997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Oil consumption question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 03:02 PM
AgentSteel is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by airmitch
In 7600 miles on my 2011 TTS, I haven't added a quart of oil.

Being a mechanical engineer and gearhead, I've rebuilt quite a few automotive and aircraft engines. Here's my two cents worth. Ring seating,including the oil sealing ring, happens within the first few hours of new engine operation. You can really see this in an aircraft engine where cylinder temperature is shown and notndiguised by liquid coolant. When the rings seat, the CHT drops by about 20 deg F. If the rings don't seat properly, the cylinder walls will glaze, leading to oil consumption.

The two enemies of ring seating are operation at constant RPM and constant load. Vary the RPM and vary the load (within reason) and things should go well.

I have seen situations where the rings didn't seat. The solution is to pull the pistons, install new rings, deglaze (hone) the cylinder walls, reassemble, and break in again.

Manufacturers recommend limited speed and load for additional reasons besides engine break in. Bearing seating is occurring in the whole driveline, and the manufacturers want this to be completed before stressing the system.
If what you say is true, the break-in has already partially occurred at the factory, since it is within the first hours of the engine running. I think you are on the right track, the engineers aren't really worried about the engine more so than the drivetrain to get the bearings to seat. Maybe that's why there is a RPM limit (basically a HP limit to the drivetrain) and limiting top speed. Previously on the M5, they required a strict break-in period (1200 miles, 4k RPM, top speed of 105 MPH) but didn't change the engine oil but only the rear differential fluid.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:05 PM
SVTHorsnake is infamous around these partsSVTHorsnake is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by xseal
Break 'em in easy, and they burn oil. Run them hard, and the rings seat.
That's not what physics thinks.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:40 AM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by E55AMG
I know this has been beaten to death but was reading some old posts and had a question.

Can't really say my oil use has changed with mileage (now have 35K). Pretty consistently, every 1,300-1,600 miles the low oil indicator will flash on the electronic dip stick. It will take pretty much quart to get to the top.

In reading some of the old posts some folks are using even more, while others are adding almost NO oil.

Would my oil use indicate any issues I may have long term? Meaning, if I wanted to put 100K on this car, would my use now (and from day 1 really) impact that?
I was told not to fill the oil over the last bar, meanng when I pick up my car it shows the last bar not covered. I was told that this is the correct level. If you over fill that bar, it will be bad for the car and will burn off. Not sure what it will do to the car but my sales person has proven himself to be in the know on the 911's. Perhaps this helps.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:53 PM
CaptnCrash is infamous around these parts
I just changed the oil today in our 2011 911TT. I measured what I drained out vs what the owners manual says it's supposed to have :

Manual says 7.9 qts approx to fill. [ I really like the "approx" part ]
Drained and measured 7.75 qts.

2131 miles highway and city use.

Given there's probably still some puddled in there or soaked in the oil filter and it may have used a few drops, I'd say that's about as close to zero consumption as you're going to get. I'm very happy with this. Very impressive for the first 2k miles too.

In all cases use the owners manual and compare that to what you drain out. Be careful not to significantly overfill.

--CC

Old 04-10-2011, 06:39 PM
gradyex is infamous around these partsgradyex is infamous around these parts
I know this has been beaten to death but was reading some old posts and had a question.

Can't really say my oil use has changed with mileage (now have 35K). Pretty consistently, every 1,300-1,600 miles the low oil indicator will flash on the electronic dip stick. It will take pretty much quart to get to the top.

In reading some of the old posts some folks are using even more, while others are adding almost NO oil.

Would my oil use indicate any issues I may have long term? Meaning, if I wanted to put 100K on this car, would my use now (and from day 1 really) impact that?

Chris I almost have 30000 miles on my car and it hardly burns any oil at all. Problem I have is my car sounds like its got marbles churning in the crankshaft (but only at idle). It might be "normal" but something tells me its not going to get better so lets trade problems!

Old 04-10-2011, 08:27 PM
doncamero is infamous around these partsdoncamero is infamous around these parts
I have a similar noise when my car is in neutral, idling with the clutch disengaged. I actually like the noise, It goes away when I engage the clutch. It kind of reminds me of the noise a Ducati motorcyle makes at idle.
I am not worried about it, or does anyone out there think I should be and if so why?

Old 04-10-2011, 09:25 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Not to make you guys nervous, but be aware that turbos can have IMS problems just like the NA cars:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruLdi...el_video_title

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP00c...el_video_title

Old 04-11-2011, 06:29 AM
Originally Posted by doncamero
I have a similar noise when my car is in neutral, idling with the clutch disengaged. I actually like the noise, It goes away when I engage the clutch. It kind of reminds me of the noise a Ducati motorcyle makes at idle.
I am not worried about it, or does anyone out there think I should be and if so why?
Do you by chance have a light weight flywheel ? If so that will also cause a rattle that's only there when the clutch is engaged, as soon as you press the pedal it goes away.

--CC

Old 04-11-2011, 01:23 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by gradyex
Chris I almost have 30000 miles on my car and it hardly burns any oil at all. Problem I have is my car sounds like its got marbles churning in the crankshaft (but only at idle). It might be "normal" but something tells me its not going to get better so lets trade problems!
Hi Ermanno; i've been following the thread on the other site. Does your car sound like the one in the vid Bob posted? I wasn't sure what this "noise" people were talking about but I definitely don't have that.

This is an old thread and my oil use is very good I think. have a little over 46,000 miles on it.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:50 PM
doncamero is infamous around these partsdoncamero is infamous around these parts
Yes Captn., I have the single mass flywheel in my car. I am disappointed that there is no technical information available from Porsche about the GT 2 RS, only what is in the owners manual. There is no detailed product description, nothing describing the engine mount system, or the oil temperature heat exchangers. I notice the engine oil reaches operating temp very quickly, as opposed to other Porsches I have owned. Do you know of any source for information aside from the various press articles?

Old 04-11-2011, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by doncamero
Yes Captn., I have the single mass flywheel in my car. I am disappointed that there is no technical information available from Porsche about the GT 2 RS, only what is in the owners manual. There is no detailed product description, nothing describing the engine mount system, or the oil temperature heat exchangers. I notice the engine oil reaches operating temp very quickly, as opposed to other Porsches I have owned. Do you know of any source for information aside from the various press articles?

My guess is the racket you're hearing is transmission rattle due to the single mass flywheel since it goes away when you depress the clutch. This is pretty common across several transmission types used by all sorts of manufactures. If in fact that is the case it's more annoying than anything else. Had the exact same issue with a ZF 6spd in a Vette. Sounds like a box of marbles is in the gears.

Your best friend is google search, it will find things just about anywhere including forums. I personally haven't seen much on the RS in terms of official publications.

--CC

Old 04-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Thanks for that.
The salesman at the dealership where I bought the car said he would get me the product information brochure for the GT2 RS, only available to dealers, but when he went to download it, it had been deleted from the website!

Old 04-14-2011, 02:48 AM
gradyex is infamous around these partsgradyex is infamous around these parts
Hi Ermanno; i've been following the thread on the other site. Does your car sound like the one in the vid Bob posted? I wasn't sure what this "noise" people were talking about but I definitely don't have that.

This is an old thread and my oil use is very good I think. have a little over 46,000 miles on it.

Yes Chris that is the noise only mine is not as bad. It occurs when the car is warmed up at idle. Pressing in the clutch wont effect it and it usually disappears after 2000 RPM. I am taking Kevins advice and using a thicker oil which helps. Also I change my oil every 5k mi and inspect the oil filter for metal flakes (you need to cut it open first). As long as you stay on top of it and it doesn't get worse i wouldn't worry about it. If you are not sure that you have it then you probably don't. A lot of these engines make the noise. Some are just louder than others.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:23 PM
turbo_banker is infamous around these parts
I have to refill my oil (from low warning level to the top) approx every 2,000 miles (35k MY04, 996tt).

I do generally town driving but also some quick highway driving (100-120mph cruising). Never any smoke apart from now and again on start up as I might expect, no leaks.

Does this sound OK or does it sound as though there may be an issue with the car as I have never driven anything that used this much oil!

Edit: Just saw this is the 997 thread, my apologies but it seems a good place to ask being as it is an oil consumption thread!

Old 04-26-2011, 01:42 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by turbo_banker
I have to refill my oil (from low warning level to the top) approx every 2,000 miles (35k MY04, 996tt).

I do generally town driving but also some quick highway driving (100-120mph cruising). Never any smoke apart from now and again on start up as I might expect, no leaks.

Does this sound OK or does it sound as though there may be an issue with the car as I have never driven anything that used this much oil!

Edit: Just saw this is the 997 thread, my apologies but it seems a good place to ask being as it is an oil consumption thread!
I do not like to read/hear of car owners waiting until the low oil warning light comes on to add oil.

I strongly advise you to use the oil level checking system built into the car and add oil before the level gets low enough to cause the low level light to come on. But do not overfill the engine with oil either.

Absent any other signs of engine troubles, no check engine light, no overheating, loss of coolant, no oil leaks, while the engine's oil consumption is a bit on the high side, it is still within acceptable limits.

Be careful you do not let needless concern over oil consumption that falls within the normal range of oil consumption to ruin your enjoyment of what is a very fine automobile.

Oil consumption depends upon many factors, some of which are how the car is driven, the oil used, how often it is changed.

Use a good approved oil of the proper type and viscosity grade. Change it at reasonable intervals. An oil as it is used gathers/accumulates water and unburned fuel and this reduces the oil's ability to protect the engine but also can add to the tendency of the engine to burn oil.

If you can avoid excessive idling and remember to high rpm usage generally ups oil consumption too.

But regardless, enjoy the car.

Sincerely,

Macster.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil consumption question