997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

911 tt or gt3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Adam D is infamous around these parts
911 tt or gt3

Hi Guys

Im trying to decide on what to buy... I am in the market in the next 6 or so months. I just sold my 2007 z06 and I am ready to enter the porsche world! something I have dreamed about for a while. My dilemma is what one...gt3 or 911 tt. I am looking for a 07-08. I love the look and idea of the gt3 but worry that in its stock form it is too slow. I will admit I do not hit the track very often but the rawness of it consumes me. What can be done to it with little dollar -15,000 to make it faster? Now the 911 is the power I want but I worry it is a little to boring (this is based on posts not actual driving, as i have not had the chance yet) I know it can be stiffened up a bit fairly easliy. I love the 911 tt and I LOVE that it can easily be a 600 to 650 hp monster.

Help me decide a bit... I know I need to get out and drive both.

Thanks in advance!

Adam

Old 07-01-2010, 10:56 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Coming from a Zed, I'm pretty sure you'll be 'disappointed' with the power of a GT3. Not that it's some slouch, but sounds like you need FI. Couple that with mostly street use, I don't see how the GT would fit your needs. And the turbo 'boring'?

Old 07-01-2010, 11:00 PM
Sorry, maybe boring was the wrong word... "Raw" may be better. some of the reading I have done said that it is to automatic, not enough feeling. Again I do need to get out and drive it.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:03 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
GT2

bob

Old 07-01-2010, 11:05 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
GT2

bob
Sure Bob. How about Carrera GT's for everyone too!
Is that a new acquisition in your avatar????

Old 07-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by bbywu
GT2

bob
Would LOVE one of those... Im looking to spend 100 to 140 so thats out of the question

Adam

Old 07-01-2010, 11:17 PM
Maybe the answer is picking one up for just over 100 and adding one of these packages from the tuners on the site.... Sounds like they can be pretty mean.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:41 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Adam D
Would LOVE one of those... Im looking to spend 100 to 140 so thats out of the question

Adam
You can get a 997 GT2 for $130-$140k these days...

If that's too much, try a 996 GT2.. That's what I chose.. Raw, fast as hell, can be set up to be absolutely mentally fast at the track and if you need straightline speed, you can easily get to 800 RWHP.

I also came from a ZO6 and the Porsches are night and day different and the interiors are 1000% better in terms of fit and finish.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:45 PM
AlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant future
Do yourself a favor and go drive both of them on the same day. Fly to CA or FL for a few days and visit a couple dealers that have those in stock.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:15 AM
JT1198 has a spectacular aura aboutJT1198 has a spectacular aura aboutJT1198 has a spectacular aura about
Given that you aren't tracking the car, I think the turbo is a no-brainer.

I also switched from a Z06 earlier this spring and have 0 (ZERO) regrets. There is no way the turbo is boring, but I too had your (probably somewhat unfounded) concerns for feeling like I needed at least similar power. One of my Zs had the Lingenfelter 616 kit installed and I found it to be strong but rough. To me it almost ruined the car a bit and I think this is one of THE most important differences between the Z and a turbo. I stopped at Sharkwerks on my drive home and had the EVOMS tune put in and the with the tubi exhaust it makes around 580hp - but feels NO DIFFERENT from stock. No loss of the beautiful refined power that these cars put out from the factory what so ever. Just really impressive pulls when you want them.

Refinement in all aspects of the driving experience (even with light mods) is what you can expect from the Porsche in my opinion. And believe me, every bit as exciting or even more so than the Z. Best of luck with your search!

Old 07-02-2010, 12:20 AM
Ray
Former Vendor
Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !
Sounds like a turbo will fit you well. And can enjoy a TT couple more months a year than a GT3 at Edmonton!

Old 07-02-2010, 03:57 AM
NJR911 is infamous around these parts
I had the same delimma and ended up with a 07 turbo. One of my best friends/track buddies bought a 07 gt3 and it is a precision driving machine. Whan I am at the track I feel sometimes I should have bought the gt3 but I love the flexability of my turbo. It has a back seat and when rolling down the road, there is nothing like turbo torque and it still works well at the track. But just like everyone else here I would like to own every model porsche makes!

Old 07-02-2010, 05:18 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Hi

I would say comparing the Corvette and the 997TT, its the Corvette that is boring, so dont worry about that. The GT3 is a rear wheel drive car that is made for the track, it will be a pain if you only now and then drive on the track. The TT is a really fast and can also be taken to the track, still being relatively comfortable everyday supercar, although after making a 600km road trip, my back was asking for my old E55 AMG back.

Looking at your previous car, and the specs of what you are looking for, go for the TT.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:40 AM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
Do what I did. Get a 997 Turbo for the street, and a 986 BoxsterS for the track. Good luck with your search.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:54 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
997TT without a doubt, the gt3 is a little more track oriented, but still a street car. The bottom line is the turbo fulfills all of it's missions well. Once you align it and put some on cups, even at the track you won't have to worry about gt3's, I don't.
The turbo can be driven 365/rain/snow/track/kids/etc, what other car can do all of that and ask for more?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 911 tt or gt3