997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport
View Poll Results: Should I pull the trigger?
Yes, incredible deal!
34.38%
No, you're outa your mind!
65.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Should I Go for It? 620 AWD BHP - TECHART Performance Package

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 03:57 PM
SpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond repute
ok lets assume something happens (god forbidden) where is ur nearest techart dealer ?

Old 05-28-2010, 04:04 PM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SpunkyQ8
ok lets assume something happens (god forbidden) where is ur nearest techart dealer ?
Believe me, I asked!

TECHART will nominate an approved install/repair center here in Kuwait and have you do all the work with them. Maybe even P dealer.

They did not specify yet. I did not push the issue until I make up my mind.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:20 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dinorocz
What a waste of money, its an ecu, and exhaust, wtf?? 15k??
0-200 km/h in 9.3 seconds is 0.75 seconds faster than EVOMs upgraded 997.2TT w/upgraded billet VTG turbos.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:56 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
You need to look into the warranty more closely. My understanding is that TechArt will warranty repairs on the items that are installed on your car. That doesn't mean they will cover engine damage as the result of a bent rod, or your transmission due to excessive number of launches.

With the Mezger engine, who cared if an ECU + exhaust were added to the car...the transmission and engine were known to take a beating to 700-800hp. On the newer turbo, the engine and transmission are new to production - durability is a question, and my guess is no tuner is going to stand up and repair an engine under warranty if it has been modified.

That being said...you may want to wait. DFI Turbo tuning is in its infancy - look how many years it took before the 996TT's really took off - and it is still being sharpened to a razors edge. Enjoy the car - enjoy the low 11 second quarter mile runs...as time goes on, you will find more (and better) choices for tuning.

- bob

Old 05-28-2010, 05:05 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
I would be concerned about any warranty guarantees too. It's all good until you have a problem. There are always exclusions that they can get you on. Congrats on the new wheels.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:43 AM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
I think that you would love it and if you dont' do it, you will wonder what it would be like.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:53 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by bbywu
You need to look into the warranty more closely. My understanding is that TechArt will warranty repairs on the items that are installed on your car. That doesn't mean they will cover engine damage as the result of a bent rod, or your transmission due to excessive number of launches.

With the Mezger engine, who cared if an ECU + exhaust were added to the car...the transmission and engine were known to take a beating to 700-800hp. On the newer turbo, the engine and transmission are new to production - durability is a question, and my guess is no tuner is going to stand up and repair an engine under warranty if it has been modified.

That being said...you may want to wait. DFI Turbo tuning is in its infancy - look how many years it took before the 996TT's really took off - and it is still being sharpened to a razors edge. Enjoy the car - enjoy the low 11 second quarter mile runs...as time goes on, you will find more (and better) choices for tuning.

- bob
I agree with Bob. I would drive the car, put some miles on it and enjoy it. Get a baseline on how the car's reliability will be and give it a chance for any issues to shake out. You haven't even received your car, correct?

If my memory is correct i've read posts from others in the ME and it doesn't seem like the dealers are very accomodating when it comes to mods or handling issues. Warranty or no warranty, if something goes wrong you WILL be in a battle with porsche.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:42 AM
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
Cant talk about other tuners but when i went to TechArt in Germany and got a full tour of the facilities i was VERY impressed. They are a top notch place and it had the 997.2 Turbo they would be my first call if money were no object. Obv you can get the same power for less, but the whole package TechArt provides is just SO COOL!

Old 05-29-2010, 09:09 AM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
0-200 km/h in 9.3 seconds is 0.75 seconds faster than EVOMs upgraded 997.2TT w/upgraded billet VTG turbos.
R u serious?

Old 05-29-2010, 09:57 AM
Slapshot.goal is infamous around these parts
You can do it for way less

I just upgraded with the following: Stage 2 Exhaust from Europipe and ECU Flash upgrade from Champion. The ECU flash through Champion was done through my Porsche dealer and fully warranted. Cost for both, $8400, and should add ~125 bhp! With the extra $$, go buy a set of Forgiato Wheels and tires ($8500) and you'll not only have one of the fastest on the street, but very unique and best looking!

Old 05-29-2010, 10:03 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future

- bob
Bob brings up a good point about the untested wet sump motor, perhaps it's best to wait a little while. Then jump on the Techart upgrade later, unless TA is willing to make you a better deal to be the first one in your region.

Last edited by TT Gasman; 05-29-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by robmd99
R u serious?
Here you go, Rob...from EVOMs testing at the Mile.

The only problem with my statement is TechArt's failure to publish their datalog from testing. However, assuming that they are not fudging their numbers, they quote a 0-200 km/h time of 9.3 seconds.

I can not speak for altitude, slope, temperature, headwind, or any other conditions.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:44 AM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
My biggest concern is the PDK.

When top flight tuners, Champion, Protomotive and 9ff, to name a few, have freely and openly stated that the PDK gearbox is slipping clutches at or around 580 HP to the wheels, and TA are telling me that they are getting 620 HP to the wheels with no evidence of clutch slippage after 30,000 kms on the odo, I just don't get it!

Either I'm missing something or the 30,000 kms have been driven with Miss Daisy's chauffeur at the wheel!

I emailed them about this and am waiting for their reply. Let's see...

Old 05-29-2010, 12:09 PM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpunkyQ8
Believe me, I asked!

TECHART will nominate an approved install/repair center here in Kuwait and have you do all the work with them. Maybe even P dealer.

They did not specify yet. I did not push the issue until I make up my mind.

don't listen to him karim wallah do the job and enjoy it you didnt buy the turbo to park it in the GARAGE !!!
spunkyQ8 is a different case here he had a very bad experience in tuning specially with his 700Hp mustang !
tuning is good for those who tuned there cars and succeeded in there experience thats why i still advice u to go for it

Old 05-29-2010, 01:05 PM
jiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to all
Originally Posted by k_ddsl
My biggest concern is the PDK.

When top flight tuners, Champion, Protomotive and 9ff, to name a few, have freely and openly stated that the PDK gearbox is slipping clutches at or around 580 HP to the wheels, and TA are telling me that they are getting 620 HP to the wheels with no evidence of clutch slippage after 30,000 kms on the odo, I just don't get it!

Either I'm missing something or the 30,000 kms have been driven with Miss Daisy's chauffeur at the wheel!

I emailed them about this and am waiting for their reply. Let's see...
'cause they have 620 hp @ the flywheel...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I Go for It? 620 AWD BHP - TECHART Performance Package