997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Turbo with Gt2 RS engine ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 08:26 AM
Banned
gt2turbo is infamous around these parts
Turbo with Gt2 RS engine ?

Please, don't laugh I want to buy a brand new 911 turbo but I find the new DI engine too clinical, or souless. The recently launched gt2 RS has the right engine but it's far to expensive for my budget. Plus it's manual trans only. So I was wondering, is it possible from a technical point of view to fit the 3.6 Metzger engine into the facelifted turbo (which has now moved to 3.8) ? If so, how much would that cost ?!

Last edited by gt2turbo; 06-09-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:41 PM
getz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud of
More than the gt2 RS.
-Getz

Old 06-09-2010, 12:47 PM
997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all
Can i ask you WHY?

I went to the dealer and put a down payment for the new Turbo Sm after one week i changed my mind and bought a 2009 GT2 and the Proto kit on the way

I don't want to buy a car and i know that they will change it after 1-2 years

I'm very happy with my choice.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:47 PM
Rec Racing has a spectacular aura aboutRec Racing has a spectacular aura about
Start with what you think it will cost, double it, then multiply by ten. That way you will only be shocked when the final tally comes in.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:24 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by 997John
Can i ask you WHY?

I went to the dealer and put a down payment for the new Turbo Sm after one week i changed my mind and bought a 2009 GT2 and the Proto kit on the way
Because I want a daily car, not a track focused car...and I really want the PDK trans, which is not available on any of the GT's. If it was, I would probably get the GT3 (not the RS version of course).

But as it stands, the only car that fits the bill is the 911 turbo, which sadly has the same engine as the Carrera S (with turbos of course)...the pre-facelift model had the race-derived engine, that is, the Gt2 engine, which had a lot more pedigree and sounded way better than the current one. So that's why I want my turbo with the same engine...maybe I should speak to porsche to make a "turbo RS" version, eh ? They already have a "S", so why not a "RS" ?

Last edited by gt2turbo; 06-09-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:26 PM
theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !
why not just buy a C2S/C4S and get a built motor?

Old 06-09-2010, 01:44 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by getz
More than the gt2 RS.
-Getz
Er, can I ask why ? I mean, it's basically the same freakin' engine they used on the previous turbo, it shouldn't be that hard to install. Or is it ?

Originally Posted by theblue
why not just buy a C2S/C4S and get a built motor?
Sorry i don't understand the "get a built motor" thing, can you be more specific please ? :P

Last edited by gt2turbo; 06-09-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:54 PM
theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !
built motor = having an engine builder rip the stock one apart and rebuild it to make a lot more power through various means.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:58 PM
OCTurbo is infamous around these parts
you should just get a 997.2 turbo or turbo s with pdk and call it a day. what is your problem with the new motor? if you're not tracking your car (which you said you won't), you won't know the difference between the new and old motors, except that the new car is much faster and sounds better in stock form. you are way overthinking this!

Old 06-09-2010, 02:00 PM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
Maybe find a leftover 997tt with the GT based motor??

Old 06-09-2010, 02:05 PM
DBV
DBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud of
Obviously the guy doesn't know that the GT2 RS will only have a production run of 500 units. I applaud the OP's enthusiasm and optimism, but it will be much more of a headache and PITA to transplant the GT2RS engine into a 997.2 Turbo.

To the OP: Why not get on the phone with Champion Motorsports and have them make you a "War Admiral"? It will probably end up being more cost efficient and easier.

That being said, I still smell a troll...

Old 06-09-2010, 02:15 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by theblue
built motor = having an engine builder rip the stock one apart and rebuild it to make a lot more power through various means.
but that's not a porsche engine anymore, is it ?

Originally Posted by OCTurbo
you should just get a 997.2 turbo or turbo s with pdk and call it a day. what is your problem with the new motor?
my only problem with the new motor is that IT SOUNDS LIKE CRAP. I don't like the way it sounds, and that's it.

if you're not tracking your car (which you said you won't), you won't know the difference between the new and old motors, except that the new car is much faster and sounds better in stock form.
how can you say this DI crap sounds better ? than a race engine LOUDER, maybe, better, no way. btw, check this clip, and then tell me which one sounds better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66ow94-K2SA

oh, and as far as I know allmost all magazines who tested the new DI engines said they are lacking character compared to the previous motors..

Old 06-09-2010, 02:41 PM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gt2turbo
oh, and as far as I know allmost all magazines who tested the new DI engines said they are lacking character compared to the previous motors..
What does that mean? Lacking character in what sense? Is it just the engine note or something else?
Have you personally driven a 997.2 Turbo or have you made up your mind and decided that the new DFIs are/sound "crap", "clinical", "soulless" and "lacking character" (whatever that means), as you put it, just from reading articles?

Last edited by k_ddsl; 06-09-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:22 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by k_ddsl
What does that mean? Lacking character in what sense? Is it just the engine note or something else?
yes, the engine note..

Have you personally driven a 997.2 Turbo or have you made up your mind and decided that the new DFIs are/sound "crap", "clinical", "soulless" and "lacking character" (whatever that means), as you put it, just from reading articles?
Believe me, I don't have to personally drive a car to know if i like the sound it makes or not...all I can say is that I've seen many clips of the new 911 turbo and in all of them it sounded "uninspiring" to say the least. Just listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc73d...eature=related

or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjaSj...eature=related

And now compare with gt2 sound from above! As you can see (or hear), and as many others have noted, these DFI engines are not particulary melodious; in fact they're downright flat sounding, and not very pleasant to the ears. And that, for many of the 911's potential buyers, is a major deal breaker. Are you reading this porsche ??

Last edited by gt2turbo; 06-09-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Bigrigger has a spectacular aura aboutBigrigger has a spectacular aura about
If you dont like the sound, put a aftermarket exhaust on and be done with it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Turbo with Gt2 RS engine ?