997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Anyone know how old "Slate Gray" is?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 09:41 AM
RickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone know how old "Slate Gray" is?

I watched "48 Hours" (w/Nick Nolte & Eddy Murphy) last night and it looked like Eddy Murphy's characters 356 Porsche (sweet car) was slate gray. Was that a factory color back then as well? Anyone know...

I do know Steve McQueen owned a 69 & 70 911 that was State Grey (non metallic.) He sold the 70 and kept the 69 (for whatever reason.) The 70 was a special edition "S" model and can be seen in his movie "LeMans."

I heard a tale of Steve taking the new 69 home and him spinning the car on an on/off ramp on the 405 freeway. The car wasn't damaged though. I'm sure Steve probably soiled his linens though!

Old 06-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Cant give you the answer on that but Slate grey is the best grey ive ever seen on a 997tt by a long shot. Its stunning in the flesh. I know its also a special order colour option too.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Porsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to behold
I cant answer that question....I love my Slate Grey.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:48 AM
L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !
I just picked one up yesterday. Yippe! Went in to buy a black and was absolutely drawn to this grey pcar.

To answer the question, Slate is an old factory color on the 356. It first showed in 1960 Porsche number 6001.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:51 AM
RickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by L8Apex
I just picked one up yesterday. Yippe! Went in to buy a black and was absolutely drawn to this grey pcar.
You know the rules... pics... or it don't count!!!

Last edited by RickEager; 06-07-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:53 AM
To answer the question, Slate is an old factory color on the 356. It first showed in 1960 Porsche number 6001.
Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for!

Old 06-07-2010, 08:26 PM
L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RickEager@***.n
You know the rules... pics... or it don't count!!!
Tough crowd! Here ya go crappy cell phone pics: The camera does not do the color justice at all.

Attached Images    

Last edited by L8Apex; 06-07-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Tough crowd! Here ya go crappy cell phone pics: The camera does not do the color justice at all.
Thanks! SWEET CAR!!!

Old 06-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Slate Grey was originally introduced by Porsche for the 1966 model. It was stopped and reintroduced starting in 1989 model year, and has continued since, though a formula change was instituted during some of these years.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)
Slate Grey was originally introduced by Porsche for the 1966 model. It was stopped and reintroduced starting in 1989 model year, and has continued since, though a formula change was instituted during some of these years.
The formula change may have been the addition of the metallic flake... Thanks Eric!

Old 06-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)

I disagree. 1960 was the original slate on the 356. It was the first color on the 1960 palette hence the Porsche Color number 6001 (first 2 digits year last 2 color)

If I'm right, do I get a discount at BumperPlugs.com?

Last edited by L8Apex; 06-08-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:42 PM
SonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of light
Apex,

If you got it from McKenna you are very lucky as I offered them $78k 2 weeks ago however wasn't fast enough... they sold it before I could react. Nice car, specially the color with bronze metalic flakes. Good luck !!!!

Old 06-09-2010, 07:36 AM
I disagree. 1960 was the original slate on the 356. It was the first color on the 1960 palette hence the Porsche Color number 6001 (first 2 digits year last 2 color)
Thanks! That is good to know!

Old 06-09-2010, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by SonicKrack
Apex,

If you got it from McKenna you are very lucky as I offered them $78k 2 weeks ago however wasn't fast enough... they sold it before I could react. Nice car, specially the color with bronze metalic flakes. Good luck !!!!
Thanks Sonic! Honestly, I had know intention of buying a car that day but after seeing/driving it, going over it with a fine tooth comb and the seeing the option list it was a deal I could not walk away from. My wife actually said..get it now. Whoever ordered/owned it took extremely good care of it and got every opt that I could want. the cpo helped too.

I thought you were getting the Maserati?

Old 06-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by RickEager@***.n
Thanks! That is good to know!
Rick, I'm kinda a nut for porsche nostalgia. I was looking at a dolphin grey 356 years ago at dunkle bros and got hooked. Here is the original color chart from porsche for model year 1960 slate is the first color on the list:

BTW, my favorite color was introduced in 1957 Acquamarin Blue it's gorgeous.

Attached Images   

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone know how old "Slate Gray" is?