997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Turbo with Gt2 RS engine ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 10:54 AM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gt2turbo
Can you please tell where did you get this info from ? Because I'm pretty sure (from what I've read in various magazines) that the reason why porsche doesn't offer the PDK in the GT models is not because it doesn't fit, but because "it's too heavy" (30 kilos or so more heavy than the manual trans), and they wanted to keep the weight as low as possible:

"Weight savings are obviously among the primary objectives in this environment and, to this end, the latest double-clutch PDK transmission was not considered for the GT3.
Link please ?
As we were talking about fitting PDK to the GT2 I don't understand why you bring the GT3 into the mix. Don't forget the GT3 uses the new DFI engine not the GT1 (Mezger) engine so PDK could fit in the GT3.

Here is the quote:

The other bit of new Porsche technology not considered for the GT3 was the PDK double-clutch gearbox. “Apart from the fact that GT3 drivers want a manual and the GT3’s short shifter selects ratios faster than a normal manual, PDK adds 66 pounds to the wrong end of the car,” offers Preuninger. “Mechanically, it does not fit the GT1 block anyway; a special flange would have to be made. Beyond that, the PDK box is longer and would create a packaging issue.”

You can read the entire article at:
http://www.excellence-mag.com/issues...aracter?page=1

Old 06-10-2010, 10:55 AM
getz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud of
If you want a great exhaust note get a GT3 or GT3RS. Forced induction engines are notorious for having a less than sonorous exhaust note. I am unaware of any race engines that were developed with the intention of sounding great.
-Getz

Old 06-10-2010, 10:58 AM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by getz
I am unaware of any race engines that were developed with the intention of sounding great.
-Getz

Old 06-10-2010, 01:36 PM
Banned
gt2turbo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ruf_turbo
As we were talking about fitting PDK to the GT2 I don't understand why you bring the GT3 into the mix. Don't forget the GT3 uses the new DFI engine not the GT1 (Mezger) engine so PDK could fit in the GT3.
I can't forget something like that, because it's not true
Even in your quote it clearly says that the Gt3 still uses the Gt1 block:

The other bit of new Porsche technology not considered for the GT3 was the PDK double-clutch gearbox. “Apart from the fact that GT3 drivers want a manual and the GT3’s short shifter selects ratios faster than a normal manual, PDK adds 66 pounds to the wrong end of the car,” offers Preuninger. “Mechanically, it does not fit the GT1 block anyway; a special flange would have to be made. Beyond that, the PDK box is longer and would create a packaging issue.”
But anyway, this kind of answers my question: it's not possible to put the Gt2 engine in a car with PDK (without serious modifications). Thanks !

Originally Posted by Getz
If you want a great exhaust note get a GT3 or GT3RS.
Yes, I know, but I'm not looking for a track car...I'm looking for a (somewhat) confortable, practical every day sports car, which also happens to sound great...
I mean, can you really use a GT3 on a daily basis, unless you live in, say, Germany ? so the only other option I have besides the Turbo is the Audi R8, which has a very nice sound, but sadly has a very poor automatic transmission. Oh, and also, it's a bit too flashy for my taste...

Old 06-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Tacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these parts
yes, the engine note..

Believe me, I don't have to personally drive a car to know if i like the sound it makes or not...all I can say is that I've seen many clips of the new 911 turbo and in all of them it sounded "uninspiring" to say the least. Just listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc73d...eature=related

or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjaSj...eature=related

And now compare with gt2 sound from above! As you can see (or hear), and as many others have noted, these DFI engines are not particulary melodious; in fact they're downright flat sounding, and not very pleasant to the ears. And that, for many of the 911's potential buyers, is a major deal breaker. Are you reading this porsche ??
The car hasn't been released yet so to say what has been said about how it will sound does not hold much water. But, it will more than likely less inspired than a GT3 with Sharky Bypass!

Old 06-10-2010, 01:57 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
The car hasn't been released yet so to say what has been said about how it will sound does not hold much water.
What car are you talking about ? The Gt2 RS ?

Old 06-10-2010, 02:09 PM
kwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud of
gt2turbo,

Just curious, what are you currently upgrading from? What type of exhaust note does your current ride have that the bar is being set so high that an engine swap to obtain something greater, would be taken into consideration to top it? Again, just curious. Good luck with your search.

Justin

Old 06-10-2010, 02:30 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
this might be the funniest thread i've read in a long time.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:32 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by E55AMG
this might be the funniest thread i've read in a long time.
Akin to "I want to swap the transmission on my Honda Civic from a automatic to a manual."

Old 06-10-2010, 02:45 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by bbywu
Akin to "I want to swap the transmission on my Honda Civic from a automatic to a manual."

I actually re-read a few of the posts and now my head hurts, damnit

Old 06-10-2010, 02:55 PM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
Originally Posted by ruf_turbo

Here is the quote:

You can read the entire article at:
http://www.excellence-mag.com/issues...aracter?page=1

This is the dumbest post!!!!!! all gt2 and gt3 use the GT1 block. the PDK does not work with the GT1 block. GT2Turbo please do not buy a Porsche. You don't have a clue what your talking about.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by kwei
gt2turbo,

Just curious, what are you currently upgrading from? What type of exhaust note does your current ride have that the bar is being set so high that an engine swap to obtain something greater, would be taken into consideration to top it? Again, just curious.
A SL 63 AMG. And no, that's not a sportcar, more a luxury car that sounds like a sports car But I bought it for the sound alone, it has an amazing note that engine...plus at that time I was looking for a fast cabrio GT not a full-on sports car. So it was either that, either a bmw M6 cab.

Good luck with your search.
Thanks !

Old 06-10-2010, 03:04 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by lardog
GT2Turbo please do not buy a Porsche. You don't have a clue what your talking about.
Why, lol ?

Old 06-10-2010, 03:07 PM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
A SL 63 AMG. ... I bought it for the sound alone ...
Perhaps a better alternative for you to consider:

Old 06-10-2010, 03:09 PM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
Why, lol ?

reread all your posts. You don't know where you live?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Turbo with Gt2 RS engine ?