997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Suspension Noises

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 09:46 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Any word?

Old 06-24-2010, 09:46 AM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
Review: The damptronics, Tarett drop links, and H&R sway bars were installed and an alignment similar to the GT3 specs and corner balancing were done at approximately 6K miles. Handling was improved dramatically and no unusual noises were heard for another 10K miles. Then on a long trip in hot weather last fall all sorts of noises sprang up. Hard to describe the noises except they were loud enough to be heard in the car at speeds up to 40 mph. Some noises might be described to be similar to those you might get while pulling a trailer only from the front.

Update: After another long trip, the suspension was making so much noise I took it to the dealer while the noises were still evident. With a mechanic in the car and driving only 100 yards in the lot he diagnosed the problem as the upper strut bearings. The mechanic compressed the spring on the coil over enabling him to get at the upper strut bearing to clean it out and grease it. At first I thought that might have fixed the problem, but noooo. The noises are back again although somewhat quieter! So now I'm thinking that the ball bearings have been damaged (flat spotted maybe).

Next week I'm having the upper strut bearings replaced by my suspension guru (since the dealer won't cover them under warranty). He will also install another bearing of some sort in the coil over to eliminate/reduce the noises of the spring turning on its mount (not sure if I got that right).

I thought my cars suspension noises were loud, but I just took a ride in one of the other similarly modified noisy TTs here, and it's so loud it's scary. Sounds like several welds up front have come apart and the whole front end might just fall off.

One other noise I was able to isolate yesterday was a combination sensor/motor that actuates a flap in the HVAC system has gone bad and makes a noise while it tries to constantly cycle it's settings. This can be heard in the right footwell under the dash. I was told this was a rare failure in the TT, but not uncommon in the Cayanne. At any rate the whole dash has to be removed to replace it (under warranty). A 2 day job.

I will update this thread once I have completed a lengthy test drive in a couple of weeks.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:35 PM
jamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to behold
ugh, i also have noises, some have come and gone, some are new. now in what sounds like the right rear seat area i hear what sounds like a rattling noise when i go over bumps. it's getting progressively worse so kinda worrying but i can't feel anything wrong with the handling so doesn't seem critical.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:46 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
I hear some "buzzing" from the rear at certain rpms since putting on the AWE exhaust. I figure it's just cabin resonance being excited by the louder than stock exhaust. Perhaps it's coming from the Bose speaker box behind the rear seats, I don't know. The solution is just to change gears and get away from the 3k rpm.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:47 PM
slawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jamuz
ugh, i also have noises, some have come and gone, some are new. now in what sounds like the right rear seat area i hear what sounds like a rattling noise when i go over bumps. it's getting progressively worse so kinda worrying but i can't feel anything wrong with the handling so doesn't seem critical.
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Cuser%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsoht ml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> Jamuz most likely what you hear is the loose sound damping patches that are attached to rear quarter panels on the inside under the interior trim in the back (left and right side) Because of the interior hit coming from rear breaks and the engine and exterior hit from the sun they often loose the adhesive and just flaps in there.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:15 PM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
You may want to check the upper shock mounts for tightness. It's not to difficult to do.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:19 AM
Yesterday the upper strut bearings were replaced. A 45 mile test drive produced no noises. Next week warmer weather is predicted and I will take a longer test drive. After looking at the bearings I'd have to say it would be simpler and probably less expensive just to replace them rather than try to clean and regrease the originals. BTW the bushing for the spring was not needed as it had been included with the Bilstein Damptronics (I understand some of the earlier kits did not include the bushing.)

My suspension expert says these upper strut bearings should be considered a maintenance item. It's not a "safety of flight" kind thing just damn annoying to have these noises in an expensive car.

I should also mention the dealer said he tried cleaning the bearings and greasing them (on the car), which did quiet them down for about 200 miles.

Last edited by HUMMM 3; 07-02-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:06 AM
One of the other turbos here with loud suspension noises was also diagnosed as requiring upper strut bearing replacement. With these bearings replaced the noises are now gone. My conclusion is, if you have coil overs and weird suspension noises, I'd start with replacing the upper strut bearings. It's about two hours of shop time and around $160 for parts. The bearings themselves could be serviced by removing them, but by the time you're done dicking around with 'em you'd be ahead by just replacing them. And squirting some sort of Teflon waterproof gee whiz grease on them will only quiet them down momentarily.

This post ends my discussion of suspension noises, FINALLY!

Old 07-20-2010, 01:09 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
I'm having mine replaced on Wednesday...I'm glad to finally be able to put this issue to rest. Thank you Larry for taking the time to resolve this matter.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:54 PM
gotsis is infamous around these parts
damptronics and pss9 noise

dont be so sure its the strut bearing. i had the same problem it turned out to be the coilover. the piston shaft needs to be able to move freely when the wheel is turned and the noise can occur with turning the wheel as well road debris can cause the rotation of the shaft in the strut housing to become difficult and then cause the upper part of the coiliver to male noise when trying to rotate the strut bearing. bilstein covered under warranty

Old 07-20-2010, 09:14 PM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
Agreed with Gotsis as a common problem...also coil binding..another problem......
a very NOISY problem......check the spring and perch make sure its proper.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:32 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Solid drop links can also magnify the issue as well.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:35 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
I'd like to thank Chris (cl997) for another potential fix:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...fixed-diy.html

Old 12-13-2010, 04:48 PM
I've been hesitant to post the latest on my front suspension noises as each "fix" that has been implemented has not resolved the issue. The latest "fix" was to return the shocks to Bilstein for analysis. They said the shocks were "low on oil", although there was no evidence of oil leakage while they were on the car. They rebuilt them with new oil and seals under warranty (lifetime). The car was out of commission for nearly a month while this was going on. So far I have not had a chance to do a comprehensive road test. It may have been my imagination, but the car did seem to ride better (smoother) in the short drive home from the shop. Of course, as usual, no noises were heard as they normally manifest themselves only after a drive of 150+ miles and/or warm weather (which we won't get here until next summer). The spring fix as noted in other posts was previously incorporated and seems to have taken care of the groaning noises that sounded like a pirate ship in an Errol Flynn movie.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:38 PM
Tacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these parts
Well if this finally fixes it you will be "in like Flynn".

What a pain in the ***.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Suspension Noises