997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Boost gauge on 997.2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 08:21 AM
JG-00 is infamous around these parts
Boost gauge on 997.2

At what rpm level should the boost gauge begin to show a reading?

The readout on my gauge is very erratic and usually does not register a reading at all. I can hear and feel the turbos kick in but the gauge does not register a reading most times and when it does its a very quick flash reading up to 8-10psi then drops back down to zero.

Anybody else experience this, or can give me the behavior of their gauge?

Old 05-27-2010, 10:39 AM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
That doesn't sound right. I was in my friend's 997.2TT a few days ago. Not that it makes a difference, but he had the boost readings configured to Bar not PSI.
When he went WOT, that gauge would immediately hit 1 Bar and stay there.
I may be mistaken, but I think you should get it checked.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:46 PM
dksu has a spectacular aura aboutdksu has a spectacular aura about
Mine does the same too. It is very erratic in behavior. As you mentioned, many times I don't see the bar go up at all. When it does come in, the bar shoots up to 1 bar instantly. I'm not even giving full throttle.

Originally Posted by JG-00

The readout on my gauge is very erratic and usually does not register a reading at all. I can hear and feel the turbos kick in but the gauge does not register a reading most times and when it does its a very quick flash reading up to 8-10psi then drops back down to zero.

Anybody else experience this, or can give me the behavior of their gauge?

Old 04-22-2013, 09:17 PM
tomb18 is a jewel in the roughtomb18 is a jewel in the roughtomb18 is a jewel in the rough
Hi,
Let me get this straight....your gauge shows a maximum of 1.0 Bar?
Do you have the sports chrono?

Thanks

Old 04-23-2013, 06:08 AM
twnj is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by tomb18
Hi,
Let me get this straight....your gauge shows a maximum of 1.0 Bar?
Do you have the sports chrono?

Thanks
1.0 Bar is the max boost on the 997.2 but you should only see that if you're in sport mode on overboost (assuming this is TT rather than a TTS). My 997.2 does spike up to max quickly and only holds it for a second or two but doesn't jump around as described above.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:26 AM
DÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant future
There seem to be alot of threads about the behavior of boost and gauges and so forth right now...this is my experience.

I have a 2010 PDK 997.2TT w/ SC - The gauge is set to show PSI. When I hold my foot to the floor and apply WOT the gauge shoots over to 14 and the upper arrow is displayed showing over boost. The software has been....hmm reconfigured, so that my TT acts more like a TTS in that the upper arrow is present for more than 10 secs...but by that time I would be going like 120+ mph so I don't do that very often (as I do not wish to be incarcerated).

But in normal driving on the street, where is one going to be holding their foot to the floorboard? Of course the turbos are going to kick in for blips at a time until you reach a safe cruising altitude (read stable speed)...Your turbos aren't screaming the whole time with boost, it only comes on with changes in right foot communication to the throttle. It is even less likely to boost and with shorter blips if I am not in sport mode. Me thinks this is the interpretation some are making that their turbos are "acting erratically." When in fact it is normal ECU behavior based on throttle position and changes in speed.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:32 AM
DÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by JG-00
The boost gauge does not show a reading relative to RPM, rather boost builds based on ECU mapping (sport mode or not) and throttle inputs and more importantly mashing the accelerator to the kick down (WOT).

If I keep it in first gear, and just increase RPM gradually not pushing to the kick down, the boost does not build much at all.