997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Official APR Tuned 997TT FAQ Thread......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 01:40 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
Speed21...
I really dont know why you dont believe my boost levels...However i saw what i wanted from these 2 dyno plots...Difference in hp and torque...difference that can tell 6,48 my car needs for 60-130...
Well done Matthew the difference in torque and hp is amazing...
Dont look at the numbers,they are a product of how each dyno is calibrated.when I tune a car I never care of absolute numbers,i just care for defferences before and after the tuning...This is what the customer will see on the road...

Old 06-12-2010, 01:44 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GMP - Matthew
Someone also mentioned about 997TT being ME7.8.1 and not 7.1.1 as I mentioned. As I stated, I wasn't going to bother the engineers for specifics and have some technical nomenclature incorrect.
Actually, Keith references 7.1.5 in his original quote, not 7.1.1.
The 997T is ME7.1.5 which was first introduced in the VW R32 in 2003 and Audi S4 in 2004 (remember to think globally as in when the models were released first in Europe 1-2 years prior to the North American market typically).

ME7.1.5 contains approximately 1500 interlaced load dependent maps. We calibrate approximately 250 maps per Octane Specific Calibration. This can be compared to an average difference of 6-25 different map changes amongst our competition.
If he isn't going to bother engineers for specifics and post incorrect technical specs, then it becomes difficult to lend credence to his response.

Last edited by bbywu; 06-12-2010 at 01:57 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:59 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
[quote=skandalis447;2872540]Speed21...

I really dont know why you dont believe my boost levels...

quote]

Skandalis please understand that sooner or later it has to be established why such discrepancy exists between what you say and what APR and GMP say regarding boost.

I have no axe to grind or beef with you at all so please understand that. Im sure you are a really great guy but we all deserve to know whats going on here Skandalis. If you go right back to some of your earlier posts on other threads (cant remember the name of the thread...you may recall?) where you posted your 60 to 130 times and, following your post there was somewhat misbelief expressed from certain members and, the topic of your boost arose.
From that point onward this APR thread really began and those out there that have the understanding of what makes power in a 3.6 engine all question this 1 bar claim of yours. You simply cant make that level of torque and HP increase from just fuel spark and timming skandalis and even APR state 19 to 20psi so what gives???

I agree on one thing. We need an official response to your 1 bar boost claim to put this issue to bed once and for all.

Can you copy/paste your durametric data log showing this? Also what brand of mechanical guage did you use and where did you tap into. How did you watch the gauge? The engine sits at the very back so there would need to be a pipe all the way from the rear engine bar to where you sit. Would You really have gone to that much trouble? If you have then thanks but please give us some detail on that.

Also....that oil sample analysis. Im curious on those findings. Any chance of a copy paste on the document too?

Last edited by speed21; 06-12-2010 at 02:01 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:37 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
Actually, Keith references 7.1.5 in his original quote, not 7.1.1.

If he isn't going to bother engineers for specifics and post incorrect technical specs, then it becomes difficult to lend credence to his response.
+1. Couldn't agree more. One cannot over stress the importance of correctness and accuracy = credibility.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:32 PM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
speed21...I really cant see any reason for me to keep up this conversation.Its your opinion not to believe my boost levels and probably my verified 60-130 time.On the other hand,i have no reason to write false data about boost...Because i dont really care what boost my car runs at...Please understand that I did not pay for the tune,it came with the car so I dont have any reason to support it just to think my money were placed on the best tune...I did all measurements of pressure in order to check out if my boost gauge was locked and not to convince you or any onetr about my cars boost levels...either way, I still have the fastest 997TT with stock turbos...So if you like another tune go ahead...But you will be around 1,5sec slower in 60-130 time...
P.S. about oil analysis everythimg was in order and if you read my thread about that you will see what was the problem...(read it it may happen to any 997TT).I will pm you oil analysis in order not to hijack this thread...

Old 06-12-2010, 01:55 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by skandalis447
speed21...I really cant see any reason for me to keep up this conversation.Its your opinion not to believe my boost levels and probably my verified 60-130 time.On the other hand,i have no reason to write false data about boost...Because i dont really care what boost my car runs at...Please understand that I did not pay for the tune,it came with the car so I dont have any reason to support it just to think my money were placed on the best tune...I did all measurements of pressure in order to check out if my boost gauge was locked and not to convince you or any onetr about my cars boost levels...either way, I still have the fastest 997TT with stock turbos...So if you like another tune go ahead...But you will be around 1,5sec slower in 60-130 time...
P.S. about oil analysis everythimg was in order and if you read my thread about that you will see what was the problem...(read it it may happen to any 997TT).I will pm you oil analysis in order not to hijack this thread...
There is just no reasonable way to make that much more power and torque without MORE BOOST!!! That's why the topic has been beaten on so much. I know you've stated that you don't know how APR works and you don't care as long as it does work but that's just not good enough for many of us to believe without questions. I wonder if there are other mods to your car that you aren't aware of.

If you look at any industry out there where there are multiple options for performance enhancement you would see that people flock to the one that offers the best bang for the buck. If the 60-130 in the 6.5-7s range is verified by other members with exhaust and just APR ECU mod on pump gas (like you use, even if it is equivalent to 95 US octane) then why on earth would anyone mod the turbos or add bigger intercoolers etc...???

I'm sure the truth will come out in the near future. I second what speed21 stated (that he had no axe to grind with APR). Of course there is no axe to grind, but when a company makes really bold claims then they better back them up with more than flowery words.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Banned
Robin@EPL is infamous around these parts
For what it's worth, we dyno these 997TTs in 3rd gear as well. A 4th gear pull takes too long and heatsoaks the car, distorting the results.

As long as the dyno loads the car properly in 3rd gear, it's just fine for a pull.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by skandalis447
Skandalis its your call whether you wish to be further involved here. No one is holding a gun to your head. I just thought that given you are central to one of the main questions here regarding this APR tune you would be willing to oblige the request of providing your durametric dat log read out to confirm your boost claim. That would do two things. Firstly it would clear up for the 6speeders involved in this dicussion (and the many hundreds reading from the sidelines) that the 1 bar boost you claim is in fact the case. Secondly, if it was formally established that what you say is in fact 100% correct it would then shift the boost question firmly back to APR for an answer why your tune only produces max 1 bar when they now have clearly stated that their tune is the same globally for all countries.

In so far as me personally believing your acceleration times i have no doubts that what you say is correct. You have afterall had this time verified. If you say you have no reason to make false claims over your boost then surely it would be no problem for you to allow all involved in this passionate discussion to be able to check you bonafides, similarly as what occured with your 60 to 130 times.

The oil sample was more so for my own interest however reflecting back over this thread TTdude had also raised question over the cause of the noise in your engine as being possibly associated to the APR tune. So, that said, you would not be hijacking this thread at all by copy pasting it here, more so clearing up for those others here who may also have thought the same as TT and clearing up the APR tune as well. Im sure Keith/APR and Matthew from GMP would both appreciate that as well.

Skandalis Im just being thorough here so to knock out all questions being raised over the APR tune and i thought that you of all people would be happy to oblige. If you are not, that is your decision, but in saying that it will leave a very dark cloud over your boost claims. Sorry..

Last edited by speed21; 06-12-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:23 PM
getz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud of
I am unsure if anyone sees the obvious, but Skandalis has been secretly running a spiralmax.
http://www.spiralmax.com/
What is SpiralMax <SUP>® </SUP>?

SpiralMax
® is a combination vortex generator, velocity stack, and venturi, made of stainless steel, installed in the air path, that extends the resident time between gas and air, maximizing vaporization for better combustion. It's beneficial for the engine, and is compatible and enhances the performance of all common aftermarket products, it is synergistic.

Installation is simple and easy. If you can put a hub cap on, you can install the SpiralMax ®. The primary unit is placed in front of the throttle body intake on EFI cars, inside the intake tube or aftermarket intake. For carburetor and TBI cars, it is placed after the air filter and around the intake.
The feeling is dramatic and instant, most drivers experience it on the first drive around the block. It will work with any internal combustion engine, gas or diesel. SpiralMax<SUP> </SUP>®, is a computer designed non-moving part that swirls the air, and vaporizes the fuel for near complete combustion, maximum efficiency, doing what the engine was designed to do.
SpiralMax<SUP> </SUP>®, is good for all cars. Besides giving you instant pickup and power, it will clean out and reduce carbon build-up, you will have longer lasting spark plugs, smoother running car, and reduced vibration and engine noise. You get more torque, acceleration, and better fuel economy. How is this done? Through better combustion. It is easy to install and typically takes less than (3) three minutes, do-it-yourself with just basic tools. </STRONG>. . .
Typical range of improvement over baseline is:

<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><!--msthemelist--><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42></TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->
0 to 35 increase in horsepower,
<!--mstheme-->
<!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42></TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->
0 to 31% increase in fuel economy.
<!--mstheme-->
<!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--></TBODY></TABLE><!--mstheme-->
(Actual performance may vary, depending on type of car, driver, and actual driving conditions.)
Features:
  1. SpiralMax<SUP></SUP>®<SUP></SUP>is a patented, new invention, and has been tested on thousands of cars, over millions of miles.
    <LI style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">
    SpiralMax<SUP> </SUP>®has the California Air Resource Board EOD 400-6 number which makes itlegal to advertise, sell and install on all internal combustion engines for any vehicle, will not void new car warranty, it is street legal in all (50) fifty states of the United States of America.
  2. SpiralMax<SUP> </SUP>®<SUP> </SUP>requires no maintenance and is made of HD stainless steel, and will last longer than your car.
  3. Installation is typically under (3) three minutes, and very easy with just basic tools.
  4. Sold with a (30) thirty day(free trial), no questions asked, money back guarantee (less shipping, handling charge, and foreign country duties and tariffs are not refundable.) and lifetime warranty to the retail buyer on the original car installed. The Life Time Warranty is limited to even exchange of the product

Old 06-12-2010, 08:06 PM
Tides is infamous around these parts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by getz
I am unsure if anyone sees the obvious, but Skandalis has been secretly running a spiralmax.
http://www.spiralmax.com/

[/left][/list]

I'm not convinced - nice try though !!

Old 06-13-2010, 01:59 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Robin@EPL
For what it's worth, we dyno these 997TTs in 3rd gear as well. A 4th gear pull takes too long and heatsoaks the car, distorting the results.

As long as the dyno loads the car properly in 3rd gear, it's just fine for a pull.
I think most tuners on this forum use 4th gear pulls for better accuracy along with proper cooling as explained by Champion. Just look at all of Evoms' dynos and others as well.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:31 AM
tclayj is infamous around these parts
Please !

Originally Posted by speed21
Chris Im not saying they have or they havent as there simply isnt any feedback out there for any P owner to be able to make that determination at this stage in the game.

P owners may well be able to accept the APR product in a better light if it was associated to higher end market brands such as Lamborghini, Ferrari, and Bugatti however that is not the case. Instead APR's P tune is comming off the the back of lower end car brands such as Audi and VW.

Its a bit like Hyundai standing up on their soapbox and lording to the world how they have now mastered the tuning principles for the Ferrari brand and be now automatically qualified to be taken seriously as the grand masters of the tuning world for the Ferrari brand. Then there is the other aspect of putting a stupid high price on the tune in a bid to add some form of credibility. A hard slog as i believe APR is (and has) been having with the P fraternity with their P tune.

P owners are having a very hard time swallowing the story.

Then there is the Skandalis palava on boost which isnt helping APR at all.

Need i say more..
You might have a point. My Ego had a hard time believing in APR because they associate with VW/Audi and not the likes of Ferrari and the other Italians. That being said, I stand by, our Greek friend Skand.. and his comments, and Matt at GMP. Having a APR tune, FVD exhaust and SACHS 2.5 clutch I look forward to more numbers from GMP to help me understand why I out perform similar P car tunes. I also regularly see 1.0 BAR on WOT and have on a very rare occasion seen the meter flash above this reading. I am in total agreement, personal first hand experience, with Skand in Greece on this matter.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:36 AM
FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !
Yes, third gear pulls are a band-aid for not having the right setup, or pdk car.

Originally Posted by TTdude
I think most tuners on this forum use 4th gear pulls for better accuracy along with proper cooling as explained by Champion. Just look at all of Evoms' dynos and others as well.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:44 AM
leousm is infamous around these parts
I think next time GMP goes to the dyno (or anyone with APr tune for that matter) they should have both AFR AND Boost logged and graphed. Despite APR's claims of variable boost for a given load, I think it will give everyone a better picture of how power levels are achieved. It can only help to answer one of the most persistent questions about this particular flash.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by tclayj
You might have a point. My Ego had a hard time believing in APR because they associate with VW/Audi and not the likes of Ferrari and the other Italians. That being said, I stand by, our Greek friend Skand.. and his comments, and Matt at GMP. Having a APR tune, FVD exhaust and SACHS 2.5 clutch I look forward to more numbers from GMP to help me understand why I out perform similar P car tunes. I also regularly see 1.0 BAR on WOT and have on a very rare occasion seen the meter flash above this reading. I am in total agreement, personal first hand experience, with Skand in Greece on this matter.
Thank you for your comment...You see some people find it very hard to believe that a tune is better than another...Also,because someone wrote that my car might have other parts installed,have in mind that APR does not have a flash for anything but stock 997TT VTGs...We have 12 997TT with APR here in Greece...all tip cars...all dash gauges show 1bar...i took the time and efford to plug durametric,piwis and gauge to see and verify boost level...but there is no difference for me whether it is 1 or 1,2 or 1,3bar...I just wrote what i saw...and that was 1bar...As for different boost levels you have to read and understand APR engineering concept in this tune so to see why boost at my car is 1,0bar but can go higher with worse conditions...(hot weather,lower quality fuel...)

Last edited by skandalis447; 06-13-2010 at 03:58 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Official APR Tuned 997TT FAQ Thread......