997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport
View Poll Results: Should I pull the trigger?
Yes, incredible deal!
34.38%
No, you're outa your mind!
65.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Should I Go for It? 620 AWD BHP - TECHART Performance Package

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 04:44 PM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
if i were you I would do it just because I like techart not the warranty. The warranty is plus but I would go through a lot of hassle because of the engine upgrade. let's say your a/c is down. Yes it's warranty issue. dealer in GCC would cancel your warranty for any reason, then you will end up with a problem not covered by techart ( has nothing to do with engine and trani ) nor dealer ( because of the engine upgrade ).

as far as the power I think it's to high to get this much HP just from exhaust and ECU.
that what i was telling him !!!
bro techart is like wearing a suit from Gucci or Dolce & Gabbana

Old 05-30-2010, 05:23 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
I spoke w/ Akram who is working w/ Todd in tuning my friends PDK. They are just about done (in the final process of fine tuning) a tune that will get another 15% out of the engine and that is w/ out an exhaust (they claim the stock exhaust flows very well).

Todd isn't going to release it until he is 100% sure, but that is the route I would go. IMO, Evo is the best at building engines, and Techart at external mods, but when it comes to tuning Protomotive is the top of the food chain.

That is just my opinion, don't mean to start a flame war, but w/ a $150K car that is already insanely fast, why chance it. It will also be far cheaper.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:08 PM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
I sent TA the following email. I should hear from them soon. Will report back to the community.

Dear XXX,

I have a few questions:

1- Who would be your approved installer/repair workshop in Kuwait and do you have their contact information?

2- Your website shows the 0-100 and 0-200 figures. Do you have any performance figures for the 0-300 or 200-300? The 200-300 band is the 997.2TT achilles heel!

3- All other tuners, and 9ff as an example (see their website), are clearly stating that the 997.2TT PDK is slipping clutches at anything around 560 HP at the wheels. This is my single biggest concern.
How are you able to overcome this problem?
You said your cars have already 30,000 kms on them. Is that with the kit installed? Are they being driven hard and pushed or are they being driven around town, etc...?
9ff have released a PDK upgrade kit. Do you currently have/are you working on a PDK upgrade kit should anything go wrong?

4- Is it possible for me to keep my original ECU un-modified and for you to send me a new ECU? I have the Durametric cable and software if that helps.

5- Your ECU tune, does it preserve Launch Control functionality? What difference is there between normal, sport and sport + in your tune?
How does your tune allow for different gas octane? We have 98 RON and 104 RON here. 104 is VERY expensive so I will run it only occasionally.

6- Can you describe your warranty claims process for me?

Thanks in advance for your kind cooperation.

Warmest regards,

Karim

Old 05-30-2010, 07:10 PM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
I spoke w/ Akram who is working w/ Todd in tuning my friends PDK. They are just about done (in the final process of fine tuning) a tune that will get another 15% out of the engine and that is w/ out an exhaust (they claim the stock exhaust flows very well).

Todd isn't going to release it until he is 100% sure, but that is the route I would go. IMO, Evo is the best at building engines, and Techart at external mods, but when it comes to tuning Protomotive is the top of the food chain.

That is just my opinion, don't mean to start a flame war, but w/ a $150K car that is already insanely fast, why chance it. It will also be far cheaper.
Totally agree about Todd K. I'm in touch with him.
I would also add Champion Motorsports up there.
A few others as well for sure.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:07 PM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
I wanted to vote...Yes,you are outa your mind

Old 05-30-2010, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by pepper09tt
I wanted to vote...Yes,you are outa your mind

Old 05-31-2010, 02:55 AM
John H. has a spectacular aura aboutJohn H. has a spectacular aura aboutJohn H. has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by TTdude
Agreed. They can't even fudge their data correctly. TQ and HP curves should cross at 5250.
Awesome! I didn't even look at it long enough to see that. "Deiter, let's draw some lines and sh#t."

In all seriousness - if you buy this package, you deserve what you get.

JH

Old 05-31-2010, 05:10 AM
Gentlemen,

I received the following response from TA regarding the queries I sent them.

I also re-quoted the email I had sent them which I had posted earlier, below the TA response, for easy reference.

- QUOTE -

Dear Karim,

please read my answers regarding your points below. If there is anything else i can do for you, please let me know.

Clutch:
do know any of your friends, collegues or other people around you who speak German? I attached you an article from one of the most renowned German sport cars magazines. They have tested one of our 997 Turbo with the T2 engine upgrade installed. This is actually the same car that we have tested before on the race track and on the streets for 3 months. The magazine guys took the car again on the race track and tested it on the streets as well. No problems with the clutch in all tests.

Warranty:
As you can see on the last page we have 10 out of 10 points in every single category (performance, reliability, driveability, handling except for the attractive pricing, where we have only 5 from 10 points. Our kit is more expensive, because TECHART - as the only tuner worldwide - is giving 2 years of warranty on its engine upgrade and as well the original engine and original transmission. I attached the warranty conditions for your information.

Installation partner:
Our partner in Kuwait is Porsche Kuwait http://www.porsche.com/middle-east/_kuwait_/ Please contact Mr. -EDIT- and let him know that I recommended you to him. The installation of the kit is not very complicated, since it consists technically only of the sport air filter, the manifolds, the exhaust sport and the ECU. No need to exchange the turbo chargers or to install extra components that have not been there before. Basically it's just exchanging already existing components. This is very important to us, because we want every Porsche Center worldwide to be able to install and maintain our upgraded engines. In case you travel with your car to some place outside Kuwait and happen to have an accident or anything, then the local Porsche dealer has to be able to service your engine as well. Therefore the kit comes with detailed fitting instructions in English with many pictures.

ECU:
If you wish to keep your ECU you can do that of course. But in that case you would have some extra costs for buying and setting up a new ECU at Behbehani, before sending it to us in order to re-program it. A new ECU needs to be set up first for the individual car. But - YES - it's possible.

Driving data 0 - 300 :
The acceleration from 0 - 300 is about 26.5 s. I say "about", because we have tested and measured that internally. The other data (0-100 and 0-200) has been measured with GPS by an objective and neutral institution together with the journalists.

Best regards,

- END QUOTE -

Originally Posted by k_ddsl
I sent TA the following email. I should hear from them soon. Will report back to the community.

Dear XXX,

I have a few questions:

1- Who would be your approved installer/repair workshop in Kuwait and do you have their contact information?

2- Your website shows the 0-100 and 0-200 figures. Do you have any performance figures for the 0-300 or 200-300? The 200-300 band is the 997.2TT achilles heel!

3- All other tuners, and 9ff as an example (see their website), are clearly stating that the 997.2TT PDK is slipping clutches at anything around 560 HP at the wheels. This is my single biggest concern.
How are you able to overcome this problem?
You said your cars have already 30,000 kms on them. Is that with the kit installed? Are they being driven hard and pushed or are they being driven around town, etc...?
9ff have released a PDK upgrade kit. Do you currently have/are you working on a PDK upgrade kit should anything go wrong?

4- Is it possible for me to keep my original ECU un-modified and for you to send me a new ECU? I have the Durametric cable and software if that helps.

5- Your ECU tune, does it preserve Launch Control functionality? What difference is there between normal, sport and sport + in your tune?
How does your tune allow for different gas octane? We have 98 RON and 104 RON here. 104 is VERY expensive so I will run it only occasionally.

6- Can you describe your warranty claims process for me?

Thanks in advance for your kind cooperation.

Warmest regards,

Karim

Last edited by k_ddsl; 05-31-2010 at 05:16 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:14 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
notice that he avoided the part re: slipping clutches...

this guy's tone and diction reminds me of a 9ff salesman I used to deal with. Homeboy would look you dead in the eye (and lie).

Basically, their tactic was to say whatever to make the sale, then deal with blowback later. usually it wasnt a problem (dyno#s etc) as the cars were pretty fast anyhow - but that was before the rise of the "budget" American tuner scene.

I say be wary - if it sounds too good....

Old 05-31-2010, 03:35 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
Have your lawyer look over the warranty paperwork, set aside about $35k in addition to the $15k. And use launch control away from every light.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:38 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
650 awhp equates to what about 750 flyhweel hp or others " GT750 " kits.

21,2 - 9ff-Porsche 997 Carrera 2 3.6 Biturbo Cabrio 780 hp
21,7 - Gemballa GTR 750
22.3 - 993TT, 3.8 ltr, Garrett turbos, stock intercooler, 1450 kgs, some aerodynamic help such as no mirrors and no wipers.
22,4 - McLaren F1
23,2 - MTM bimoto 740 hp
24,8 - Ruf Rt12 (AWD) 650 hp
25,2 - 9ff GT2 843 hp
25,9 - RS Tuning 993TT 533 HP (AWD)
26,1 - Ferrari Enzo 660 hp
27,6 - Ruf Rt12 650 hp
28,5 - 996 GT2 RS-Tuning 542 hp 28.5
29,0 - Ruf CTR "Yellowbird" (see last post on page 4)
29,9 - Ferrari 599 GTB 620 hp
30,6 - MB SLR McLaren 626 hp
30,6 - Brabus E 500 v12turbo 640hp
30,7 - Ruf R Turbo 520 hp
31,8 - Lamborghini LP640 640 hp
31,9 – Techart 911 Turbo Cab 600 hp
31,9 - Mercedes SL 65 AMG
32,3 - 996 GT2 Techart GT Street S 646 hp

So the car with a 26.5 ( if that is correct) has some power, but not 650 awhp!

Old 05-31-2010, 08:10 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
1) You need to look into the warranty more closely. 2) DFI Turbo tuning is in its infancy - look how many years it took before the 996TT's really took off - and it is still being sharpened to a razors edge. 3) Enjoy the car - enjoy the low 11 second quarter mile runs...as time goes on, you will find more (and better) choices for tuning.
- bob
Excellent points here Karim!!! especially No 3).

Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
IMO, Evo is the best at building engines, and Techart at external mods, but when it comes to tuning Protomotive is the top of the food chain. a $150K car that is already insanely fast, why chance it.
+1!!!!!! on the above!!

The car is insanely fast stock. Get used to that first!

Karim what you need is the Kuwaiti Fire department and a Firetruck with enough water to put out that raging fire burning in your pocket .

My best and only advice at this stage is to cool your heels and keep that finger of yours well and truly away from any more triggers at least until you have that beautiful car under you backside.

Last edited by speed21; 05-31-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:23 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by germeezy1
650 awhp equates to what about 750 flyhweel hp or others " GT750 " kits.

21,2 - 9ff-Porsche 997 Carrera 2 3.6 Biturbo Cabrio 780 hp
21,7 - Gemballa GTR 750
22.3 - 993TT, 3.8 ltr, Garrett turbos, stock intercooler, 1450 kgs, some aerodynamic help such as no mirrors and no wipers.
22,4 - McLaren F1
23,2 - MTM bimoto 740 hp
24,8 - Ruf Rt12 (AWD) 650 hp
25,2 - 9ff GT2 843 hp
25,9 - RS Tuning 993TT 533 HP (AWD)
26,1 - Ferrari Enzo 660 hp
27,6 - Ruf Rt12 650 hp
28,5 - 996 GT2 RS-Tuning 542 hp 28.5
29,0 - Ruf CTR "Yellowbird" (see last post on page 4)
29,9 - Ferrari 599 GTB 620 hp
30,6 - MB SLR McLaren 626 hp
30,6 - Brabus E 500 v12turbo 640hp
30,7 - Ruf R Turbo 520 hp
31,8 - Lamborghini LP640 640 hp
31,9 – Techart 911 Turbo Cab 600 hp
31,9 - Mercedes SL 65 AMG
32,3 - 996 GT2 Techart GT Street S 646 hp

So the car with a 26.5 ( if that is correct) has some power, but not 650 awhp!
G,

I don't think TechArt does claims Their T2 kit makes 650 AWHP. If you reference their website:

http://www.techart.de/en/techart-sho...10/engine.html

...they claim a power increase of "120 hp" based on a "3.8l / 368 kW / 500 hp with PDK" or 620 hp flywheel...not the wheels. If Karim is receiving correspondence from TechArt stating otherwise, they are misrepresenting their product.

26.5 seconds 0-300 is appropriate for a PDK equipped car running 620 hp.

Last edited by bbywu; 05-31-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by ttpopo
I say be wary - if it sounds too good....
It does, in a way...

Originally Posted by germeezy1
Have your lawyer look over the warranty paperwork, set aside about $35k in addition to the $15k. And use launch control away from every light.
Originally Posted by speed21
Karim what you need is the Kuwaiti Fire department and a Firetruck with enough water to put out that raging fire burning in your pocket .

Paul, for the record, I'm not in that big of a rush on this.
I'm trying to do my homework for when the time comes.
Doing my homework, for me, includes benefitting from the wisdom and knowledge of people who have far more experience than me in such matters, you guys.

Originally Posted by bbywu
They are trying to state that their T2 engine performance kit is making 620 hp at the crank, not the wheels. If Karim is receiving correspondence from TechArt stating otherwise, they are misrepresenting their product.

27 seconds 0-300 is appropriate for a PDK equipped car running 620 hp.
Therein lies the confusion Bob...

+120 HP, i.e. 620 at the crank, is a reasonable output for this kit to produce. If you take out a *very* conservative 15% of losses, that would give you 526HP at the wheels. You would then be within the bounds of safety for the PDK clutches according to most of the tuners pushing these cars to these limits.

I posted earlier in this thread the TA guy's email in which he asserted that the 620 HP was measured at the wheels on the dyno.

If it was an honest mistake, I would feel better about the whole package.
If it was deliberate, it does throw a lot of doubt about other things, including warranty policies...

I have the name of the guy TA referred me to at he Porsche dealership here. I think I'm going to drop by his office and see what's their experience with the packages, warranty claims, etc... when dealing with TA in the past.

Last edited by k_ddsl; 05-31-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by k_ddsl
Gents,

This is the email I received from TA:

Dear Karim,

I attached some pictures for you for your inspiration :-) All our aerodynamic parts are either PU-RIM (exactly the same material as Porsche) or carbon fiber.

Attached you may also find an offer for the 2x engine upgrades that we offer for the 997 Turbo gen II. The 620 Hp have been measured at the wheels with a dyno - actually we had even a bit more than 620 HP ;-) We actually did very intensive testing for both kits: dyno, street and race track. We have especially payed attention at the clutch: whether there is slip or any kind of damage. Our test cars have all over 30.000 km on the clock now and so far we did not noticed any slip or damage. Otherwise we would not have released this kit for sale. Also: you get a warranty of 2 years and unlimited mileage on all TECHART engine upgrades. This includes not only the TECHART components, but also the original engine and transmission.

If are really interested in one of our engine upgrades, please let me know soon, because we have a lot more orders than we expected and stock is already getting low.

Best regards,
That is from Techart and that is why I said that I believe it to be a flywheel hp rating and not a wheel hp rating. But apparently Techart said otherwise.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I Go for It? 620 AWD BHP - TECHART Performance Package