997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.2TT Tubi Race

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 09:04 AM
travisr100 is infamous around these parts
997.2TT Tubi Race

I called Champion last week about a Tubi exhaust for my 2010 997.2TT. They told me the street version wasn't out yet and all they had was the race version. They told me that the race version does away with the cat. I'm in TX and I'm worried about getting an inspection sticker without the cat. They hook us up to a computer to test emissions. Anyone have experience with this?

Is the race version considerably louder than the street version? I'm looking for a little more volume in the higher rpms but want to retain the neighbor friendly sound of the stock system.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:41 AM
nelgner is infamous around these parts
If your looking for an exhaust slightly louder than stock, FVD has a couple of versions. They have a TUV certified version that is about 80-85 Db (stock I believe is 70-75 Db). Then they have a sound version which is about 90-95 Db at idle and under 4k RPM. Both come with 200 cell cats so you shouldn't have a problem with certification (definitely with the TUV version). They also have a race version which is the same as the sound version minus the cats which are super loud.

I ended up going with the sound version after much deliberation and calls to Rhonda at FVD. I went with FVD because at the time (about a month and a half ago; there were no systems released yet officially and I found the Tubi on my cayenne has a little drone on the highway so I wanted to try a different company. I also got the headers as well and I am very impressed with the final product. When you first start the car on cold start up it is super loud almost too loud (however I park in a parking garage so it is rather amusing to start the car). After about a minute and the cats warm up the RPMs drop to normal and its barely louder than stock at idle. When you drive away it has a very good balance of sound (not too loud, not too quiet).

I drive over 100 Km a day for work so I'm in the car a lot so I wanted a system that wouldn't aggravate me eventually. The FVD system has no drone on the highway and when the windows are up its almost at stock noise levels in the cabin. Sometimes I forget I have the exhaust done, but then I move to pass a car and then you get the growl that the car should of had from factory. In and around town it has a great balance as well. Under 4k RPM, it has a great growl that isn't imposing to you and people around the car; and if you want to get people's attention let the car go over 5k and it definitely gets loud.

Hopefully my experience has helped and depending on whether you have a coupe or convertible I would recommend the sound version for coupe and TUV version for the convertible.

If you have any other questions about FVD; Rhonda is your best bet for answering your questions, and don't hesitate to send me a msg. I don't have any sound files of the car unfortunately; Rhonda has definitely been on me for getting her one

Old 06-05-2010, 01:42 PM
jiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to all
Originally Posted by travisr100
I called Champion last week about a Tubi exhaust for my 2010 997.2TT. They told me the street version wasn't out yet and all they had was the race version. They told me that the race version does away with the cat. I'm in TX and I'm worried about getting an inspection sticker without the cat. They hook us up to a computer to test emissions. Anyone have experience with this?

Is the race version considerably louder than the street version? I'm looking for a little more volume in the higher rpms but want to retain the neighbor friendly sound of the stock system.

Shouldn't be long time for the 997.2 street tubi

Old 06-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Former Vendor
Sales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to behold
We currently offer the Tubi "Race" Exhaust for the new 997.2 platform. Our customers have been very pleased with the results since the DFI power plant is much tamer then the previous 997.1 (GT1 block). The words "Race" is used since this is a catless system however please do not misconstrue that with SUPER LOUD =)

The street version is approximately 3-4 weeks out.