997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport
View Poll Results: Should I pull the trigger?
Yes, incredible deal!
34.38%
No, you're outa your mind!
65.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Should I Go for It? 620 AWD BHP - TECHART Performance Package

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 01:10 PM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
Exclamation Should I Go for It? 620 AWD BHP - TECHART Performance Package

6speeders,

As we all know, TECHART is not just about body kits and aesthetics.
We see their body parts being installed so much that we sometimes overlook the fact that they are also one of the more capable tuners for the Porsche market.

TECHART came out with the following performance package for the new 997.2 TT:

Power-Kit TA 097 / T2
for 997 Turbo starting MY10 with PDK Power upgrade +120 HP, +120Nm Based on 3.8l engine 500HP, 700Nm Consisting of:
- TECHART sport air filter
- TECHART carbon engine styling
- TECHART extractor manifolds
- TECHART exhaust system sport
- TECHART ecu management (replaces OE)
- TECHART Exhaust Tail Pipes, shiny chrome for 997 Turbo Chrome tail pipes, twin oval design, w. TECHART Logo

The resulting performance is as follows:
with PDK:

AWD HP is 620 HP and 605 Lf/ft Torque (dynoed at the wheel performance)
Power Density: 161 Lb Ft/Liter

0 - 100 km/h 3.1 s Normal / 2.9 s Sport
0 - 200 km/h 9.6 s Normal / 9.3 s Sport
Top speed 333 km/h (7th gear)

Dyno chart here:

I have been in contact with TECHART in Germany and the most noteworthy information is as follows:

- They have had their 997.2 TT PDK with their kit installed running for 30,000 Kms and the PDK witnessed NO CLUTCH SLIPPAGE
- They provided with a written warranty on their parts as well as on my engine and gearbox

The cost of all the components shipped international DHL is just under $15,000/-

Now, the questions:

1- Anyone with TECHART power packages installed? Pros and Cons?
2- Should I pull the trigger or do I have better options out there?

Thank you all for chiming in with your opinions.

Last edited by k_ddsl; 05-28-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:15 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Not knowing much about what's available for the .2, but Techart thus far isn't widely known for their performance upgrades. Lots of money for modest gains, particularly compared to the other big names in the tuning business. This may very well be a good package performance-wise, but my guess is the cost will be astronomical and not worth the gains.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:17 PM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bonehead
Not knowing much about what's available for the .2, but Techart thus far isn't widely known for their performance upgrades. Lots of money for modest gains, particularly compared to the other big names in the tuning business. This may very well be a good package performance-wise, but my guess is the cost will be astronomical and not worth the gains.
ED,

Cost is $15,000/-
You get written warranty on your engine and gearbox.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:24 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by k_ddsl
ED,

Cost is $15,000/-
You get written warranty on your engine and gearbox.
Just re-read your first post. So, essentially, you're buying an exhaust, headers, ECU flash and some cosmetic bits for 120 crank hp @$15,000? Get the cosmetic bits (Techart is king for aesthetics!) but I'd look elsewhere for performance.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:34 PM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
just re-read your first post. So, essentially, you're buying an exhaust, headers, ecu flash and some cosmetic bits for 120 crank hp @$15,000? Get the cosmetic bits (techart is king for aesthetics!) but i'd look elsewhere for performance.
+ 1!

Old 05-28-2010, 01:39 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
I think you can achieve the same results in performance at about a 30% discount with many other tried and tested tuners.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:45 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
I say go for it! Of course that's like asking a crack addict if it's cool to take another hit...,LOL
fwiw $15K is cheap compared to Ruf, so it's all relative. If it makes you happy do it, life is too short.

Last edited by TT Gasman; 05-28-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:45 PM
Just re-read your first post. So, essentially, you're buying an exhaust, headers, ECU flash and some cosmetic bits for 120 crank hp @$15,000? Get the cosmetic bits (Techart is king for aesthetics!) but I'd look elsewhere for performance.
Originally Posted by alex55
+ 1!
Originally Posted by GotBoost?
I think you can achieve the same results in performance at about a 30% discount with many other tried and tested tuners.
Ok, so assuming the 30% premium holds, that would work out to $5,000/-

Would you think that the warranty on the engine and gearbox is worth the $5,000/- premium? Remember that this is the DFI engine and PDK gearbox. Untested entities at these power levels.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:47 PM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
What a waste of money, its an ecu, and exhaust, wtf?? 15k??

Old 05-28-2010, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by TT Gasman
Of course that's like asking a crack addict if it's cool to take another hit...,LOL

Originally Posted by TT Gasman
fwiw $15 is cheap compared to Ruf, so it's all relative. If it makes you happy do it, life is too short.
Exactly! The added value in the super premium for Ruf was the warranty.
In this case, I have an expressed written warranty on the engine and gearbox for 2 years and unlimited milage!

Old 05-28-2010, 03:20 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by k_ddsl
Ok, so assuming the 30% premium holds, that would work out to $5,000/-

Would you think that the warranty on the engine and gearbox is worth the $5,000/- premium? Remember that this is the DFI engine and PDK gearbox. Untested entities at these power levels.
I would ask to see the written warranty up front before doing anything.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:36 PM
SpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond repute
bro u r going techart cuz u dont lose ur porsche dealer warranty, right?

Old 05-28-2010, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by SpunkyQ8
bro u r going techart cuz u dont lose ur porsche dealer warranty, right?
Hey Bro! How's your trip going? I hope you're having some fun with the belly dancers after your course work hours!

The answer is no. You will lose the Porsche warranty even with TECHART, as with Ruf.

However, and as with Ruf, TECHART will pick up the warranty for 2 years, unlimited milage, should anything go wrong.

An herein lies the dilema...

I am believer in the excellent value US tuners are providing. People like Todd Knighton at Protomotive, and Champion Motorsports and their pioneering work on the PDK, etc...

But that 2 years warranty from TECHART sure sounds sweet...

Old 05-28-2010, 03:46 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
If they are truly giving you a warranty, I really don't think $15k is that bad.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
If they are truly giving you a warranty, I really don't think $15k is that bad.
Their export director for the Middle East region sent me an email confirming the warranty for 2 years, unlimited milage on engine and gearbox and all their parts.

He then sent me the contract terms and conditions. It covers warranty work on engine and gearbox.
The kit will have to be installed by an approved center that they will nominate, maybe P dealer here.
Any replaced components become their property and they will want them for analysis work, but only *after* repair work is done, and not as a pre-condition.

Now, having said that, the biggest question is, how tough will it be to actually get them to approve warranty work and how steadfastly will they stand behind their warranty?

Don't really feel like being a guinea pig

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I Go for It? 620 AWD BHP - TECHART Performance Package