997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

07turbo bullet-proof image shattered + PDK comment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 10:23 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
07turbo bullet-proof image shattered + PDK comment

Coming from M3s well recognized for engine problems...got the turbo because literature shows these turbos high on trouble-free list. 30K miles bad engine problems, turbo could only be driven >3K RPM without stalling, just a bad situation
7-days at dealer found two mass sensors and actuator shot. Tech says doubtful warranty would have covered this with aftermart exhaust. I guess that depends on dealership. So much for bullet-proofed 911 turbos.

Did drive Panamera with PDK. Found no difference from newer automatics. Earlier because of the 50HP, I was going to trade for a turbo S, but driving the PDK, I wouldn't want the trubo S without a manual trans.The fun and involvement vanishes with the PDK. Wonder why Porsche wants two automatic transmissions anyway....one oil driven, one dry clutch but both very much alike.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:42 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnww

Did drive Panamera with PDK. Found no difference from newer automatics. Earlier because of the 50HP, I was going to trade for a turbo S, but driving the PDK, I wouldn't want the trubo S without a manual trans.The fun and involvement vanishes with the PDK. Wonder why Porsche wants two automatic transmissions anyway....one oil driven, one dry clutch but both very much alike.
The PDK in the Panamera is a much tamer version designed for a luxury car . It's similar in concept but not in aggressive shift patterns .
Drive a 997S or a Turbo .. then decide .

Old 06-28-2010, 01:40 AM
jpc
jpc is infamous around these parts
The "bullet proof" reputation mainly concerns the mechanical parts of the engine. A peripheral part can always break unexpectedly.
BTW I have stickshift 07TT and drove the PDK 10TT of a friend and absolutely loved it.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:44 AM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
When I think of the 997TT engine being "bullet-proof", I think about the fact that catastrophic failures are exceedingly rare. No matter what car you own, O2 sensors, MAF sensors, etc. occasionally fail. Comparing a sensor and actuator failure to the problems with the BMW M3 engines is an apples to oranges comparison. I am sure it was frustrating for your car to enter limp mode but that does not constitute an engine failure.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:34 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
I have never accepted the term "bullet proof" when describing any engine. I think it is an over-enthusiastic term applied by Porsche lovers. There are Porsche engine failures. Considering how many Porsche owners track their cars, and do so for years on end, the incidents of failure are relatively small compared to the heavy use that they see.

That being said, I have to agree that a sensor failure is not an engine failure.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:24 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
How many miles? MAF sensors are not lifetime items. The actuator is the VTG actuator arm? There was a service bulletin regarding lubrication of that item to prevent sticking. Bulletproof usually refers to the bottom end of the block

Old 06-28-2010, 02:55 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
If one more person calls a PDK an automatic transmission I am going to listen to Queen on level 20!

Old 06-28-2010, 03:39 PM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
Originally Posted by germeezy1
If one more person calls a PDK an automatic transmission I am going to listen to Queen on level 20!

The PDK IS an automatic transmission.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:16 PM
getz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud of

How would you prefer it be labeled?
-Getz

Old 06-28-2010, 07:01 PM
djben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond repute
Same with BMW's SMG.... They should have disabled "automatic" mode from the factory so people wouldn't drive it and think it should shift like an automatic -- it is a manual with a computer working the clutch for you. Drive it as such and it is fine.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:15 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by djben
Same with BMW's SMG.... They should have disabled "automatic" mode from the factory so people wouldn't drive it and think it should shift like an automatic -- it is a manual with a computer working the clutch for you. Drive it as such and it is fine.
Bingo, another bit of trivia.....does anyone know that some autos have clutches instead of torque converters and that there was a manual that had a torque converter? Wether its controlled by your left foot or Nasa space control....and no matter what kind of power transfer medium. The transmissions are seperated by what is inside of them. You can not mistake one for the other when they are apart and side by side.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:47 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by getz
How would you prefer it be labeled?
-Getz
I like to think of it as a semi automatic hybrid.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:53 PM
Rocket man is infamous around these parts
Guys: I have to say I love the PDK, I drove it on my friends C4s, it was great, the only thing that I didn't like was the push button deal on the steering wheel, it was hard to get use to at the race track and on the road. But!! the shifts were fast, it reminded me of my Sequential box on my race car. ( with out the gear whine) If it was paddle shift, it would have been different for me, but 6 speed is nice anyhow. I'll enjoy it for what it is. My 2 cents.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:42 PM
nizzoc4s is a jewel in the roughnizzoc4s is a jewel in the roughnizzoc4s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by yrralis1
The PDK in the Panamera is a much tamer version designed for a luxury car . It's similar in concept but not in aggressive shift patterns .
Drive a 997S or a Turbo .. then decide .
For the record, the PDK gearbox in the Panamera is unique to it, ie COMPLETELY different piece of kit from what they use in the 911s and Boxsters/Caymans.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:01 AM
Swoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really nice
I think it's gonna take more than a couple MAF's or O2 sensors and a VTG actuator failing to "shatter" the bullet proof image of that engine. Heck those items are not even part of the engine which I am pretty sure what being "bullet proof" refers to.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 07turbo bullet-proof image shattered + PDK comment