997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997TT w/ AWE 750R kit, GIAC, IPD, Methanol Injection, BBI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 08:27 PM
QUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to behold
997TT w/ AWE 750R kit, GIAC, IPD, Methanol Injection, BBI

Warning: Long post! I apologize now for the length of this but hopefully some of you will find some of the results useful.

Finally got my car back from my latest round of mods/tuning. First, I’d like to thank all those who put in a lot of time and effort on this project. Here are the people responsible and their contribution:

Betim and the crew at BBI: New exhaust system, clutch, LWFW, upgraded coil packs, pulley, 5.0 bar FPR, methanol injection system and custom boost gauge installation, competition alignment and corner balance.

Julio at Alky Control: Custom methanol injection system (100% methanol)

Turbo Mike, owner of IPD: Larger diameter Y-pipe (polished finish), 82mm competition plenum, endless hours of technical advice especially with the meth injection system

Garrett and the crew at GIAC: Testing, trouble shooting, and re-tuning of their ECU programming to accommodate the methanol injection system and LWFW

AWE Tuning: 750R turbo kit (already installed previously)

Paul (the owner) and the crew at Shoreline Motoring: Installation of the turbo kit, exterior mods, wheels, coilovers, brakes, and just about everything else I’ve bought for the car.

Here are the results:

This first dyno chart shows the gains from the addition of the methanol injection system (vs. 104 octane race gas), 5.0 bar FPR, BBI exhaust (to replace my old one that started to develop cracks), IPD competition plenum and larger diameter Y-pipe.

The changes netted a maximum gain of 25whp at the peak. Not bad, considering California has the worst possible 91 octane gas available. GIAC found that their 104 octane race gas program worked really well with the 91 octane + methanol injection and needed just a little bit of tweaking to maximize the gains. GIAC also found that with my setup, the stock 3.8 bar FPR was not sufficient for these power levels. The car would reduce timing and boost at the higher RPMs due to the lack of fuel. At one point, the AFR got into the high 13 range (super lean!). Per GIAC’s recommendation, an OEM 5.0 bar FPR was installed and it immediately remedied this problem.

This next dyno chart shows the gains achieved by switching to the larger diameter IPD Y-pipe. The car was tested on the pump gas program with the methanol injection system disabled.

There were some pretty decent gains in horsepower and torque at the lower RPMs but the biggest difference can be seen above 5600 RPM. Gains in horsepower of up to 12 whp can be seen. The horsepower curve also shows how Y-pipe allowed the engine to keep making power instead of leveling off at the higher RPMs. Again, these gains were made on California pee-gas (91 octane) only. More gains should be realized on the methanol injection and race program since the car will be allowed to boost higher.

Here is a picture of the IPD Y-pipe, polished for extra ‘bling’.

This last dyno chart shows a comparison of my car now versus another 997TT with a Cargraphic exhaust only on GIAC’s dyno.

As we all know, the numbers generated differ from dyno to dyno, so claiming that my car makes XXX whp doesn’t necessarily mean too much. It’s the gains from a baseline run that really matters. All these tests were done on GIAC’s dyno and while the “baseline” run isn’t from my car, it still provides a decent reference point for a stock 997TT. Yes, I know there are many other variables come into play when dyno testing but for those of you have witnessed Garrett and the guys at GIAC at work know that they definitely know what they are doing. Take what you will from this dyno chart but for me, a 200whp and 160+ ft-lb of torque increase is definitely not bad.

Here are some random closing thoughts/opinions (finally?):

Garrett and the guys at GIAC are simply amazing. They spent the time troubleshooting my car and refining their programs to produce the smoothest and most reliable gains in power. They concentrate more on the driveability and reliability rather than the peak hp. One of the things GIAC discovered in their testing was that the combination of the LWFW and the GIAC software would sometimes result in some “stuttering” or “bucking” feeling at the low RPMs in first gear. Basically, the computer would get “confused” with the RPMs climbing too fast and would compensate by trying to shut down the throttle. GIAC has found a fix to help remedy this issue. If you currently have a LWFW and GIAC software installed on your car and experience this issue, I would suggest contacting your local GIAC distributor.

The products produced by IPD are, and have been, dyno tested. The gains from the larger diameter Y-pipe was proven by GIAC, who have no connection or vested interest in IPD.

Methanol injection is a good alternate for race gas once you get over the idea of having methanol stored in the front of your car. Cost less too!

Finally, I just want to thank all those individuals and companies that have helped make my car what it is. The quality of their products and their hard work is definitely appreciated!

Here's a couple of pictures of my car. Thanks to wuprb for the awesome pictures!

Last edited by QUIK 911; 04-25-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:46 PM
Nico is infamous around these partsNico is infamous around these parts
nice post randy! your car has come a long way and is only going to get stronger cant wait to see this thing in action again. its a beast!!!

Old 04-24-2010, 09:16 PM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
Brilliant!
Can you post vids/Pbox data when you get a chance?
Enjoy.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:24 PM
yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !
your car is just plain beautiful, shes a beast as well. i cant beleive how fast that thing is bro. congrats

Old 04-24-2010, 09:31 PM
bimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to behold
Wow great results, congrats! Where did you mount your water injection jet at? and what size is it (cc/mn)?

Old 04-24-2010, 10:05 PM
M275 is infamous around these parts
Great post and beautiful car.

Does that methanol system have a failsafe? If so, how does it work?

Old 04-24-2010, 10:16 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Great post, Randy. Can't wait to see this monster next month. Got a pic of the setup in the frunk?

Old 04-24-2010, 10:19 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
You have a real solid ride there. I love the look.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:20 PM
QUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Nico
nice post randy! your car has come a long way and is only going to get stronger cant wait to see this thing in action again. its a beast!!!
Thanks Nico

Old 04-24-2010, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by bimmer81
Wow great results, congrats! Where did you mount your water injection jet at? and what size is it (cc/mn)?
I'm using 100% meth and the injector is located on the y-pipe just before the throttle body under the MAP sensor. I believe the injector is a 15 cc.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by M275
Great post and beautiful car.

Does that methanol system have a failsafe? If so, how does it work?
The failsafe is the stock ECU. The GIAC software does not disable any of the stock safety features. If it senses any knock, the ECU will automatically pull timing and boost.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:34 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Beautiful Car!! Congrats!!

Old 04-24-2010, 10:45 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by QUIK 911
The failsafe is the stock ECU. The GIAC software does not disable any of the stock safety features. If it senses any knock, the ECU will automatically pull timing and boost.
Great set-up and post. Congrats. What GIAC tune file will you be running with the meth kit, race tune?

Old 04-24-2010, 11:03 PM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
very nice , can u upload some pix of the meth kit u're running and more details about the meth kit pls ?

Old 04-25-2010, 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by TTdude
Great set-up and post. Congrats. What GIAC tune file will you be running with the meth kit, race tune?
I can run the meth kit with GIAC race or pump file. I switch to race gas for optimal power.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997TT w/ AWE 750R kit, GIAC, IPD, Methanol Injection, BBI