic upgrade the movie :)