997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Wheels for 2011 TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 03:18 PM
Boulder is infamous around these parts
Wheels for 2011 TT

Hi all,

Brand new to the board. I have on order a 2011 TT, build date August, and have been researching wheels and would love advice/opinions. As of now my specs include the RS Spyder wheels; I have seen the Turbo IIs up close and really don't like them. The spokes are a different color than the hub and they seem to float.

I am considering switching the order to the stock wheels and then selling them and using the $s to buy either the HRE P40s or Champion RS171s. I believe the Turbo IIs retail for around $6k. My dealer thinks I can get around $4k for them; one of the wheel dealers said they would give me $2k.

I really like the Spyders but am leery of the center locks in the event I want to buy a second set of rims, which pretty much would then have to be center locks, limiting my flexibility. I do think the P40s and RS171s are sharper than the Spyders.

Any/all thoughts are welcome. The car is carrera white, black leather.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Platinum Sponsor
WHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Boulder
Hi all,

Brand new to the board. I have on order a 2011 TT, build date August, and have been researching wheels and would love advice/opinions. As of now my specs include the RS Spyder wheels; I have seen the Turbo IIs up close and really don't like them. The spokes are a different color than the hub and they seem to float.

I am considering switching the order to the stock wheels and then selling them and using the $s to buy either the HRE P40s or Champion RS171s. I believe the Turbo IIs retail for around $6k. My dealer thinks I can get around $4k for them; one of the wheel dealers said they would give me $2k.

I really like the Spyders but am leery of the center locks in the event I want to buy a second set of rims, which pretty much would then have to be center locks, limiting my flexibility. I do think the P40s and RS171s are sharper than the Spyders.

Any/all thoughts are welcome. The car is carrera white, black leather.
We can help! HRE does make the HRE P40 in centerlock as well as their competition wheel line. Below you will see the GT3 on their newest centerlocks.

1.866.519.4335 ext 2103
Web: www.wheelsboutique.com
Email: Jonathan@wheelsboutique.com

#1 HRE Dealer Worldwide / DPE Wheels / Vertini / Work Wheels / D2 Forged / TechArt / Novitec / Brabus / Carlsson / AC Schnitzer / Mansory / Kooks / Corsa / RENNTech / WALD / Milltek / Tubi / Champion Motorsports / AWE / RSS / BBS / Brembo / Hamman / Eisenmann / KW / H&R / Nitto / Pirelli / Michelin / Dunlop / Goodyear / Falken / Continental and tons more....
Old 06-22-2010, 03:56 PM
Former Vendor
Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !
I would go with the Tech1 Superalloy wheels, easily the lightest and strongest alloy wheels in the world.

Last edited by Neil Switzer; 06-22-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:40 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
In addition to other great brands like HRE and Champion which we distribute, we also have our own signature wheel in both 5 bolt and center lock options.

Here is the our GMG WC-GT Mono 19" 19x9 and 19x12
Fully Forged built to TUV specs.
Fronts weigh in right under 19lbs and the rears are slightly over 20lbs.
More info can be found on our website.

http://www.gmgracing.com/porsche_wheels.shtml

Available in 3 colors- Silver, Charcoal Gray ( shown) or satin black.

Here is the center lock version:

Old 06-23-2010, 03:50 AM
handdoc is infamous around these parts
go aftermarket!

Old 06-23-2010, 05:50 AM
mhh
mhh is infamous around these partsmhh is infamous around these parts
This is the problem with board sponsors. Everyone has something to sell.

I wouldn't pay extra for the RS wheels on a straight Turbo but was happy to accept them on my S order as standard spec. If I was you, I would take the standard wheels and run them for a month and then decide whether to keep them or not. They are a nice wheel.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:56 AM
Tech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond repute
The big advantage of high quality forged wheels is the weight savings.
With the right product you can save about 30 lbs of unsprung weight. That will have a dramatic positive effect on acceleration, braking and ride quality.
Have fun!

Old 06-23-2010, 09:13 AM
Boulder is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Tech1_Mike
The big advantage of high quality forged wheels is the weight savings.
With the right product you can save about 30 lbs of unsprung weight. That will have a dramatic positive effect on acceleration, braking and ride quality.
Have fun!
Do you happen to know how the weight of the Spyders compare to the HRE and Champion (and other) monoblocks/forged? I am sold on the better performance of the lower unsprung weight. Thanks.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:34 AM
Tech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Boulder
Do you happen to know how the weight of the Spyders compare to the HRE and Champion (and other) monoblocks/forged? I am sold on the better performance of the lower unsprung weight. Thanks.
The factory wheels weigh approximately 23.5lbs in front and almost 29 lbs in the rear. These are high quality wheels, for sure.
Aftermarket weights vary by manufacturer, offset and finish so I will only speak to our own Tech1 product. A typical 997 Turbo fitment is 19x8.5 in front and 19x11.5 in the rear. We weight optimize our wheels to the specific vehicle so they are quite light. We use the German TUV load requirements in every case.
Our Tech1-210 in 19x8.5 front is 16.5 lbs and the 19x11.5 rear is just under 20 lbs. (Centerlock versions of these wheels are slightly heavier.)
Simple math shows an almost 30 lb savings in unsprung weight.

Attached Images   

Last edited by Tech1_Mike; 06-23-2010 at 09:43 AM.