997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Tiptronic upgrade the movie :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 10:47 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Tiptronic upgrade the movie :)

Today i went to the Porsche garage and pulled the engine, tomorrow morning i'm sending the tiptronic to MKB, i'll post some pics later and i'll keep you informed.

I'm thinking of getting an after market torque converter but don't know who makes one, did anyone ever changed it. It took my mechanic 1 minute to remove the torque converter after we pulled the tiptronic so its a great opportunity for me to change it, the question is do i need it?

Old 04-22-2010, 12:22 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
If the 996 TIP takes the same torque converter as the 997 then give Todd of ViVid Racing a PM. He had the perfect TC for you. I am not sure if it is still for sell but it was a steal.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:05 PM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Hogapalooza
If the 996 TIP takes the same torque converter as the 997 then give Todd of ViVid Racing a PM. He had the perfect TC for you. I am not sure if it is still for sell but it was a steal.

thx Hogapalooza, i'll try and contact him

Old 04-22-2010, 06:06 PM
ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !
good news bro ...

hope you get what you want ...

what you will do about the tranny cooler ??

Old 04-22-2010, 11:33 PM
I'm in a search of a cooler also, MKB does not offer one but they say its a great thing to do

Old 04-24-2010, 06:21 AM
ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !
yes ,, i think am goin to make custom cooler ;S

Old 04-28-2010, 12:30 AM
As i said before i would add pics of all the procedure, so here are some pics of my engine, the torque converter and the tiptronic gearbox.

According to MKB torque converter is made to handle 1200nm/tq with no problems

Attached Images      
Old 04-28-2010, 12:34 AM
What supprised me was how thin the "flywheel" (if i can call it like that) is.

I took a closer picture of it for you to see how thin metal is, i was wondering how can it handle the power.

Attached Images     
Old 04-28-2010, 12:35 AM
Sorry for the poor phone pictures

Old 04-28-2010, 12:51 AM
Yesyerday i contacted 9FF Cyprus which was much much easier to access compared to the Germans, anyway i was asking for a Tiptronic cooler and i think they have one.

I'll post information and pictures soon.

Speaking with the 9FF guy i got some valuable information. He told me that Tiptronics are made to rev upto 6,700rpm maximum. A lot of people with modded cars have some problems with shifting so they modify their TCU to make shifts on 7000rpm, (which is what i did). As he said thisi is the main reason why the tiptronic burns the oil and starts sliping.
Then i asked him, what do you do to the tiptronics and he said that they add discs, change valve, etc. Same as MKB does. Then they do the TCU and add an oil-cooler with different than stock oil wich can take more heat.

So the conclution was, if you modify a tip car then you'll have shifting problems so to prevent them you'll have to do the TCU upgrade. Doing the TCU upgrade will burn the oil and the tip will start sliping so then you must upgrade the tip. After that the best you can do is to add an oil cooler just to be sure that the oil temp will stay at normal levels.

When i first contacted MKB asking for the upgrade i found that their package included TCU upgrade, i then ask them to remove that from the offer because i had it done, the man was supprised that i had the TCU without uprading the tiptronic!

Old 04-28-2010, 01:17 AM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
gr8 write up thanks for sharing

Old 04-28-2010, 03:45 AM
Banned
Shotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud of
I wonder if highly modded mercedes benz w/MKB upgrade tranny also use oil cooler

It is look like the oil cooler is recommended but not a must

Old 04-28-2010, 03:55 AM
Shotcaller you're right, i had the same question i guess AWD creates a lot more heat than RWD cars. Also brake launching is what kills tips, where modded Merc car cannot launch very hard otherwise the'll spin first 3 gears

Old 04-28-2010, 04:05 AM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
It seems that is the same TQ 996/997, check evoms !

http://www.evoms.com/marketplace/ViewProduct.asp?Now=4%2F28%2F2010+3%3A03%3A50+AM&P roductID={710EA6CC-05D4-4D6D-B2BD-DE1C77F9C60E}&OrgID={CA5E16BC-D877-4137-8237-7EB9084DD3D8}&ParentID={484B5E9D-A500-4390-82CB-B56C05044454}&Curr={484B5E9D-A500-4390-82CB-B56C05044454}

Good luck !!!

Old 04-29-2010, 01:14 AM
Cargraphic offers an oil cooler for 3,295euro

http://www.cargraphic.co.uk/index.ph...,article,5339/

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic upgrade the movie :)