997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Anyone with EVOMS Stage 3 Clutch?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 11:13 PM
AlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant future
Anyone with EVOMS Stage 3 Clutch?

I currently have about $580lb/ft awtq at 3500rpms and the stock clutch slipped on me a few times.
I am thinking about installing EVOMS Stage 3 kit next week. Is anyone running it? How does it feel compared to stock?

PM if you are not comfortable discussing it openly.

Thanks,

Alex

Last edited by AlexM; 06-26-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:51 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Noob question - what does a slipping clutch feel like? Is there a smell too, such as burning? I'll be increasing torque soon so just wondering.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:09 AM
AlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant future
Imagine flooring a car on ice with traction control off. You rev but the car is not accelerating or accelerating barely.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:12 AM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
You feel that revs are building but the car is not putting the corresponding power to the wheels, i.e. reduced actual drive shaft rotation.

Yes, there is a very distinct smell as well.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:17 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AlexM
I currently have about $580lb/ft awtq at 3500rpms and the stock clutch slipped on me a few times.
I am thinking about installing EVOMS State 3 kit next week. Is anyone running it? How does it feel compared to stock?

PM if you are not comfortable discussing it openly.

Thanks,

Alex
The stage 3 should be perfect for your current power level. I have a stage 4 with dual mass FW but I have a little more power. I told Todd I did not want to change a clutch again...
http://www.evoms.com/marketplace/Vie...56C05044454%7D
If you plan to mod above 600 whp much I would consider the stage 4. It does not drive like the stock setup, however. It is much more on/off (quick grabbing) ie lots of stalls until you get used to it. You will never find a valet that can drive it!! LOL. Its much cheaper than a Tilton (which I will never need anyway).

Ria (Rich) in SF is running EVOMS stage 3. He can tell you more how it drives if you want to PM him.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:27 AM
RiA
RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !
I was running the Stage 3, but have moved onto the stage 4 w/LWFW as well. The stage 4 is much better than the stage 3 in my opinion.

When my stage 3 started to slip, it was not smooth like slipping on ice, it shook the car like a major earthquake - felt like all the bolts in the car were coming loose and I was riding on square tires.

p.s. I'm also running the GT2 hydraulic conversion - highly recommended.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:58 AM
tclayj is infamous around these parts
Clutch

I am running a APR tune which has tremendous torque, greater than 640ft./lb. After many discussions and research I chose a SACHS 2.5- not the 2.0, from AWE. A little lower engagement point but feels just like stock. There are no on/off stalls but I feel the engagement allows for quicker shifts. Granted I do not have upgraded turbos and dont plan to. Drivability is very similar to and an improvement over stock.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:08 PM
997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute
take sachs performance, if you need numbers can give you.
i have 1000Nm and it's working, regarding to your question is feels like stock.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:17 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tclayj
I am running a APR tune which has tremendous torque, greater than 640ft./lb. After many discussions and research I chose a SACHS 2.5- not the 2.0, from AWE. A little lower engagement point but feels just like stock. There are no on/off stalls but I feel the engagement allows for quicker shifts. Granted I do not have upgraded turbos and dont plan to. Drivability is very similar to and an improvement over stock.
To help the OP, here's a breakdown of clutch system combinations that Sachs offers. What tclayj is describing is what many have chosen to retain a feel very similar to stock.

The Sachs "2.5" is not an official clutch system that Sachs offers. It's something dubbed by AWE, combining the Sachs stage 2 clutch system with an upgraded 764 pressure plate (Sachs 2 usually uses 752 pressure plate.)

752 pressure plate is rated by Sachs to 544 lb ft (with organic faced clutch)

764 pressure plate is rated by Sachs to 650 lb ft

Old 06-26-2010, 01:24 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
To help the OP, here's a breakdown of clutch system combinations that Sachs offers. What tclayj is describing is what many have chosen to retain a feel very similar to stock.

The Sachs "2.5" is not an official clutch system that Sachs offers. It's something dubbed by AWE, combining the Sachs stage 2 clutch system with an upgraded 764 pressure plate (Sachs 2 usually uses 752 pressure plate.)

Here's another rep for you! Excellent info. I was wondering what the difference was b/w Sachs 2 and 2.5.

Anyone actually compared 2.5 and 3? I guess if the 2.5 is good up to around 650 then it should be more than enough for any of my future needs (I think!). Is there any down side to the 3? It seems to be about the same price but with a higher rating.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:58 AM
997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bbywu

was using both plates but 764 is design to work with organic disc w/o any moving things (i'm not thinking about springs)
this kit was design for ruf.
the feeing is not so nice.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 997 GT3 RS/TT
was using both plates but 764 is design to work with organic disc w/o any moving things (i'm not thinking about springs)
this kit was design for ruf.
the feeing is not so nice.
Can you please elaborate.

Assuming the pressure plate is the same used for either plate applications;

Are you saying the 764 plate is "not so nice" or, is it the 752 with the organic facings that is not so nice. Also, explain not so nice?

I'm assuming a 764 plate has ceramic facings (friction material)? And is a segmented clutch plate?

I'm assuming the 752 uses the conventional "full circumference" of bonded organic friction material, (not segmented on the plate)?

Both plates dont use springs.. correct?

Last edited by speed21; 06-27-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:13 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I have the Evoms stage 3 .

First you must realize that there is a transition going from a stock clutch to a perfomance clutch of any type.

I never particularly liked the stock clutch . It was soft and comfy but finding the point of engagement having power assist was awful to me. It was so bad that i almost kept my 997S after my test drive .

Going up the ladder of HP the stage 3 was the move as part of my EVT700 .
At first I did have to get used to the change but that didn't take long. The engagement point was tricky at stock but with the upgrade enters a newer challenge.

The BEST thing i ever did was remove the power assist via the Gt2 conversion . Evoms can probably explain this all to you better than i can . I LOVE my new clutch more than when it was stock !!!!!!

Now it is true that i have to press harder but I am ok with that . I can finally feel the exact catch point of the clutch and i feel confident that it can hold the massive Hp in my car .

Last edited by yrralis1; 06-27-2010 at 11:18 PM.