997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Wheel and Tire Advice Needed!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 04:40 PM
Rambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of light
Wheel and Tire Advice Needed!

I've been doing lots of reading and research on wheels and I think I've made my decision: 3 piece 20 inch Modulare C11 with brushed centers and chrome lips (see attached pics). The concave, simple design really works for me. I’m choosing 20s primarily because I love the look of the bigger wheels. I don’t track the car and most of my driving is unfortunately in the city, so I’m not worried about losing a bit of power with the bigger wheels. As much as I’d like to lower the car, I drive it in the winter (original wheels on snows) and the stock height is already as low as I can get away with, so lowering is out. I have just a few questions left. I'm hoping some of the forum members/sponsors with similar wheel/tire experience can help me out:

1) My original concern with going with 20s was that I really don't want the ride to get much harsher. I read somewhere that I should choose my tires carefully as some will give a much harsher ride than others, and the right tire choice will help ensure the ride on 20s isn’t too stiff. Recommendations?

2) Another tire question: I’ve seen forum members putting wider than stock tires on (325’s on the rears?). They definitely look better, and it seems like a no-brainer since I have to buy new tires anyways, but am I missing something? What are the pluses and minuses of going with wider tires? Ride comfort is important. I definitely don’t want any rubbing or other issues. I just want to put the new wheels and tires on and not have to worry about them afterwards. Recommended sizes?

3) I’ll probably likely also do spacers to push the wheels out more. Although I’ve seen folks doing all different sizes, 15 seems to be the most popular width for the rear spacers. Is that correct? What about the fronts? Will I need longer bolts?

4) With regard to the wheels, are chrome lips the same thing as polished lips?

5) I’m going to want to put the Porsche coloured center caps on. Do I need to specify this when I buy the wheels to ensure the center openings are the right size for the Porsche caps?

Any recommendations and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Attached Images      
Old 04-28-2010, 06:01 PM
C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !
Not an expert of any sort so take my answer with a grain of salt
Originally Posted by Rambo1
I've been doing lots of reading and research on wheels and I think I've made my decision: 3 piece 20 inch Modulare C11 with brushed centers and chrome lips (see attached pics). The concave, simple design really works for me. I’m choosing 20s primarily because I love the look of the bigger wheels. I don’t track the car and most of my driving is unfortunately in the city, so I’m not worried about losing a bit of power with the bigger wheels. As much as I’d like to lower the car, I drive it in the winter (original wheels on snows) and the stock height is already as low as I can get away with, so lowering is out. I have just a few questions left. I'm hoping some of the forum members/sponsors with similar wheel/tire experience can help me out:

1) My original concern with going with 20s was that I really don't want the ride to get much harsher. I read somewhere that I should choose my tires carefully as some will give a much harsher ride than others, and the right tire choice will help ensure the ride on 20s isn’t too stiff. Recommendations?
PS2 would be the choice of most members here while the Pzero's are the choice for those of us that can't/refuse to pay that much for tires...

2) Another tire question: I’ve seen forum members putting wider than stock tires on (325’s on the rears?). They definitely look better, and it seems like a no-brainer since I have to buy new tires anyways, but am I missing something? What are the pluses and minuses of going with wider tires? Ride comfort is important. I definitely don’t want any rubbing or other issues. I just want to put the new wheels and tires on and not have to worry about them afterwards. Recommended sizes?
245 & 325 are also the norms for 20's mostly due to the width 20s come in for the turbo (usually 11-12") I think the ratio from front to rear also has to do with it since its an AWD system and wider tires=better grip w/o effecting ride quality.

3) I’ll probably likely also do spacers to push the wheels out more. Although I’ve seen folks doing all different sizes, 15 seems to be the most popular width for the rear spacers. Is that correct? What about the fronts? Will I need longer bolts?
Why would you need spacers if you are ordering wheels made specifically for your car? If you want an aggresive look/stance tell them when you place the order so your offset is correct. Spacers sizes is always going to come down to the wheels you have and the offset. Lug bolts will need to be longer in accordance to the spacer size.

4) With regard to the wheels, are chrome lips the same thing as polished lips?
Chrome lips have a coating to make them chrome/bling. Polish means the lip was actually polished to get that "shiny" look and can be repolished after they get dull w/o much trouble. Chrome we need to be re-chromed if something goes wrong. I would do polish

5) I’m going to want to put the Porsche coloured center caps on. Do I need to specify this when I buy the wheels to ensure the center openings are the right size for the Porsche caps?
Need to see to ask the manufacture if the caps will work. Some will work, some won't. Only they will know...

Any recommendations and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 04-29-2010, 08:01 AM
D1911 is a name known to allD1911 is a name known to allD1911 is a name known to allD1911 is a name known to allD1911 is a name known to allD1911 is a name known to all
I think C4SxM5 pretty much covered everything... however, adding to what has said, going to a larger wheel will sacrafice ride quality, it's unavoidable. Picking the right tire will help with that quality of ride though. I don't have much input on tire selection myself so I'll stop there.

As for wheel spacers, again, you probably won't need them. The offset of the OEM wheels are mildly conservative so most people will use spacers to push them out a bit (sometimes used with aftermarket wheels as well when the desired offset isn't achieved).
You're getting aftermarket wheels so depending on wheel width and offset, spacers shouldn't be necessary. Like C4SxM5 mention, ask for an aggressive offset/setup and they should fit nice and flush with the fenders right from the get go.

Most wheel manufacturers don't make chrome lips anymore, majority of them are polished. Again, stick with Polished lips because they're easier to maintain, easier to care for, easier to fix, and lighter than it being chromed.

In regards to the centre caps, I'm not sure you can order a set of wheels specifically to fit the Porsche caps. Ask the wheel manufacturer or the company you're order from if the Porsche centre caps will fit. They might know the answer.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:42 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
I know you've sort of got your mind set on those wheels, but just to throw it out there, if you're interested I have a nearly brand new set of Champion RS128's in 20 inch that I'm dying to get rid of, at pretty 50% their new cost! They were used for 600 miles, literally! PM me if you're interested...

Old 04-29-2010, 11:28 AM
Rambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks for the comments guys, including the PMs. Polished lips it is. I'm getting convinced to stay with 19's. Also realize I should be able to get the right offsets without the need for spacers.

Tom, sounds like a great deal on the Champions, but I'm pretty stuck on the C11's.