997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport
View Poll Results: Should I pull the trigger?
Yes, incredible deal!
34.38%
No, you're outa your mind!
65.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Should I Go for It? 620 AWD BHP - TECHART Performance Package

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 09:02 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
There is no way they can warranty the PDK and A91 engine when that 620 awhp rating would be above what has been accomplished with similar mods and similar transmission longevity. The way the responses are worded sounds like a sales pitch reiterated!

Old 05-31-2010, 09:05 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by k_ddsl
Therein lies the confusion Bob...

+120 HP, i.e. 620 at the crank, is a reasonable output for this kit to produce. If you take out a *very* conservative 15% of losses, that would give you 526HP at the wheels. You would then be within the bounds of safety for the PDK clutches according to most of the tuners pushing these cars to these limits.

I posted earlier in this thread the TA guy's email in which he asserted that the 620 HP was measured at the wheels on the dyno.

If it was an honest mistake, I would feel better about the whole package.
If it was deliberate, it does throw a lot of doubt about other things, including warranty policies...
I read through the entire thread again and see your point.

Most German tuners will post their engine kit gains with an engine dyno. However, I've never seen a plot like the one shown - it is definitely not a Maha run.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:07 PM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
G,

This is the same concern I have. If it is a deliberate twist for a sales pitch, what credibility remains about the other components of that pitch, most importantly the warranty?

Bob,

Correct. I want the P dealer here to weigh in on the matter.
TA said that the P dealer is their authorized install/repair partner for Kuwait.
Let's see what their experience with TA has been, specially about the reliability of the kits and the after sale support, including the degree of harassment when trying to make warranty claims.

Last edited by k_ddsl; 05-31-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:14 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
Here is an easy way, just tell them you need a dyno sheet. That is a simple and easy request for someone spending $15k. Also have them send you a PDF of their warranty and have it reviewed by an attorney. They said they measured 620 hp on the dyno with no data, dyno sheets or info on if it was run in AWD or RWD.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:17 PM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
Good idea G.
They did send me the warranty policy. I'll have my lawyer cousin look at it early next week.
I will send a request for the dyno sheet. I'll report back.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:25 PM
E-mail to TA sent:

Dear -EDIT-,

Thank you for the information. I will contact Mr. -EDIT- at Behbehani.

I do have one last request:

Could you please send me a copy of the actual dyno run sheet for the T2 package? Not the graph posted on the website, but the actual dyno run graph?

Also, do you have an answer to question number 5 in my below email? Does your tune preserve the Launch Control function? And how does it differ/affect Normal Mode, Sport Mode and Sport + Mode? How does it handle different fuel octanes?

Thanks in advance for your patience and cooperation.

Best regards,

Karim

Old 05-31-2010, 09:37 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I'd go with GIAC. They are the tuning force behind Champion Motorsports "War Admiral" and make impecable, driveable off the shelf tunes. Of course there are many options out there. I've never heard of a blown GIAC motor in 5 years (or so) on this board. They never forget that you want your car to be fast and last. IE Do you want a tune that's 800RPM past the factory rev limit? I don't... Some tuners here will program that for you.

Of course there are numerous tuners out there. In the end it comes down to opinion.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 06-01-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:26 AM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
Is the guy at techart named Jean-Pierre Kraemer?

If so - RUN away.

Its a tired sales tactic - lie to close, then move on...knowing most guys will be happy with the power and never actually CHECK...

Its IMPOSSIBLE that TA is doing more than anybody else. TA makes soem great Aero stuff, but engine tuning is NOT their forte.

TA acually used to use some 9ff tunes and parts in their motor tuning programm for cayenne. their 996tt tunes were decidely tame.

I cant imagine this discussion is even continuing - it clearly walk, talks and smells like a duck!

So TA is saying otherwise - big deal, remember this is the world of aftermarket tuning - where a fool and his money are quickly and dutifully PARTED.

-NEXT!

Old 06-07-2010, 09:42 PM
I am posting this to wrap up of this thread.

Late last night, I finally received a response to my last email to TA quoted here:

Originally Posted by k_ddsl
E-mail to TA sent:

Dear -EDIT-,

Thank you for the information. I will contact Mr. -EDIT- at Behbehani.

I do have one last request:

Could you please send me a copy of the actual dyno run sheet for the T2 package? Not the graph posted on the website, but the actual dyno run graph?

Also, do you have an answer to question number 5 in my below email? Does your tune preserve the Launch Control function? And how does it differ/affect Normal Mode, Sport Mode and Sport + Mode? How does it handle different fuel octanes?

Thanks in advance for your patience and cooperation.

Best regards,

Karim
The response is a follows:

Dear Karim,

sorry for my delayed reply on your last email, I had to wait until our responsible technician for that engine upgrade got back from his vacation, in order to answer your question.

"YES" - our engine upgrade does preserve the Launch Control function. For that you need a car with PDK and Sport Chrono +. You step with your left foot on the brake and with your right food on the gas. At about 5.000 rpm you let the brake go suddenly. Then the launch control kicks in and the car starts speeding, but with TA 097/T2 constantly at a higher momentum compared to the standard OEM setting.

As soon as you put in fuel of low(er) octane the engine output drops of course. This is not only true for the TECHART engine upgrade, but also for the OEM engine. We have never driven our engine upgrade with less than 100 octane fuel.

The dyno run sheets with the detailed data are top secret of course. We can't give them to anybody outside the company, sorry. Porsche wouldn't do that either, I suppose ;-) The dyno charts that I sent you are all the performance information I can provide.

Best regards,
Dyno run sheets are top secret!

Decision made:
I'll pass for now.

I want to thank all the 6speeders who weighed in on the subject for taking the time and interest to provide me with their thoughts.

You guys rock!

Old 06-08-2010, 12:20 AM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
I agree with BBYWU...wait it out until .2 tuning advances...

enjoy what you have right now as is.... save some cash
and down the road you have peace of mind and money to spend for it.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:27 AM
Harold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud of
Very expensive upgrade for modest gains. There are cheaper ways to get great power from the US tuners.

But for your info, my very close friend has had his 997TT in for the full Techart GT Street conversion- the entire body and their highest level performance kit. The car should be ready within the next 3 weeks and will post pics and impressions for you once I have had a chance to sit in it. Car is looking awesome but I am not going to show him this thread for fear he will cry...

Unfortunately the desire to not show a dyno sheet has me worried for sure!

Last edited by Harold; 06-08-2010 at 03:32 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by Serpentene
I agree with BBYWU...wait it out until .2 tuning advances...

enjoy what you have right now as is.... save some cash
and down the road you have peace of mind and money to spend for it.
Agreed. I will install my BMC filter and Softronic tune.
I will also wait for EuroPipe to release their exhaust for the .2TT and get that when it is released.
After that, I will sit tight and see what develops.
Thanks for your input mate.

Originally Posted by Harold
Very expensive upgrade for modest gains. There are cheaper ways to get great power from the US tuners.

But for your info, my very close friend has had his 997TT in for the full Techart GT Street conversion- the entire body and their highest level performance kit. The car should be ready within the next 3 weeks and will post pics and impressions for you once I have had a chance to sit in it. Car is looking awesome but I am not going to show him this thread for fear he will cry...

Unfortunately the desire to not show a dyno sheet has me worried for sure!
I am happy for your friend. The GT Street body kit is drop dead gorgeous.

I just chose not to be one of the test cases for the tune though, specially with my PDK.
Is your friend's car a .2 PDK?

Old 06-08-2010, 10:47 AM
jiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to all
I would definitely go with champion motorsports war admiral package.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by jiaim
I would definitely go with champion motorsports war admiral package.
It's on my shortlist. I am waiting for them to finish their work on the PDK and show it to the world first.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:58 PM
John H. has a spectacular aura aboutJohn H. has a spectacular aura aboutJohn H. has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by TechArt ******bag
The dyno run sheets with the detailed data are top secret of course. We can't give them to anybody outside the company, sorry. Porsche wouldn't do that either, I suppose ;-) The dyno charts that I sent you are all the performance information I can provide.
So "dyno charts" drawn (incorrectly) in Microsoft Paint are ok to send out, but "dyno run sheets" are "top secret of course". Maybe I should ask for them since I have a Top Secret/SCI security clearance.

And people were touting their aftermarket warranty? wow.

JH

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I Go for It? 620 AWD BHP - TECHART Performance Package