997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Porsche Dealers don't certify privately owned vehicles?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 02:24 PM
SonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of light
Angry Porsche Dealers don't certify privately owned vehicles?

Hello all,

Found this great little 2007 997TT and it's owned and sold by a private party. Figured I will get it certified (CPO) by Porsche after the purchase being that it's still under factory warranty. Well, Porsche returned an answer to my question that they do not certify vehicles unless it was a trade in or was purchased by Porsche at an event like an auction... BUMMERRRR!!! Would a third party warranty be a better solution for me? Or just go for a CPOd vehicle with 20,000 more miles on it?

Old 05-21-2010, 02:39 PM
OCTurbo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SonicKrack
Hello all,

Found this great little 2007 997TT and it's owned and sold by a private party. Figured I will get it certified (CPO) by Porsche after the purchase being that it's still under factory warranty. Well, Porsche returned an answer to my question that they do not certify vehicles unless it was a trade in or was purchased by Porsche at an event like an auction... BUMMERRRR!!! Would a third party warranty be a better solution for me? Or just go for a CPOd vehicle with 20,000 more miles on it?
i would go for an easy care extended warranty that you can get thru most dealerships. it's more comprehensive and a better value than cpo.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:59 PM
Siglo Man is infamous around these partsSiglo Man is infamous around these parts
3rd party ALL DAY LONG. You can get identical coverage for less and you also have the option to have the shop of your choice do the work. I looked into it extensively as I had the option of CPO by a "friendly dealer" but wasn't worth the extra $ not to mention I have another 9 months on the existing and it would be a waste to overlap them.

Hello all,

Old 05-21-2010, 03:46 PM
SonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of light
3rd party it is as long as the seller takes my offer. Any specific companies I should look into? By the way the car's in service date is 08/2007, plenty of warranty left on it.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:08 PM
Latest email from a Porsche dealer aka THE SCHPIEL:

If you purchase the vehicle directly from a private party then the vehicle would not be certified, Sales Dept can get involved and the sales transaction would be handled through our Sales Dept, the car can be certified, fficeffice" /><O></O>
$525.00 Certified inspection <O></O>
Any cost required for repairs to meet certified inspection will be at owner’s expense ie…brakepads, tires <O></O>
$1000.00 fee to sales dept<O></O>
$2400.00 Certified Warranty<O></O>
<O> </O>
Hope this helps<O></O>

Last edited by SonicKrack; 05-21-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:19 PM
getz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud of
Mine was a 3rd party car on consignment at the dealership. If you press you can get this done ;D
-Getz

Old 05-21-2010, 07:10 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Latest email from a Porsche dealer aka THE SCHPIEL:

If you purchase the vehicle directly from a private party then the vehicle would not be certified, Sales Dept can get involved and the sales transaction would be handled through our Sales Dept, the car can be certified, fficeffice" /><O></O>
$525.00 Certified inspection <O></O>
Any cost required for repairs to meet certified inspection will be at owner’s expense ie…brakepads, tires <O></O>
$1000.00 fee to sales dept<O></O>
$2400.00 Certified Warranty<O></O>
<O> </O>
Hope this helps<O></O>
That's a little pricey. 3k including the inspection is "reasonable" and what I paid. Basically you can pay for the inspection first which would be about 3-400 bucks and if it is acceptable for cpo then you could pay the rest. If it needed too much work to bring it up to cpo standard then at least you'd have some good info about the car as well as a dme readout for your 3-400bucks. A basic ppi costs anywhere from 2-400 bucks anyway.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:54 AM
What expense am I looking at with a third party extended warranty?

Last edited by SonicKrack; 05-22-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:31 AM
lexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond repute
What expense I am looking at with a third party extended warranty?
I recently got a quote for Easy Care "Total Care", their top coverage. 7-year 60K miles; $100 deductible - $4,367, $250 ded - $3,872. They have similar coverages for 5 and fewer years . . . Give'em a call.