997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Oil consumption question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 12:35 PM
doncamero is infamous around these partsdoncamero is infamous around these parts
I will keep you posted as to how the oil consumption rate changes as the miles go on.
Paulinlaguna, you are the first person I know of who has noticed the correlation between hard break in and low oil consumption. That is, if there is one.
Possibly, manufacturers have resolved the issue of oil consumption in the current models? If they did, they sure wouldn't tell anyone, would they?

Old 01-08-2012, 12:14 PM
msf
msf is infamous around these parts
I check my oil level at each fill up. The small with top bar means over filled so you want this small bar to not be lit. The next wide bar means you need a half quart when it is not lit. I add a half of quart of Mobile 1 0w40 when this bar is no longer lit. The bar lits up again but never the top bar. A little under filled is better than over filled any day. I would guess about every 2000 miles, but since I check the oil at every fill up, I don't worry about the miles. It takes less than 10 seconds to check. You always want to check with a hot engine as well. So fill ups are a perfect time and a very good habit to practice. Lube is the life of your engine.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:18 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Cool First oil change

I do not understand why people just leave the factory filled oil in their car for 10K miles. I believe in doing the first oil / filter change after 1000-1500 miles. That gets rid of the first and typically heaviest / largest load debris that gets produced by a new engine. Thereafter, just go to the first recommended oil change.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:53 PM
doncamero is infamous around these partsdoncamero is infamous around these parts
So how many miles per quart of oil does your car get?

Old 01-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by hroussard
I do not understand why people just leave the factory filled oil in their car for 10K miles. I believe in doing the first oil / filter change after 1000-1500 miles. That gets rid of the first and typically heaviest / largest load debris that gets produced by a new engine. Thereafter, just go to the first recommended oil change.
You are dating yourself, you must be over 50 years old to remember the cars made in the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's before synthetic oils became widely used. Cars also used to bave magnetic drain plugs to catch bits of steel in the crankcase oil. Also, they used non detergent oils with slingers on the crankshafts instead of oil filters!
Modern Porsches don't need special break in oils, i guess.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:16 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by doncamero
You are dating yourself, you must be over 50 years old to remember the cars made in the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's before synthetic oils became widely used. Cars also used to bave magnetic drain plugs to catch bits of steel in the crankcase oil. Also, they used non detergent oils with slingers on the crankshafts instead of oil filters!
Agree. The synthetic oils being used nowadays are good for at least 10,000kms before the first change but you can do it at @7000kms if you are pedantic, or less so long as the oil has been in the engine for 12 months. Changing it below or before 12 months is just wasting good synthetic. When you look at the surface finishes on the liners and wearing components these P engines are as good as it gets and they simply don't produce the same degree of debris as the earlier designed engines.

The oil consumption in these engines is purely to do with the type and grade of oil being used. There are different variants (grades) that can be used from a fairly wide range of Porsche approved oils if abnormal consumption is happening.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:00 PM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
I don't consider my car to be an oil burner, but I use the oil level gauge to determine if I'm having a good time or not. If the gauge goes down a notch or two after a spirited drive then I've had a good time. I have found that using 5-40 has noticeably slowed the consumption.

Last edited by HUMMM 3; 01-11-2012 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 01-11-2012, 05:08 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by doncamero
It is not the oil I worry about. It is the metal scraps / filings that will come off ANY new any that I would want to flush out. Don't forget this is a dry sump car with ONE oil pump...

Old 01-25-2013, 01:38 PM
DrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant future
Just about to add my 2nd quart after 6k miles. I don't recall my 2009 needing any oil after 9k miles. Huh.

My 2007 just rolled 32k miles and I bought it with 25.5

I don't feel like I'm driving it any different. Oh well!

Old 01-25-2013, 01:59 PM
aggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud of
"Paulinlaguna, you are the first person I know of who has noticed the correlation between hard break in and low oil consumption. That is, if there is one."

I was very leery of low-mileage garage queens when buying my 996TT.
My last porsche was a 993 Cabriolet, I was the second owner and it was a garage queen with only 17k miles after roughly 5 years. I had minor but noticeable oil consumption and was told it was due to the lack of a hard break-in (rings didn't settle properly).

Old 01-25-2013, 04:13 PM
plinc is infamous around these parts
I'm very happy to see this thread revived. I was a bit worried when I had put just over 1k mi on my car (~25k when I bought it) and saw an oil warning pop up. I threw a quart in, got almost up to the max fill line, and have since gone down one bar. Glad to know this is normal.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:26 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by speed21
Seat? on what? Did you find those instructions in a cerial box xseal?

Guess what? Mine doesnt use a drop between changes. Now I wonder why that is???

And now i run it hard as i like as the rings "were" seated correctly just as the manufacturers owners manual specified.
Hey, your're back on 6speed. Welcome back. Many mechanics agree that babying these HP engines too long during brake-in time could create a less aggressive, more oil consuming engine. Took their word, never searched literature for real truth because these techs were no fools.
These turbos burn oil, when I bought mine new, the dealer gave me a case of Mobil 0-40 to satisfy the oil-hungry beast. I suppose with heavier wt oil some of that consumption would stop, but there is lots of literature stating best stay with 0-40w with these porsche-turbo engines. I'd say it is much more unusual to notice no oil loss between changes, i.e. each 10-12K miles, then to use a quart every 2Kmiles or so. And for my 07 turbo, the harder I drive it, it'll use maybe just a bit more oil; not sure if I drove it less fast/furious if there would be less oil loss but why worry about that. I really miss the dip stick, this business of waiting for computer oil check is a waste of my time, much quicker and more absolute with stick method. Maybe the ladies and fellows wanting to keep their hands a bit less techical like the computer method better who knows.

Last edited by johnww; 01-25-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:03 AM
Sobrut911 is infamous around these parts
I put 6000 miles on mine after one year without consuming any oil (assuming electronic dipstick was correct).I followed break-in procedure then drove it like I was late for my daughter's birth. I also don't like the idea of no manual dipstick. I've never had a manual dipstick break or fail. I can't wait to see what it's going to cost when the electronic dipstick breaks or fails to properly measure. Websters dictionary should define the opposite of KISS ( keep it simple stupid) as "electronic dipstick". I've put another 3000 miles on it without any oil consumption.