997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Turbo with Gt2 RS engine ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Banned
gt2turbo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DBV
Obviously the guy doesn't know that the GT2 RS will only have a production run of 500 units. I applaud the OP's enthusiasm and optimism, but it will be much more of a headache and PITA to transplant the GT2RS engine into a 997.2 Turbo.
I don't see what relevance the number of GT2 RS's they make has. It's not like I was going to take the engine from an already assembled car. No, I was wondering if, given that they've already put that engine in the old turbo, the porsche engineers would fit AT CUSTOMER DEMAND the same kind of engine on the facelifted model. Knowing that this engine is now currently produced for the GT2 RS, I don't see why they couldn't do it. It's not like I'm asking them something over the top, or something they didn't do before, is it ?

Maybe find a leftover 997tt with the GT based motor??
Maybe, but I think I would much rather have a brand new engine in my brand new car not to mention 620 bhp sounds WAAAY better than 480 (or even 530 for that matter, as you find in the current turbo S), don't you think ?

That being said, I still smell a troll...
so if I ask a question I'm a troll ?? please..

Last edited by gt2turbo; 06-09-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Banned
If you dont like the sound, put a aftermarket exhaust on and be done with it.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
have you not watched the videos from the previous page ? There was one with a modified 997.2 turbo, with an aftermarket exhaust...and yes, it still sounded like crap. The point is, if the base engine sounds nasty, fitting an aftermarket exhaust will only enhance the nastyness. So no, I don't think that fitting an aftermarket exhaust will solve the problem..

<!-- controls -->

Last edited by gt2turbo; 06-09-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:53 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gt2turbo
have you not watched the videos from the previous page ? There was one with a modified 997.2 turbo, with an aftermarket exhaust...and yes, it still sounded like crap. The point is, if the base engine sounds nasty, fitting an aftermarket exhaust will only enhance the nastyness. So no, I don't think that fitting an aftermarket exhaust will solve the problem..

<!-- controls -->
watching the video tells me how it sounds...on my little Creative Labs speakers, not in real life. Hope you're not denying the new engine based on the way it sounds on your computer speakers.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Accepted a turbo engine will never sound as good as a 8400rpm atmo P engine but thats no reason to go and ruin a perfectly good car.

I couldnt even imagine the hit you would take at sell time for doing that. But then again if you are a CEO of a bank and money is no object then i guess why not. You could even take the roof off with an angle grinder too and transform it into a convertible.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Tacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DBV
Obviously the guy doesn't know that the GT2 RS will only have a production run of 500 units. I applaud the OP's enthusiasm and optimism, but it will be much more of a headache and PITA to transplant the GT2RS engine into a 997.2 Turbo.

To the OP: Why not get on the phone with Champion Motorsports and have them make you a "War Admiral"? It will probably end up being more cost efficient and easier.

That being said, I still smell a troll...
Not to mention a faster street weapon, off the line; not around a track, especially after Champion gets that modified PDK tranny up and running with their stage 2 system. Hope to finally see them clock 0 to 60 in 2.4 with it, finally quicker than the Bugatti!!!

Old 06-09-2010, 06:43 PM
kwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Bigrigger
If you dont like the sound, put a aftermarket exhaust on and be done with it.
...no doubt boo.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:23 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
The PDK is physically too large and doesn't fit the old Mezger engine so there is no way you can mate the two. Even with enough money to throw at it you might not be able to re-engineer a solution.

Personally I think there are better sounding exhausts available (my favorite is Europipe) than what I hear from the GT2 RS clip.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:05 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
I find the new DI engine too clinical, or souless.?!
lol...

Old 06-09-2010, 09:06 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ruf_turbo
Personally I think there are better sounding exhausts available (my favorite is Europipe) than what I hear from the GT2 RS clip.
Bezt exhaust sound evar...

Old 06-09-2010, 09:11 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu

Where DO you get these things?

Old 06-09-2010, 09:34 PM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu

Yep! That exhaust is guaranteed to put a smile on your face:

Old 06-09-2010, 11:56 PM
FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !
I think too much ignorance is mis-guiding your decisions. Can't you tell the DFI in your video is stock exhaust vs a modified exhaust in your second clip? Pretty much all stock 997.1 or.2 turbos are lacking in the exhaust note until you change the exhuast.

PS, your decision to get a PDK vs 6speed would be more "uninspiring"

yes, the engine note..

Believe me, I don't have to personally drive a car to know if i like the sound it makes or not...all I can say is that I've seen many clips of the new 911 turbo and in all of them it sounded "uninspiring" to say the least. Just listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc73d...eature=related

or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjaSj...eature=related

And now compare with gt2 sound from above! As you can see (or hear), and as many others have noted, these DFI engines are not particulary melodious; in fact they're downright flat sounding, and not very pleasant to the ears. And that, for many of the 911's potential buyers, is a major deal breaker. Are you reading this porsche ??

Old 06-10-2010, 12:27 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Please, don't laugh I want to buy a brand new 911 turbo but I find the new DI engine too clinical, or souless. The recently launched gt2 RS has the right engine but it's far to expensive for my budget. Plus it's manual trans only. So I was wondering, is it possible from a technical point of view to fit the 3.6 Metzger engine into the facelifted turbo (which has now moved to 3.8) ? If so, how much would that cost ?!
This is surely an ambit thread....cant be anything but.

And you say please dont laugh? Cmon this is all just one big silly joke so just come clean and admit it.

A PDK Turbo with no soul and you dont want a manual tranny either . Of course its going to be bloody clinical!!!
Its about as fast and idiot proof as a supercar can get. But it definately has soul....thats for certain. And if the exhaust is such an issue then stick a goddamned exhaust on it and get on with it!!!

Post us the pics and until then no more silly talk please.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:16 AM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
yes, the engine note..

Believe me, I don't have to personally drive a car to know if i like the sound it makes or not...all I can say is that I've seen many clips of the new 911 turbo and in all of them it sounded "uninspiring" to say the least. Just listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc73d...eature=related

or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjaSj...eature=related

And now compare with gt2 sound from above! As you can see (or hear), and as many others have noted, these DFI engines are not particulary melodious; in fact they're downright flat sounding, and not very pleasant to the ears. And that, for many of the 911's potential buyers, is a major deal breaker. Are you reading this porsche ??
Don't have to drive one...
Gotta love those arm chair,magazine reading, critics

Last edited by pepper09tt; 06-10-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by ruf_turbo
The PDK is physically too large and doesn't fit the old Mezger engine so there is no way you can mate the two. Even with enough money to throw at it you might not be able to re-engineer a solution.
Can you please tell where did you get this info from ? Because I'm pretty sure (from what I've read in various magazines) that the reason why porsche doesn't offer the PDK in the GT models is not because it doesn't fit, but because "it's too heavy" (30 kilos or so more heavy than the manual trans), and they wanted to keep the weight as low as possible:

"Weight savings are obviously among the primary objectives in this environment and, to this end, the latest double-clutch PDK transmission was not considered for the GT3.
Racers, and, in-turn, owners, are spared the additional 30 kilograms that this technology would add to the already laden rear-end and instead, are left free to play with a heavily-weighted clutch pedal and six mechanically precise, DIY forward speeds."

http://www.carmag.co.za/article/pors...gt3-2010-04-12

Link please ?

Originally Posted by testjet
I think too much ignorance is mis-guiding your decisions. Can't you tell the DFI in your video is stock exhaust vs a modified exhaust in your second clip?
I'm pretty sure I have already mentioned that Yes, it's a modified exhaust, and I have posted the clip just to show you that the engine still sounds "wrong" even with an aftermarket exhaust ! So you can spare me with the exhaust BS :P

Pretty much all stock 997.1 or.2 turbos are lacking in the exhaust note until you change the exhuast.
Yes, but unlike the 997.1, which had the metzger engine in it, the new one sounds like crap even after you change the exhaust...just compare THIS to THIS

That, my friend, is the difference between a race-derived engine, and a non-race derived engine..

PS, your decision to get a PDK vs 6speed would be more "uninspiring"
For a daily driver (mostly in city traffic) no, it's not. Oh, and if I were after a track day or weekend car, I wouldn't even look at the turbo, lol.

Last edited by gt2turbo; 06-10-2010 at 09:25 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Turbo with Gt2 RS engine ?