997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Congratulations to F1CrazyDriver: 6speed v NAGTROC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 07:05 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
World Challenge?

You don't recall the GT-R messing up the corner and almost literally eating the 911?

http://newsodrome.com/car/manufactur...-race-16004192

Old 04-29-2010, 05:57 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by USCCayman
If you truly want to equalize everything and make it as fair as possible on all sides, race the GTR in ALMS or Grand Am for that matter. Oh, that's right, you can't race a GTR in those events. Maybe that is the idea, the Nissan GTR never really has to face the music in the world of professional sports car racing. Guess you can't race a 997TT either, but turbocharged 911s have been raced in the past, be it 934s or 935s, etc., and they did pretty well.
Actually the GT-R would fit right in with Grand-Am because they'll let them build a tube frame version of it, but they won't allow anything to be competitive with the Mazdas.

World Challenge is almost laughable now. I applaud GMG for sticking it out, but they should probably move to the challenge series with ALMS like everyone else is doing. Winning there really won't even give you much pub these days because the races are aired like a month after they run, I don't think they are connected to ALMS anymore. Mass exodus of quality teams. They need to limit the cars more and put stickier tires on them.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:23 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
Well done...

Old 04-29-2010, 02:19 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Actually the GT-R would fit right in with Grand-Am because they'll let them build a tube frame version of it, but they won't allow anything to be competitive with the Mazdas.

World Challenge is almost laughable now. I applaud GMG for sticking it out, but they should probably move to the challenge series with ALMS like everyone else is doing. Winning there really won't even give you much pub these days because the races are aired like a month after they run, I don't think they are connected to ALMS anymore. Mass exodus of quality teams. They need to limit the cars more and put stickier tires on them.
Porsche beat the Mazdas last weekend.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:28 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Yes, but they were over 3 seconds off in qualifying, 1 second slower per lap during the race, and only won because of some great strategy calls and two waveby's (lucky dogs) during caution. Don't expect to see them near the front very often until Grand-AM allows them to.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:31 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
congrats Enrique, way to represent Porsche and the 6...he was pretty ****y after the drag race but you took care of business in the last two events

Old 04-29-2010, 03:19 PM
getz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud of
Dear Mr. Bruce aka "Shinkazo"
After formally evaluating the footage, it is with other sincere regret that we must now invalidate your factory warranty. Thank you for your continued patronage of Nissan.
Sincerely,
Nissan North America, Inc.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:52 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Yes, but they were over 3 seconds off in qualifying, 1 second slower per lap during the race, and only won because of some great strategy calls and two waveby's (lucky dogs) during caution. Don't expect to see them near the front very often until Grand-AM allows them to.
I know, but they can still hang in there against the odds. It's like the good old days when the little four-banger Porsches would beat the big dogs through reliability and strategy. I suppose it is actually a compliment when the rule makers do things to ensure Porsche doesn't dominate. Like taking away 6th gear and 250 rpm in Grand Am DP. Or limiting the amount of fuel that could be used during a race in Can Am competition many years ago. Folks tend to get worried when Porsche shows up to race.

Last edited by USCCayman; 04-29-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:57 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
I know, but they can still hang in there against the odds. It's like the good old days when the little four-banger Porsches would beat the big dogs through reliability and strategy. I suppose it is actually a compliment when the rule makers do things to ensure Porsche doesn't dominate. Like taking away 6th gear and 250 rpm in Grand Am DP.
Hell... they only JUST allowed the Porsche to go to 3.8 Litres last race.. prior to that, they had been stuck at 3.6... Not to mention the fact that they have been running on restricted rear tire sizes...

Old 04-29-2010, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by getz
After formally evaluating the footage, it is with other sincere regret that we must now invalidate your factory warranty. Thank you for your continued patronage of Nissan.
Sincerely,

I know, but they can still hang in there against the odds. It's like the good old days when the little four-banger Porsches would beat the big dogs through reliability and strategy. I suppose it is actually a compliment when the rule makers do things to ensure Porsche doesn't dominate. Like taking away 6th gear and 250 rpm in Grand Am DP.
Yeah, but winning on a waveby (actually 2) AND good strategy sucks because you know you had no business at the front. I'm happy for them, but I'm sure they want to win because they had the best setup and most competitive car for the weekend, not from free point-bys.

It counts in the points, but not in the pits. You can't win championships if that's the only way you can win. I hope Grand-Am turns the 2010's loose.

Even still I don't really care for Grand-Am. I don't mind the Mazdas so much as the Camaro,GTO,GXP,G8 RRRRRRRR's. I miss the old days with the 350z's, Mustangs etc. going at it. with the Porsches and some Ferrari's too I think. More fun then.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:05 PM
Also don't forget, this is not some race shop thrown together Tube frame that the Mazdas are running. These cars are actually developed and built in the US by Reilly, who also makes the vast majority, and dominant DP cars. Those little suckers are hardcore, and with Mazda dumping a ton of money into the program and Reilly basically running rampant in the series, it's not looking good for Tub cars like the Porsches, some Corvette's and occasional Ferrari.

You have a top level chassis developer design your a car specifically for the season, for the tracks, for the class, everything and try to run that down with a factory based car that weighs 400 or so lbs more and you are asking for trouble.

I think a limited RSR or completely ***** out 2010 Cup/ Cup S/ or that other one that looks like the RSR will be needed to really be a front runner week in and week out.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Back to the original topic. There is another way to equalize things between the 99_TT and GTR. Porsche could put the stickier tires on the stock car, set the suspension up for other than grand touring, and plug in a computer to correct all the driver's mistakes. Alas, Porsche would not do that. It is a driver's car after all.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Porsche has come really close though with the 997.2 Turbo, minus the void warranty button and cumputerized everything (only computerized most things). But for a Porsche, it's pretty R2D2. They just haven't put the sticky tires on it yet. Maybe they won't. If they don't come on the Turbo S, then they aren't coming. But the car is pretty gadgety.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:29 PM
Doesn't Porsche set the limit before intevening with driver input pretty high?

Old 04-29-2010, 10:36 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by getz
Sincerely,

But seriously, I don't think Adam drove the car hard enough to invalidate his warranty. Or maybe you meant he put the GT-R to shame and Nissan is invalidating his warranty in retribution.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Congratulations to F1CrazyDriver: 6speed v NAGTROC