997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Seat Back Leather Retrofit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 04:56 PM
moliandsam is infamous around these parts
Seat Back Leather Retrofit

Colleagues, I just took delivery of my Turbo s cab, all black. An amazing car in every respect. Options selected included only the basics, plus leather center console. I struggled over whether to cover the seat backs in leather, and opted not to in view of high cost. Now I regret that decision, having seen the discord between the unpainted seat and the rich dark presentation of the rest of the car. I don't care for interior paint, and prefer leather. Is it practical to have the seat backs covered in leather by an aftermarket contractor? Assuming so, does anyone have a recommendation in the Northern Va area? The dealer offered no guidance on this question. Thanks!

Old 07-09-2010, 07:08 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Ask around from various other highline dealers (Mercedes, BMW, Audi)....there is usually one go-to local person/shop in most cases. Then go see their work. It can be done.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:18 AM
xseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to all
Arlington Porsche has some leather guy they bring in to do repair work. When I was getting my new wheels, they showed me a 85 911 that the guy had come in and repaired the stock leather in a bunch of places, and you couldn't tell, really superb workmanship. My hunch is he's the guy you need to talk to. Call Mike at service and ask about the leather guy they use.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:07 AM
meaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by xseal
Arlington Porsche has some leather guy they bring in to do repair work. When I was getting my new wheels, they showed me a 85 911 that the guy had come in and repaired the stock leather in a bunch of places, and you couldn't tell, really superb workmanship. My hunch is he's the guy you need to talk to. Call Mike at service and ask about the leather guy they use.
Every dealership has a interior guy come by. I know cuase that's what I do but most do not recover seats. We repair like the 85 911 you refer to. We fill in all the crack and respray the color back on the seats.. Looks great if you know what you are doing but by no means is it as good as new.. As for having something covered, you can still ask the dealer cause they usually have a place they will take it to for leather seat covers job too..

Old 07-09-2010, 08:56 PM
Thanks, Gents. I'll check with some dealers. But I am concerned that an aftermarket leather retrofit won't look consistent with factory leather. I'll need to check around carefully.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:07 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by moliandsam
Colleagues, I just took delivery of my Turbo s cab, all black. An amazing car in every respect. Options selected included only the basics, plus leather center console. I struggled over whether to cover the seat backs in leather, and opted not to in view of high cost. Now I regret that decision, having seen the discord between the unpainted seat and the rich dark presentation of the rest of the car. I don't care for interior paint, and prefer leather. Is it practical to have the seat backs covered in leather by an aftermarket contractor? Assuming so, does anyone have a recommendation in the Northern Va area? The dealer offered no guidance on this question. Thanks!
what does your seat back look like now? isn't leather the basic finish?

Old 07-09-2010, 09:22 PM
The standard seat back is made of plastic coated to look like dark gray metal or ceramic. Leather is an expensive factory option, more than $2K as I recall.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:15 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
lol, I thought that "molded" look was an upgrade! I have leather on the back of mine. I did see some cars with black seats and silver molded plastic on the back that looks really good. I do like the leather on mine too so it was a win-win either way for me. good luck to you in getting what you want.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:59 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by The Bogg
lol, I thought that "molded" look was an upgrade! I have leather on the back of mine. I did see some cars with black seats and silver molded plastic on the back that looks really good. I do like the leather on mine too so it was a win-win either way for me. good luck to you in getting what you want.
you got the upgrade and didn't realize it. Isn't it nice when you hear things like that?