997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Audison audio?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 09:35 PM
Kafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond repute
Audison audio?

Ok, I know for the purist we prefer to listen to our exhausts not our sound systems. And most of the time I totally agree!

But since I drive my TT every day all year (including long road trips) I'm considering an Audison upgrade (Bit One, LRx 6.9 amp, with either Mille Hertz or the new Voce Audio speakers). I've heard third hand you feel 15 years old with a huge grin and become "one with the sound". For us senior citizens - it sounds almost too good to be true.

Question: Does anyone have a system like this and is it as mood-mind altering as I've heard. Pros? Cons? Consideration to think about in advance?

Thanks - now roll down the window and listen to that exhaust (not stock I hope) sound.
K.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:57 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
I don't think the stock system is all that good but once I put on my AWE exhaust all thoughts of upgrading the stereo disappeared. Not because I love to hear exhaust so much but b/c it is that much louder that I just don't pay attention to the stereo.
I'm a self-proclaimed "audio nut" too.

Having said that, if you do upgrade please let us know the result. I believe you have an aftermarket exhaust also? You'll need lots of wooferage to keep up with the exhaust!

Old 05-23-2010, 07:53 AM
Kafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond repute
Bingo

Originally Posted by The Bogg
I don't think the stock system is all that good but once I put on my AWE exhaust all thoughts of upgrading the stereo disappeared. Not because I love to hear exhaust so much but b/c it is that much louder that I just don't pay attention to the stereo.
I'm a self-proclaimed "audio nut" too.

Having said that, if you do upgrade please let us know the result. I believe you have an aftermarket exhaust also? You'll need lots of wooferage to keep up with the exhaust!
You are right on with this concern! I have the AWE exhaust (among many other of their products) and one of my first questions was the sound issue. I just assumed, and I do LOVE the sound, it would wash out the sound of the audio. I'm just a newbie when it comes to sound quality - but it is as interesting as it is complex - but after talking with those who allege to know about these issues, and one person other than the sales person who has had one of these systems, it appears the exhaust sound does not compromise the sound from these audio systems. To be honest I can't recall all the details but if you can enjoy your iPod now it just gets WAY better, cleaner and clearer.

The plan (at the end of summer when I'm back home from an extended trip) is to replace the tweeters, mid-range, and sub-woofer but not add a woofer - that's the advice the shop technician offered from his 911 customer experiences. It's just that the speaker options are SO complex for someone with my limited knowledge. I understand different speakers have different "personalities' in how they translate the sound (high energy vs more relaxed ...whatever these actually mean). I know I get to "test" various speakers but that's in an audio room - not the car's cab. And they are a chunk of change!

I do some track time in SoCal and was concerned about heat and weight but these too seem to be covered as do our super cold Canadian winters.

When you get older your body starts to ache and just plain hurt at times. A few years ago I picked up a Bang & Olufsen for our house and it really opened my eyes (ears) and heard music I was familiar with in a whole new way - it was so clear and complex and so easy to get lost in the sound. Your body just floats away and the images float by. I understand a good audio system in our cars extends this experience, big time.

It's hard to get info on these "upper end" market products so I appreciate any that gets passed my way. I will do my best to take photos and offer my experiences once the systems is installed and the software tunes it a couple of times.

In the mean time I will keep my windows down and listen to that exhaust. Actually, the sound changed a bit after I added new engine mounts, a bit less growl - I guess because it's more directly connected to the body now.

Comments on your systems are appreciated.
K.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:16 AM
ROB911TRB is a glorious beacon of lightROB911TRB is a glorious beacon of lightROB911TRB is a glorious beacon of lightROB911TRB is a glorious beacon of lightROB911TRB is a glorious beacon of lightROB911TRB is a glorious beacon of light
Please post once you get it done. I'm interested in a better alternative to the Bose in the 997TT. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:26 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Kafka997
I'm just a newbie when it comes to sound quality - but it is as interesting as it is complex - but after talking with those who allege to know about these issues, and one person other than the sales person who has had one of these systems, it appears the exhaust sound does not compromise the sound from these audio systems.

Comments on your systems are appreciated.
K.
K,
the problem in the auto environment is that you will need to turn up the music louder to overcome the increased exhaust noise, and also the exhaust noise is mainly in the bass frequencies so you would have to equalize the sound to compensate. I'm not saying it CAN'T be done, but I'd look for a good example in a similar car before parting with big bucks.
Listening at high volumes for long trips may become fatiguing and can actually be harmful in the long term.

I had a Bose system in my 05 Infiniti G35x sedan. Not bad but not that great, kinda like the one in the 997tt. Interestingly enough, the Bose system in my 09 Infiniti G37x is amazing! It has power, imaging, good bass and is just genuinely good to listen to. Kudos to them, but why did it take so damn long to figure out????

I have active ATC speakers in a custom designed room at home. The room is VERY quiet so you don't have to strain to hear details in the music at all. Very relaxing. The car is a completely different environment but I quite enjoy music in the car too. How much are they asking for the system you're looking at? I'm guessing it is in the thousands based on what you wrote. I've spent a LOT of money on audio and don't have an issue spending money on it if I know I'll get what I want out of it but I'm not as convinced that it's worth the money, but I'll be happy to be proven wrong!

Keep us posted.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:35 AM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
K,
the problem in the auto environment is that you will need to turn up the music louder to overcome the increased exhaust noise, and also the exhaust noise is mainly in the bass frequencies so you would have to equalize the sound to compensate.
I agree. And that's not to mention road noise, wind noise, etc...
To my mind, that's an upgrade that will be last on my list of potential upgrades, if at all.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:11 AM
All good points guys. I have had so much done to my car, AWE power kit, all new suspension, rims, rear wing-deck, etc. - this should be the last mod. The company here works with you (and your budget - don't think I need the $14K Audison amp!) to develop optimal SQ in their sound room (they only do cars - including Ferrari Enzo and Fort GT - they are loud!) and then will ask one of the TT customers with a similar set up let me listen to it before I decide. After install they use the Bit One and amp software to retune the SQ a few times until you are happy. I don't know HOW they do it but all their clients (also with "loud" cars) are extremely happy. All I know is "sound" quickly gets super complicated (but interesting) so will have to trust the guys and customers' comments. I think I missed a whole fantastic audio world (even in the wild 60s) and I'd like to experience it as best as my tin ears will allow. It's pretty amazing what science and technology has done in this area in the past few years.

Thanks for the heads up and comments. I guess I will find out in Sept. and will let you know what the outcome is. Here is some info - complex stuff!

http://www.audison.eu/
http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/default_en.htm

Last edited by Kafka997; 05-24-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:39 AM
Car audio has come a long way since I was tinkering with it in the 80s and 90s (wasn't born yet in the 60s!) and with the advent of dsp (digital signal processing) much more adjustment is now available to tailor the sound to your needs and to have speed adjustable frequency compensation etc.... But...you can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****, so I'm curious to know how good of a result can be obtained for a reasonable cash outlay. I guess "reasonable" is in the eye of the beholder.

I did put the cruise control on at 120km/h on the highway today with the windows up and you know what, I think it could be worthwhile to upgrade the stereo after all. I do like having the window down in the city and sometimes on the highway (I put earplugs in) just to enjoy the wind in my hair (while I still have some) and obviously no stereo will sound all that good inside the car in that situation without lots of power and specific tweaking. If they are doing highend work like that and you find something that meets your needs then perhaps it is worthwhile. Can't wait to hear what you come up with.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:04 AM
nreddy is infamous around these parts
atc

Have the active ATC/meridian home system(150ASL pros)-and agree the BOse in the 911 is wanting-a huge difference from home to car

Old 05-24-2010, 11:21 AM
zen garage is infamous around these parts
you will be extremely happy with the hertz/audison equipment. I currently have it in my H1 and GTR...

Attached Images   
Old 05-24-2010, 11:22 AM
Car audio has come a long way since I was tinkering with it in the 80s and 90s (wasn't born yet in the 60s!) and with the advent of dsp (digital signal processing) much more adjustment is now available to tailor the sound to your needs and to have speed adjustable frequency compensation etc.... But...you can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****, so I'm curious to know how good of a result can be obtained for a reasonable cash outlay. I guess "reasonable" is in the eye of the beholder.

I did put the cruise control on at 120km/h on the highway today with the windows up and you know what, I think it could be worthwhile to upgrade the stereo after all. I do like having the window down in the city and sometimes on the highway (I put earplugs in) just to enjoy the wind in my hair (while I still have some) and obviously no stereo will sound all that good inside the car in that situation without lots of power and specific tweaking. If they are doing highend work like that and you find something that meets your needs then perhaps it is worthwhile. Can't wait to hear what you come up with.
Me too - I prefer my window(s) down all the time until -5C (love the AWE when shifting gears or blipping the throttle). I am wondering about the open window issue with the new audio system. I have been led to believe that you can still enjoy the new sound at lower volumes (windows open) as well as louder (windows closed). We'll see - but from my previous mods I know you need to make some compromises when make changes. I don't listen to audio all the time so the choice should still be ok.

Since you know about some of the technical sound issues do you know how I can collect more info over the summer to get a better idea of what all the specs mean (mags, web sites?) in the Audison and Hertz manuals? I'd like to learn more about it unless I have to start studying engineering manuals. It's pretty interesting stuff to a lay person - I had no idea!

Thanks for the info and your example of audio turned up on cruise control is a good one - I will have to use to clarify my points.
K.

Last edited by Kafka997; 05-24-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:30 AM
Wow

Originally Posted by zen garage
you will be extremely happy with the hertz/audison equipment. I currently have it in my H1 and GTR...
Fantastic news from someone who has walked the walk with this system! Do you mind saying which speakers, amp. you chose and why (I' not asking $ issues)? It was suggested I don't, at this time, put any speakers in the back seat area and keep the sound focused on the 6 speaker "front stage."? What are your thoughts on no woofer in the rear - keep in mind I have the 911 TT and don't want to remove the seats (although I understand woofer sound waves go right through the seats).

While words are pretty useless, any comments on your new sound experience? Is it as awesome as I've been led to believe? Engine noise issue? Wind noise issue? If it works in a Gallardo - should be fine in my 911. I've had the good luck so be behind a couple of Lambos - just the exhaust sounds puts a grin on your face!

Thanks!
K.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:35 AM
Will do

Originally Posted by ROB911TRB
Please post once you get it done. I'm interested in a better alternative to the Bose in the 997TT. Thanks in advance.
My pleasure. I'm driving from Canada to SoCal next week for three months and should have the new system in by the end of September. Will plan on photos etc. Hope it will help others thinking about this mod.

If it needs saying, I'm not implying the system I'm looking at is "better" than others. Sorry, just hate these product pissing wars that seem to pop up once in awhile. Most are all good in one way or another!

Old 05-24-2010, 11:46 AM
zen garage is infamous around these parts
I honestly have know idea what I have in my cars. I am a pretty large hertz/audison dealer and we are using alot of their equipment in my cars these days

Old 05-30-2010, 09:44 PM
irysfan is infamous around these parts
Top of the line Mille Hertz is among the best car speakers I auditioned. Can't go wrong with it pairing with an Audison. The most important part is to get a good install and tune it properly. I'd say lose all the rear speakers, and have a 7-8" woofer, 4-6" mid, and tweeter up front. Rear speakers often muddle up the sound stage in a car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Audison audio?