997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

CEL help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 08:47 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
CEL help

Have had this code since my drive to SoCal a few months back. Was cleared once by BBI with a handheld codereader the first time. Went away for several hundred miles and came back. Second time was cleared via PIWIS. Came back a third time and this time I used my cheapy Actron unit:

P2097 and P2097pd

From what I've found, this translates into "Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Rich, Bank 1"

My only 'power' mod is a BBI exhaust with 200 cell cats. No flash, engine is stock. Never run MS109, only the crap 91 octane we have on the West Coast. Is this a bad cat, a bad O2 sensor, or possibly both?

It was suggested to me to change out the O2 sensor. Well, this isn't a $2 part (more like $160-170). I'd rather not do this if it's not the problem. If it turns out to be a bad cat, Betim said he would send me another one.

Any suggestions on how to diagnose the specific problem/and or fix it without shelling out unnecessary $$$?
Thanks.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:15 AM
tranman329 is infamous around these parts
maybe you should get a durametric cable and do some logs and have someone try to read it?

Old 07-03-2010, 05:36 AM
handdoc is infamous around these parts
boney,
is there a local shop with a real porsche computer...if so thats your answer

my local porsche tuner has an authentic porsche laptop thingie...just like the dealer

Old 07-03-2010, 09:36 AM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tranman329
maybe you should get a durametric cable and do some logs and have someone try to read it?
May work, but I'm trying NOT to spend more unnecessary $$$

Originally Posted by handdoc
boney,
is there a local shop with a real porsche computer...if so thats your answer

my local porsche tuner has an authentic porsche laptop thingie...just like the dealer
EVOMS has the 'thingy' (aka PIWIS). They cleared my code the second time but don't know what they found before they did it. Them being a good 45 minutes away from me plus they're always busy as hell doesn't make them the easiest solution.
But if PIWIS is the only way to get an answer, then that's the route I have to go.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:51 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Swap your left and right pre-cat O2 sensors. Cheapest way to determine if it is the cat or the pre-cat O2 sensor.

I doubt it is the post cat O2 sensor, you could also do the same.

- bob

Old 07-03-2010, 11:07 AM
handdoc is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by bonehead
May work, but I'm trying NOT to spend more unnecessary $$$

EVOMS has the 'thingy' (aka PIWIS). They cleared my code the second time but don't know what they found before they did it. Them being a good 45 minutes away from me plus they're always busy as hell doesn't make them the easiest solution.
But if PIWIS is the only way to get an answer, then that's the route I have to go.

thats the route i would take...twist your arm to drive your turbo for a little ride...

Old 07-04-2010, 08:52 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
I have the same problem now, Cargraphic exhaust. I cleared it once with a hand held and now its back a 2nd time.

I have heard installing an o2 bung extension on the oxygen sensor connector will fix this issue. Im going to look at it now.

Pretty sure its just the aftermarket exhaust not jiving over time with the emissions monitoring sensors / data the computer is expecting to see.

I put on near 18,000m on the exhaust and never had an issue, only lately.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:11 AM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
gmoney,

We have a stainless steel bung extension that prevents the CEL 99% of the time, if the CEL is being caused by the reading of the post 02 sensor. I have them in stock. PM me if you want to try a set...

Regards,

John

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 07-04-2010, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by bbywu
Swap your left and right pre-cat O2 sensors. Cheapest way to determine if it is the cat or the pre-cat O2 sensor.

I doubt it is the post cat O2 sensor, you could also do the same.

- bob
While I'm quite handy with the hands in other ways, I somehow always manage to struggle/screw something up when dealing with the mechanicals/electrical aspects of a car. I'm shocked I got my V1 hardwire to work

Originally Posted by handdoc
thats the route i would take...twist your arm to drive your turbo for a little ride...
Always looking for an excuse. But getting to a shop an hour away during a weekday is oftentimes next to impossible (i.e. stupid job). Plus, it's not even a fun drive (i.e. traffic one or both ways).

Originally Posted by gmoney
I have the same problem now, Cargraphic exhaust. I cleared it once with a hand held and now its back a 2nd time.

I have heard installing an o2 bung extension on the oxygen sensor connector will fix this issue. Im going to look at it now.

Pretty sure its just the aftermarket exhaust not jiving over time with the emissions monitoring sensors / data the computer is expecting to see.

I put on near 18,000m on the exhaust and never had an issue, only lately.
gmoney, which code specifically did you get? Not that it should really happen at all with a 200 cell cat, but I've only had my exhaust on for maybe 2-3000 miles. This thing should be e'ffing perfect.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:46 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
If the secondary o2 sensor is reading fuel too rich, then you are not fully burning the fuel charge, I would think it's the plugs. The CEL code for a bad cat is usually 'p2095/2096 RL bank o2 beyond threshhold...'

Old 07-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
If the secondary o2 sensor is reading fuel too rich, then you are not fully burning the fuel charge, I would think it's the plugs. The CEL code for a bad cat is usually 'p2095/2096 RL bank o2 beyond threshhold...'
Well, that would be strange indeed. Only 13K miles on the car and no flash. Haven't experienced any of the hesitation/power loss from bad plugs either.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:55 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
You may not unless you really push it, mine ran ****ty at the track once after a flash at 30k miles, threw a CEL weeks later, multiple misfires.
The o2 sensor extensions are an easy diy but may not solve your problem, as you're not throwing the typical inefficient cat CEL code. if your fuel charge isn't being completely burn't , ie rich, it's usually not a bad cat.
One way to check is to see if you have a plume of black smoke in your rear view mirror when you hammer it hard.
c

Old 07-04-2010, 12:27 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
sorry, I just reset the code, did not jot it down but its the same one as last time, post cat sensor, too rich, same bank as last time also..forget the number exactly.

Im 90% sure its not a bad cat with this code, its common on may cars with aftermarket exhausts when the cats are swapped out.

It could indeed be the plugs, thats brings up a good point with most tuners stating swap them out at the 20k level when tuned right?. I have no hesitation, car runs hard as ever and I have just done 20,000m.

But then again that would not explain issues with cars with much lower mileage.

I know a number of exhaust companies state theirs dont throw codes but how long did they test the exhaust for? I highly doubt they stuck on 10k+ in testing miles to test the claim. Gas quality, spark plug condition etc. could all be factors.

Im going to order some extensions and test those out, John, do you have a direct link to the item?

thanks

Old 07-04-2010, 06:51 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
gmoney,

The extensions are not on our web site, but I can email you pictures tomorrow. If you are actually running rich, you will probably ruin your cats in short order, as the unburned fuel causes the cats to "cook" and will literally fry them over time. If the gasses are not being cleaned enough to satisfy the ECU, then that's common for aftermarket Hi-flow cats and the 02 bungs are a good fix for that...

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 07-05-2010, 03:59 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
I thought flashes took care of the post O2 sensor? I can run catless with no codes.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CEL help