997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Anyone's CF trim warping??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 12:06 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Anyone's CF trim warping??

Got in the car a few weeks ago and noticed 3 different spots on the CF trim that runs the whole length of the top of the dash.

Funny thing, if the car is in the garage and somewhat cool it's really bad. Take it out and drive it or let it sit in the sun and it goes pretty much back to normal.

I'm hoping this is a warranty item? this is a pricey option and i better not have to pay for it.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:33 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
got pics?

Old 05-06-2010, 01:45 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by bonehead
got pics?
I was thinking of taking pics. If I get some time i'll take some and post em up.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:06 PM
hjacobs2000 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by E55AMG
I was thinking of taking pics. If I get some time i'll take some and post em up.

It is a know issue. On my last 997 it was replaced under waranty 3 times in 4 years. I tried to find the pics, but I dont think I them anymore

Old 05-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Unfortunately, most factory carbon does this - or at least a good bit of the dash components turn yellow, fade, crack, etc. Not sure about warpage.

But I'd put in a warranty claim pronto and try to get it swapped out.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:18 AM
supernovae is infamous around these partssupernovae is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)
Unfortunately, most factory carbon does this - or at least a good bit of the dash components turn yellow, fade, crack, etc. Not sure about warpage.

But I'd put in a warranty claim pronto and try to get it swapped out.
Is that ture even for a 2011 MY car?
In that case I might need to consider the options on my turbo s again before it is too late.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:30 AM
RAY in Pa. is infamous around these parts
My car had this problem (2008 Turbo Cab). Dealer replaced them under warranty. The car is rarely in the sun.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:56 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by supernovae
Is that ture even for a 2011 MY car?
In that case I might need to consider the options on my turbo s again before it is too late.

One would hope by now PAG figured out how to do this better. Go aftermarket if you want - many of the good carbon aftermarket folks do a much better job than does Porsche.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by RAY in Pa.
My car had this problem (2008 Turbo Cab). Dealer replaced them under warranty. The car is rarely in the sun.
Nor is mine, that's why I was a bit surprised. the only time it's in the sun is if i'm driving. It actually gets better when it IS in the sun. The "warpage" pretty much disappears once it gets hot.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:37 PM
wallmon is infamous around these parts
Almost sound like the parts weren't autoclaved. Carbon parts that have been properly heat treated usually don't move much.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
This is a well know problem. I have had my parts replaced multiple times under warranty. Now I just have parts that are delaminating. Screw it. Like the cars mentioned above it does not spend a lot of time in the sun. The car is a 2002.

On my next TT I will not spend 1 cent on junk Porsche CF parts.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:41 PM
ERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to behold
Just had my 08 TT CF redo with the 2 yr service.

The dealer replaced (under warranty) the strips by the windshield and the cup holder cover. They told me it happens on non Cf trip pieces as well.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Showking has a reputation beyond reputeShowking has a reputation beyond reputeShowking has a reputation beyond reputeShowking has a reputation beyond reputeShowking has a reputation beyond reputeShowking has a reputation beyond reputeShowking has a reputation beyond reputeShowking has a reputation beyond reputeShowking has a reputation beyond reputeShowking has a reputation beyond reputeShowking has a reputation beyond repute
One of the defroster-vent trim pieces on my dashboard was like that when I got my car. I brought it to the dealer, they replaced it under warranty. It took a couple of weeks to get, but it was an easy fix. They said it was a common problem and they replace them no questions asked.

-Showking

Old 05-13-2010, 02:31 PM
supernovae is infamous around these partssupernovae is infamous around these parts
Any one got a picture of what it would look like if the carbon is warped?

Old 05-13-2010, 02:37 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Unfortunately we've seen that happening on almost every 997 Turbo that has the carbon trim up there.

The good news is that it's a warranty issue and your dealership should replace it for you without and hassles.