997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

considering an after market exhaust tips

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 10:50 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21

And i'm sure Stef's taste wont leave your car looking like a piece of farm machinery. (i hope).
I guess I shouldn't mention that I want them in unpolished stainless. Nope, I better not.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:14 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ruf_turbo
I guess I shouldn't mention that I want them in unpolished stainless. Nope, I better not.
What!! Unpolished? NOwayyyy!!
And hey i love black P cars, my last 2 were both black and my next one after this will probably be black too (only did silver just for a change this time) but that big fat black turbo butt is gonna need something nice and shiney to break it all up a bit. I honestly reckon the two massive drainpipes would look HOT in shiney chrome. Just think about it for a second and ask yourself why the big bore outlets to begin with. Answer:...to make it look as tough as what it REALLY is!! Now if they become lost amongst everything else then what a huge waste. People that manage to spot will ask why is he trying to hide the pipes....is it a sheep in wolves clothing? Send out a clear signal to the masses i say!
Promise to post the pics tho as either way im curious what Stef will come up with lookwise vs those drab old Fabspeeds. Ive seen better outlets on a truck.
I'll promise to go easy . (well easier than this time ) And,get some surrounds (something like the GT2 has) to cover the voids up if u can. It'll look tough but in a sophisticated P car way.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:03 AM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
...edit...
I honestly reckon the two massive drainpipes would look HOT in shiney chrome. Just think about it for a second and ask yourself why the big bore outlets to begin with. Answer:...to make it look as tough as what it REALLY is!!
I think unpolished looks 'tougher' than polished. Polished bright is for the posers.

People that manage to spot will ask why is he trying to hide the pipes....is it a sheep in wolves clothing? Send out a clear signal to the masses i say!
It's not a sheep, although, it's definitely not as fast as some, it's still fast.

Promise to post the pics tho as either way im curious what Stef will come up with lookwise vs those drab old Fabspeeds. Ive seen better outlets on a truck.
I keep saying to myself that I'll post some more pics as soon as I finish modding but I never seem to finish. Now I have the IC's in and the Y-Pipe from VR should be installed next, I just have to wait for Stef to ship the tips and that will probably do me for awhile...I hope. Hopefully I will some pics within 2 weeks. The whole shooting match.

And,get some surrounds (something like the GT2 has) to cover the voids up if u can. It'll look tough but in a sophisticated P car way.
If I can find something that works, I'll do it. Just for you.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:44 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
I think unpolished looks 'tougher' than polished. Polished bright is for the posers.

Hummmmaybe. If you car was blingy id say yeh go the unpolished but its not going by your avatar so a set of polished would give it some "lift".

It's not a sheep, although, it's definitely not as fast as some, it's still fast.

Yup..agree. These 997tt's are no slugs even in stock tune and just an exhaust. Sorry...EP is NOt just "any" A/Mkt exhaust either and sure helps some.

I keep saying to myself that I'll post some more pics as soon as I finish modding but I never seem to finish. Now I have the IC's in and the Y-Pipe from VR should be installed next, I just have to wait for Stef to ship the tips and that will probably do me for awhile...I hope. Hopefully I will some pics within 2 weeks. The whole shooting match.

Ive got stacks of my own now and have similar intentions. What tune have you got? IC's and y pipe is a nice touch but hows the stock clutch holding that..or have you done that too?

Thanks but no...not for me...do it for your car...it'll love u for it.

Those that offer these big singles should also have the surround..hint hint, and im quite sure some of us quad pipe junkies may even consider these if they were packaged correctly. There you go EP and F/Sspd..get it together!! There could well be some $ in this afterall .

Last edited by speed21; 05-05-2010 at 12:47 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:44 AM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
that big fat black turbo butt is gonna need something nice and shiney to break it all up a bit
I think someone needs a cold shower double quick

Old 05-05-2010, 02:54 AM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td style="border: 1px inset;" class="alt2"> Originally Posted by speed21
...edit...
I honestly reckon the two massive drainpipes would look HOT in shiney chrome. Just think about it for a second and ask yourself why the big bore outlets to begin with. Answer:...to make it look as tough as what it REALLY is!!

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
ceramic coat or titanium is also nice
Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td style="border: 1px inset;" class="alt2"> Originally Posted by speed21
People that manage to spot will ask why is he trying to hide the pipes....is it a sheep in wolves clothing? Send out a clear signal to the masses i say!
that's exactly whats i mentioned in the first post in this thread when i said that the black finish techart doesn't Appear it's become invisible because of the black frame !
an i didnt get the sheep thing :P

Quote:
And,get some surrounds (something like the GT2 has) to cover the voids up if u can. It'll look tough but in a sophisticated P car way.
he's the owner of the idea and i really like but let him to find us some thing that will work and me my self well do it .. :P

Old 05-05-2010, 04:18 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by k_ddsl
I think someone needs a cold shower double quick
Not me! But maybe those sheep could do with one.. hehe . After all that paddock work i mean.

Originally Posted by yalmutawa
ceramic coat or titanium is also nice [cool yeh...agree totally but depends on the colour of the car tho]that's exactly whats i mentioned in the first post in this thread when i said that the black finish techart doesn't Appear it's become invisible because of the black frame !
an i didnt get the sheep thing :P Ok yulmutawa, the sheep thing....to bring you in to the picture....and, i undertstand there are no sheep over your way grazing in the arabian deserts however, you surely must have heard the story/fable of little red riding hood....you know...with the big bad wolf dressed up as a sheep? In this case lets just say ruf turbos black car is trying to look tough (eg: like the wolf) ready to eat and beat anything however cant quite manage to carry it all of convincingly enough because its big tough single drain pipes have been totally lost in the charade (ie:being so black and on a black car + looking a bit of an afterthought with all those weirdo gaps showing everywhere) whereas if they were there for all to see (in say something shiney or noticeable....yes titanium and so on), it would convince those that may matter that it really is the wolf and not just some wimpy sheep trying to look the killer wolf. Jees i probably made a bit of a mess out of that but i hope you get the picture?

[/color][/b]
he's the owner of the idea and i really like but let him to find us some thing that will work and me my self well do it .. :P
Yes... well lets hope he can finish up the job so it looks right on your beloved P car and not some odd tack on.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:36 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jeremy@Fabspeed
Here are a couple pics for everybody.....sorry I was having computer trouble yesterday
Jeremy, with all due respect and from a Fabspeed customer (I have the double Fabspeed tip): This thing looks unfinished and not very good at all. In an all-out race car, the huge, unfilled opening might be acceptable, if just barely; in the Turbo, not good.
My vote, as mentioned: A rectangular opening requires double tip. No way around this unless you modify the opening to be GT2-like, as speed21 has pointed out.
The 997.2 Turbo's exhaust opening is larger than 997.1's, making the combination even more unattractive.

Last edited by cannga; 05-05-2010 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:43 AM
dma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with cannga, too much shield being shown for me. I think the big pipe look is great on the 993T, but the oval shaped opening just looks incomplete here. Now, if you use the extra 1/3 for the w/g dump pipe so it can spit fire, that’s a different story. My old 83 turbo had a custom dump pipe on one side that sat next to the muffler.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:58 AM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
+1. I agree.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:53 AM
What tune have you got? IC's and y pipe is a nice touch but hows the stock clutch holding that..or have you done that too?
So far, it's got EvoMS custom tune, FS headers, FS intake, IPD plenum, EP II pipe, AP IC's, Sach's L2 clutch, soon to have VR proto Y-P and silicon hoses. I may be forgetting something.

The rest of the mods are Bilstein Damptronics, RSS sways, RSS drop links, Tarret toe links. Again, I am probably forgetting something.

Not exotic, but a lot better than stock...and still under warranty.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Banned
So far, it's got EvoMS custom tune, FS headers, FS intake, IPD plenum, EP II pipe, AP IC's, Sach's L2 clutch, soon to have VR proto Y-P and silicon hoses. I may be forgetting something.

The rest of the mods are Bilstein Damptronics, RSS sways, RSS drop links, Tarret toe links. Again, I am probably forgetting something.

Not exotic, but a lot better than stock...and still under warranty.
Thats quite a machine you've got there ruf...and you're well ahead of me with the mods. I know im way off the OP's topic but does your clutch pedal feel any different since fitting the LP2? And, any change in the clutch take up point or does the whole clutch upgrade feel exactly the same as stock? I'm curious as i can see im going to need to upgrade mine at one point soon. Tks.

PS. On the big single tips it appears im not on my own afterall. Quite a few 6 speeders there chiming in with genuine concerns .

Old 05-05-2010, 08:37 PM
I know im way off the OP's topic but does your clutch pedal feel any different since fitting the LP2? And, any change in the clutch take up point or does the whole clutch upgrade feel exactly the same as stock? I'm curious as i can see im going to need to upgrade mine at one point soon. Tks.
Never having felt the stock clutch I can't tell you. This one engages about 2/3rd's to 3/4th's of the way up.

PS. On the big single tips it appears im not on my own afterall. Quite a few 6 speeders there chiming in with genuine concerns .
I don't know how genuine their concerns are (), but I received a message from Stef earlier today that he shipped the tips FDX overnight so I will have them in hand tomorrow. I am just getting ready for a session at Sebring this weekend so I may not have time to install them. I'll try to at least post a pic of them anyway.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:46 PM
Banned
Never having felt the stock clutch I can't tell you. This one engages about 2/3rd's to 3/4th's of the way up.

I don't know how genuine their concerns are (), but I received a message from Stef earlier today that he shipped the tips FDX overnight so I will have them in hand tomorrow. I am just getting ready for a session at Sebring this weekend so I may not have time to install them. I'll try to at least post a pic of them anyway.
So you still have the stock slave with pressure accumulator assisted or have you got the gt2 slave non assisted conversion?

And the EP tips....cant wait to see.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:52 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
Jeremy, with all due respect and from a Fabspeed customer (I have the double Fabspeed tip): This thing looks unfinished and not very good at all. In an all-out race car, the huge, unfilled opening might be acceptable, if just barely; in the Turbo, not good.
My vote, as mentioned: A rectangular opening requires double tip. No way around this unless you modify the opening to be GT2-like, as speed21 has pointed out.
The 997.2 Turbo's exhaust opening is larger than 997.1's, making the combination even more unattractive.

Probably the only time I'll ever agree with canaga....
BTW, most of the tips you mentioned will only fit those unique exhausts, will need some fabricating. FVD was making a set of quad tips to fit the stock exhaust, might be worth checking out.

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 05-05-2010 at 08:55 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: considering an after market exhaust tips