997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

07 Turbo or 2010/11 C4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 05:01 PM
getz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Getz -
95K is what the OP is being asked to pay for the Turbo . If he gets 5K off he's still 10K above retail value and 15K above wholesale. Then one day he goes to sell it and it has no warranty and it already has 10K miles. Not to mention the expense of maintenanace if the car is off warranty, needs parts, or if he decides to modify it. Just an exhaust is 4 or 5 grand. I'm in my 07 for at least 100K of mods and i love the car but he's coming very late to this 997 Turbo party.

On the new car he barely even needs mods, has 4 years of warranty and can order a 2011 car which is 6 model years newer.
95k I would agree is too much, but certified he will be unlikely to get the car for less than 90k (we'll see what happens). I would say he is about 5 grand to high. Check the for sale sites, there are very few cars listed for 80 grand, and those that are have light options and high miles. If you look at the 996s they are still selling in the 50s for nice examples (even early model years). If that holds true the rate of depreciation retards severely after about year 6 of ownership. The most rapid rated of depreciation is ALWAYS the second you drive it off the lot when new. This is a simple fact of car ownership.

For many there is no need to mod these cars. I have never been bitten by the mod bug, I most likely never will. It is unlikely that someone stricken by that need would not have the same propensity to change things on the 997.2.

As far as late to the Turbo game, it is still a supecar performance wise, with very few modern sports cars coming close to the performance (aside from the 80 grand GTR which lacks about 3 tons of sex appeal compared to the 911).

-Getz

Old 06-16-2010, 05:18 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by getz
95k I would agree is too much, but certified he will be unlikely to get the car for less than 90k (we'll see what happens). I would say he is about 5 grand to high. Check the for sale sites, there are very few cars listed for 80 grand, and those that are have light options and high miles. If you look at the 996s they are still selling in the 50s for nice examples (even early model years). If that holds true the rate of depreciation retards severely after about year 6 of ownership. The most rapid rated of depreciation is ALWAYS the second you drive it off the lot when new. This is a simple fact of car ownership.

For many there is no need to mod these cars. I have never been bitten by the mod bug, I most likely never will. It is unlikely that someone stricken by that need would not have the same propensity to change things on the 997.2.

As far as late to the Turbo game, it is still a supecar performance wise, with very few modern sports cars coming close to the performance (aside from the 80 grand GTR which lacks about 3 tons of sex appeal compared to the 911).

-Getz

The 07 cars were selling in the 80's over a year ago. To pay the same price a year later or even above it in my opinion reveals a momentary used car Turbo price bubble. It will go Timber!!!!!!!! at some point. It usually does . I have watched the prices of these cars for many years and the "Igottahaveit" guy will overpay on impulse.

If you are not a "mod guy" then it is even more of a buy to get the 997.2tt . They are not as easy to modify --yet -- and they come very nice right out of the gate . Even the wheels are nice for a change .

If you leave your 997tt stock it may be a nice car but it is no where near its potential . If you drove a modded car and got back into yoir stock car .. the difference is astounding.

From a financial perspective .. none of thse cars make sense . One can drive a cheap car and have transportation and even some comfort . Most buy thse cars because they love the car .

I do urge you to drive the different models , the different transmissions , and look at the prices over time . I learned the most about these cars when I went to sell or trade in my cars . If you think the guy who traded in that Turbo got even close to 95K it is dreaming .

Old 06-16-2010, 05:25 PM
SonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of light
Getz -
If he gets 5K off he's still 10K above retail value and 15K above wholesale.
I refrained from butting in a while back as most of your responses are simply unfounded, but this post is just too much. The $78k on the Porsche I mentioned in the other thread was a lease return and basically the price was the amount owned on it. Show me a Porsche for $80k under 30,000 miles and I will buy it.<O</O

Old 06-16-2010, 05:57 PM
getz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud of
The 07 cars were selling in the 80's over a year ago. To pay the same price a year later or even above it in my opinion reveals a momentary used car Turbo price bubble. It will go Timber!!!!!!!! at some point. It usually does . I have watched the prices of these cars for many years and the "Igottahaveit" guy will overpay on impulse.

If you are not a "mod guy" then it is even more of a buy to get the 997.2tt . They are not as easy to modify --yet -- and they come very nice right out of the gate . Even the wheels are nice for a change .

If you leave your 997tt stock it may be a nice car but it is no where near its potential . If you drove a modded car and got back into yoir stock car .. the difference is astounding.

From a financial perspective .. none of thse cars make sense . One can drive a cheap car and have transportation and even some comfort . Most buy thse cars because they love the car .

I do urge you to drive the different models , the different transmissions , and look at the prices over time . I learned the most about these cars when I went to sell or trade in my cars . If you think the guy who traded in that Turbo got even close to 95K it is dreaming .

The timber happened when the stock market went to ****. If it goes there again, all lux. cars will take the hit. Used cars reach a point and depreciate much flatter after several years. As bad *** as the PDK Turbo is, it will take a drubbing just like every new car in its first three years out. I challenge you to find a PDK Turbo for under 150 grand. I love my car despite it being used. Brand new it had an MSRP of $152,XXX. I bought it for basically 87.5 before tacking on the CPO, with slightly over 8,000 miles. Do the math on what that guy paid per mile to drive his new for the time state of the art 911 Turbo. I would much rather be the second owner, have the car depreciate into the 50s after 4 or 5 years of driving it, than be the guy who put 8k miles to lose 65 grand.
-Getz

Old 06-16-2010, 11:24 PM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you all for such great debates/input. It is down to best value for the money. 997.2tt at $150K(pdk, new tech, new car smell, but expensive and 998 is just around the corner). Let say 85k for resell after 3 years. 07 997.1tt at 90K, guessing resell/trade in value after 3 years is about 50k. = 65k to drive new turbo/3 years or $40k to drive 07 turbo/3 years. And there is the economy... ; }