997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

$460 Oil Change at Paul Miller Porsche in NJ

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 06:59 PM
Vaino has a spectacular aura aboutVaino has a spectacular aura about
$460 Oil Change at Paul Miller Porsche in NJ

Okay, I got sucker punched by my local dealer Paul Miller. First visit with the Turbo I had the car in to have a failed sensor repaired under warranty. I took the call from them while in a meeting, and asked if I wanted to have the oil changed. I knew she was due, so I said yes, thinking how much could fifteen minute work be. Afterall, the turbo is the easiest car I have every owned for oil changes. No bellpans, etc. Couple of hours later I get the word my car is ready, and the Total is $462! First reaction was they were charging me for the repair, but no it was only for the Oil Change.
Me: "How it could be 462 for all of 15 minutes work.
Dealer "Well, the Oil is over $100 by itself".
Me: Then what was the other $300 for? Is your labor rate $1200 per hour?"
Dealer "Well its a Turbo so it costs more."

The bill itself doesn't list time, only a code CP250, for $250 in labor, but $150 in parts.
So the morale of the story is ask first, and realize there are dealers out there which charge not because of the time/effort for the work, but because they think they can charge whatever they can get away with.
Hope this post will be a warning to other owners to be careful!

I've posted this in a couple of forums, as I don't want anyone else to learn the hard way.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:10 PM
BGolden is infamous around these parts
That's weak on their part. Good looking out of others.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:20 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Vaino
Okay, I got sucker punched by my local dealer Paul Miller. First visit with the Turbo I had the car in to have a failed sensor repaired under warranty. I took the call from them while in a meeting, and asked if I wanted to have the oil changed. I knew she was due, so I said yes, thinking how much could fifteen minute work be. Afterall, the turbo is the easiest car I have every owned for oil changes. No bellpans, etc. Couple of hours later I get the word my car is ready, and the Total is $462! First reaction was they were charging me for the repair, but no it was only for the Oil Change.
Me: "How it could be 462 for all of 15 minutes work.
Dealer "Well, the Oil is over $100 by itself".
Me: Then what was the other $300 for? Is your labor rate $1200 per hour?"
Dealer "Well its a Turbo so it costs more."

The bill itself doesn't list time, only a code CP250, for $250 in labor, but $150 in parts.
So the morale of the story is ask first, and realize there are dealers out there which charge not because of the time/effort for the work, but because they think they can charge whatever they can get away with.
Hope this post will be a warning to other owners to be careful!

I've posted this in a couple of forums, as I don't want anyone else to learn the hard way.
I've done dozens of oil changes on my old 996TT and 997TT...it certainly takes more than 15 minutes...and I can see how oil and filter parts can cost about $60-70, but it still leaves labor at $400.

There was recently a thread on the 997 forum discussing the merits of paying more to establish a good relationship with the dealer. I don't really subscribe to that theory and in this case, I believe you got taken.

Last edited by bbywu; 06-05-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:23 PM
MkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud of
wow...I feel your pain dude...I too learned the hard way when I took it in for the first oil change...never again...I changed it myself now & it cost 1/3 less than $462

Old 06-05-2010, 07:34 PM
dma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond repute
I change the oil on my performance cars, but the honda and beemer get their $100 oil changes. I wonder if they could deny warranty if they did not do the service themselves and do any software resets necessary / stamp your warranty book?

Old 06-05-2010, 08:05 PM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
that's what is cost in New york...1st service was about that much..it's more than just the oil...it's overall inspection, parts lubrication...etc.

It's an "exotic"...and therefore charges for an exotic "premium" at least at the stealerships...

Old 06-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Tacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these parts
It's the whole "car cost more" so we can screw you on the servic charge! I love Poreche don't get me wrong but the gouging should stop at the manufacturer, should not continue to the dealer. Even when I'm making $2 Million a month on subscriptions there is no way in hell I will be paying that much.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:05 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
I just bought a 996tt the other week and changed the oil myself today. Got 9 quarts of Mobil 1 0w40 at Walmart for $6.50 each, and a $18 wix filter at O'rileys. Took about one hour, but I was using a floor jack and this was the first time I did it and I was following an online guide and being patient for 20 minutes during engine and oil pan drains. I am not the type of person who loves to work on cars, but this is such a menial, quick job that the money Porsche charges is highway robbery. Even if I had eight figures in the bank, I'd perhaps change my own oil out of principle b/c it just pisses me off when I feel like I'm being taken advantage of.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:14 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
The first oil change usually includes the front bumper removal and cleaning around the radiators. Newport Beach charges $600 for the first oil change.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:49 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
i paid $430 the first time i changed the oil.
it took about 45 minutes to let all the oil completely drain out, there are 4 places the oil is drained from... replaced with mobil 1
i now currently pay $250 for an oil change through the shop i use

Old 06-06-2010, 06:33 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Recently got a coupon from my dealer for 2 changes at half price (they don't mention what full price is on the coupon though LOL). Had the car in for something else and they reminded me about the coupon. It was time anyway, so I said sure. I think it came to about $179.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:49 AM
F360C is infamous around these parts
I am not a fan of Paul Miller... We have been ripped off in the past by them. After going there for one service we switched to getting all our non warrenty work done by ProtoSport. Their mechanics are much more knowledgeabl and don't stick it to you just because you have an expensive car.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:46 AM
Vaino has a spectacular aura aboutVaino has a spectacular aura about
They didn't do any other work. The radiator still had a few large leaves in it. I'm going to speak to the service manager on Monday. Trade Commision laws are pretty strict in regards to publishing the cost of labor per hour, and the hours worked for the repair. Neither is on the reciept. Only the catch-all CP250

Old 06-06-2010, 08:19 AM
cohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud of
you should also show them this thread...not good p.r. for the dealership...good luck with them.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:34 AM
AlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant future
Carousel Porsche in Minneapolis charges $136. Change your dealer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: $460 Oil Change at Paul Miller Porsche in NJ